Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Jul 2010, 06:31 (Ref:2720634)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
’10 ALMS Round 4 • Utah • July 7th – 11th

......’10 ALMS Round 4 • Utah • July 7th – 11th
Schedule
Entry List
Track Map or Map 2
Timing & Scoring
RLM
IMSA Site
Spotters Guide or Guide 2
Live SpeedTV rounds "Q"ing Stream
Ten-Tenths Chat
Satellite Upper left of map, select aerial view
Weather
World Times

Qualifying Saturday July 10th, 2:55pm/14:55 local MDST ( GMT -6 )

L.P.

Last edited by jhansen; 9 Jul 2010 at 21:44.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2720966)   #2
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Might be reading far to much into it, but the entry list has the Highcroft car listed as a "Honda Performance Development" rather than "HPD"
Old 1 Jul 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2720974)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are.

L.P.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 03:28 (Ref:2720985)   #4
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice work. Thanks again Horndawg. Miller is not on my list this year, but I am looking forward to some bratwurst in August.
Old 5 Jul 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2722308)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Looks to be mildly hot and stormy in the Great Basin for the Utah Grand Prix.

L.P.
Old 5 Jul 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2722376)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
storms? like sand storms?
thanks again, HORNDAWG. i was beginning to have sportscar withdrawals...looking forward to it.
Old 6 Jul 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2722729)   #7
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
looking for Fisico and Vilander at Risi Comp !
Old 6 Jul 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2722784)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It will be interesting to see if Intersport can keep up their string of early race leading performances. If Clint started the last race I wonder if it will be Jon's turn again, although we found out at Laguna that Clint can swing that car around at the start too. The AER has the power for sure, but I would like to see them actually last more than a stint this year.
Old 6 Jul 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2722786)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
At least for the first stint, I expect it to be a Dyson/Intersport show, for one simple reason: turbos at high altitude.
Old 6 Jul 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2722802)   #10
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
At least for the first stint, I expect it to be a Dyson/Intersport show, for one simple reason: turbos at high altitude.
I would agree.
If only John could just stay in touch for the first 2:15, and then let his mad man out, they might actually win it! But....

L.P.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 00:08 (Ref:2722840)   #11
fjn356
Rookie

Miller has one medium long straight and the rest of the track is "follow the leader", even if the leader is a crippled GT2. There is almost no way to get by anyone unless it is on the straight.
You need downforce in qualifying to get thru the low speed turns (more than 3/4s of the total lap time) but speed down the straight in the race.
Intersport showed in last year's race that a flat wing will allow them to get past faster lap time cars on the straight and then hold up the faster cars through the turns. At least until the rear tires go off from the lack of downforce.
Cute for a few laps, but hardly a winning strategy. Add in the probability of John pulling another attempt to pass by punting off a potential winner as he did last year at PLM and you get some exciting TV. Kinda like WWF, if you enjoy that kind of thing.
I think it will come down to fuel and pit strategy. It is very difficult to build up a one lap lead at that track by racing and you know there will be yellows, so I think it will be the strategy guys that win or loose this one. I just hope RISI or Flying Lizards can hold of the Vettes and Bimmers.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 01:56 (Ref:2722852)   #12
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, but the front straight at MMP is about 3700 ft long-that's as long as the front straight at Pocono, and longer than the back straights at Daytona and Talledega. The only tracks that have straights as long as or longer are Le Mans(Sarthe/24 Hour circuit), the Nurbergring Nordschilfe/24 Hour circuit, Paul Ricard, and Road Atlanta(thought I don't consider it a full-on straight with all the flatout kinks in it).

Granted, it has that motorcycle/club track feel, but maybe the late Larry Miller-a amature racer in his own right I believe-asked Allan Wilson to make it that way. Also, bikes are more popular in that region of the US than road racing, though it seems to be catching on.

An Audi R15 might be at home at MMP, but since Audi doesn't plan on doing more races until Silverstone, we're out of luck there. However, because of that straight and the medium speed corners, expect a power vs agility showdown like when the Audi R10s raced there.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 03:59 (Ref:2722865)   #13
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi View Post
looking for Fisico and Vilander at Risi Comp !
Yep! Hoping for a good result for them.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 05:45 (Ref:2722885)   #14
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Spotter Guide is now online, complete with markings to tell the two Risi cars apart and the late omission of the #36 Genoa LMPC car.

Download at www.spotterguides.com or later in the week at the official ALMS website.

Thanks for everyone who has downloaded the guides during the year. Very much appreciated

Last edited by andy_b; 7 Jul 2010 at 05:52.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2722997)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thank YOU, Andy! you always make enjoying the races easier and more pleasurable.

i am hoping to see a trimmed out Intersport go like Stig on the first stint as well. just wish the little team can get the Lola and the twice juiced AER to last.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2723099)   #16
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Per Mariantic Drayson is out with an injury and is being replaced by Pirro. That alone should make the Drayson Lola a car to watch and possibly be a threat to win, if Cocker can keep a decent pace.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2723101)   #17
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Surprisingly prompt confirmation on Autosport: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85048
Old 7 Jul 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2723115)   #18
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82 View Post
Per Mariantic Drayson is out with an injury and is being replaced by Pirro. That alone should make the Drayson Lola a car to watch and possibly be a threat to win, if Cocker can keep a decent pace.
that certainly changes the LMP race a bit doesn't it? I am not worried about pace out of Johhny, but I am more worried about some mechanical problem with the car. That seems to have hampered them in races so far this year.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2723119)   #19
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Guide will be updated with Pirro helment, but it probably wont be until tomorrow.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2723140)   #20
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry for his lordship, but I am sure he would take the consalation prize of being a winning owner - which based on previous form has to be a serious possibility.

Intersport will make the first half great fun but they have a 3 way fight - driver, tyres, engine (which one will go bang first)

After the last effort, ALMS has set a tough benchmark for themselves but a 5 horse race is definately on the cards (and a shorter race will perhaps not allow Highcroft's reliability/experience/pit-stoppery to play such a role).

Speed are showing this live, so maybe dubious methods of NASCAR watching might help (with RLM audio of course)...
Old 7 Jul 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2723142)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
any word on how Drayson received the injury other than "not racing related"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Intersport will make the first half great fun but they have a 3 way fight - driver, tyres, engine (which one will go bang first)
hmmm....tough choice. i'll go with engine THIS time.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2723195)   #22
fjn356
Rookie

Just for the record, the back straight at Sebring at 3800 ft is longer than Miller and the straight at Road America is also longer than Miller. And maybe the turns at Miller can be considered medium speed, but because they are so close together there is very little passing, even between cars in different classes.

And I will bet on the tires going off just like last year. The real question is "how many laps and seconds can the Intersport hold up the cars he passes on the first 2 or 3 laps and will this let a leader gain an insurmountable lead?"
Old 8 Jul 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2723330)   #23
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the odds for the Drayson car now as well. Course, like as has been mentioned here, they have had their share of mechanical issues lately. We shall see.

We're lucky enough to be able to fly down and watch the race with our son and family this weekend. I'm really looking for forward to it.

I will share any tidbits I manage to pick up while there.

Cheers!
Old 8 Jul 2010, 02:53 (Ref:2723343)   #24
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
In the LMS, Rebellion's cars have had similar issues with mechanical problems. Is it the Lola chassis(not always suited to the rough and bumpy tracks of the US and Le Mans) or is the Judd V10 too long in the tooth and teams are sacrifcing durability for power and speed(like Peugeot at Le Mans)?
Old 8 Jul 2010, 02:58 (Ref:2723344)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
356, the Ullman Straight at Sebring is 0.595 of a mile, which translates to 3,142ft; remember, Sebring's start/finish straight is only 2,000ft if you want to visually compare.

The track layout at Miller is actually pretty open up until that first hairpin turn (Turn 5); Turn 1 is in 3rd for LMPs, and Turns 2-4 are taken in 4th and 5th gears. The perimeter course, which is what the ALMS now uses, has 14 corners basically. The trouble with the rest of the lap is that the "straights" from Turns 6-8, 10-11, and 11-12 aren't that long, and that none of those remaining turns, apart from the flat-out, right-hander at Turn 7, are particularly fast.

If it were me, I would loosen up "the Attitudes" as they're called (the turn 8-10 esse) and the following corner, with a straight a little further out between them. As for the full course, I would make the changes just stated, and change those two bends at the end of the infield straight to create one long curve that gets more of the turning done a bit sooner. This would be better for the racing and for overtaking into what is currently Turn 13 (the left-hander) on the full course.