Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 6 Oct 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2305280)   #1
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza 1960 - Italian GP

Enzo Ferrari inspects Hans Hermann's Porsche F2. Hans is on the right and John Cooper looks into the cockpit. Italian GP - Monza 1960

Refuelling Fred K. Gamble's Behra-Porsche at Italian GP, Monza 1960.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2306016)   #2
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Wolfgang von Trip's Ferrari

Hans Herrmann's Porsche

Last edited by Cub; 7 Oct 2008 at 11:36.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2306403)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is facinating stuff.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2306427)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love the Agip refuelling can.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2306439)   #5
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire

Centro Sud Cooper-Maserati of Alphonso Thiele

Vic Wilson, Cooper Climax
Old 8 Oct 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2306646)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, I reckon that we may be the first to view this treasure trove of pictures for many, many, years, and it's great that cub has chosen to reveal them to 10-Tenths. I really think, cub, that you ought to tell us the name of the photographer and in what capacity, he took these wonderful pictures.

(Incidentally, I do know who cub himself is, since he has contacted me by PM and these pics could be the first of many, so I think that we are in for a real treat)
Old 8 Oct 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2306851)   #7
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a wonderful stuff !!!
Thank you very much Cub for posting such these great pics.
Any shot of Giulio Cabianca in Cooper T51 ? (he finished 4th)
Old 8 Oct 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2306949)   #8
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Ok, I reckon that we may be the first to view this treasure trove of pictures for many, many, years, and it's great that cub has chosen to reveal them to 10-Tenths. I really think, cub, that you ought to tell us the name of the photographer and in what capacity, he took these wonderful pictures.

(Incidentally, I do know who cub himself is, since he has contacted me by PM and these pics could be the first of many, so I think that we are in for a real treat)
My father is the photographer. He was and remains an enthusiast for all motor sports. My mother worked in a photography shop and had access to early colour film and bought him a Voigtlander 120 format camera. They embarked on many, many adventures to various locations across Europe at a time when few people choose to drive around the continent for holidays. All of his slides are glass mounted but with rapidly deteriorating and very sticky taped edges.

My exercise now involves cutting the film out of the glass mounts, scanning and manipulating the result to produce a digital emulation of some truly fascinating material. I am then re-housing the originals film in some modern plastic folders. I am lucky that my Dad is still around to recall various facts about the people and places involved and sharing the results with a knowledgeable and appreciative community like 10-tenths would seem a good way to share the pleasure.

We are concious that publishing the pictures on a public forum makes them vulnerable to intellectual theft but on balance we feel that sharing some wonderful memories with an appreciative audience is worth the risk rather than leaving them to deteriorate in some dusty boxes.

I hope the mods will allow me to roll out results as and when I get the time to do the scanning and drip feed the threads as my Dad and I catalogue the results.

Just to prove this a family affair below is a picture taken at in front of the pits at Le Mans of my Mum with their Standard 8 in 1959 and another of my Mum and me at the Nurburgring in the early '70s.

Last edited by Cub; 8 Oct 2008 at 18:10.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2306960)   #9
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire

Horace Gould's Maserati

Phil Hill, the Winner of the Italian GP, Monza 1960

Last edited by Cub; 8 Oct 2008 at 18:26.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2306961)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Fantastic, and many thanks. I'm sure that we all feel privileged that you and your father are prepared to share them with us and we look forward to many more, as and when time enables you to do post them.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 18:48 (Ref:2306979)   #11
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Spaggiari
Any shot of Giulio Cabianca in Cooper T51 ? (he finished 4th)
May well be. We are still sorting.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2307000)   #12
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire

Seidel's Cooper F2

Dennis Jenkinson by Wolfgang von Trips' Ferrari F2

Last edited by Cub; 8 Oct 2008 at 19:28.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2307004)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Good Lord, this is astounding stuff. Especially as that race had so many one-offs to make up the numbers. Any shots of the JBW that nearly nicked a point? Or even Arthur Owen?

Also interesting to note John Cooper was there, despite the British boycott.

Many thanks for sharing.

(No. 10 is Wolfgang Seidel, btw.)
Old 8 Oct 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2307024)   #14
Navyflier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Braintree, Essex
Navyflier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enrico, yes there is one of Cabianco. We will come to it.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 20:04 (Ref:2307029)   #15
Navyflier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Braintree, Essex
Yes I do have a shot of Brian Naylor in the JBW. I was in his pit when he retired and I do believe he was in tears.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2307124)   #16
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Aw. That's sad...I suppose because he was *that* close to being classed as an A-graded driver?

First Brit to drive in the Daytona 500 though.
Old 9 Oct 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2307383)   #17
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I love the Agip refuelling can.
Also Fred Gamble's crash helmet.
Old 9 Oct 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2307536)   #18
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderful photographs Cub, we are privilaged that you have chosen to share them here.
May I respectfully point out the car shown in the bottom photo in post 12 is a Maserati 250F and not a Ferrari Dino
Old 9 Oct 2008, 13:30 (Ref:2307561)   #19
JeanL
Rookie

JeanL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for those fantastic photos,
I believe the car #22 post 12 is the Maserati 250F sn2529 of Jo Bonnier at the British Grand Prix 1958.
Old 9 Oct 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2307625)   #20
Navyflier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Braintree, Essex
Italian GP 1960

Yes Ensign! Not only John Cooper was there but also Lofty England of Jaguar.
Old 9 Oct 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2307633)   #21
Navyflier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Braintree, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesholland
Wonderful photographs Cub, we are privilaged that you have chosen to share them here.
May I respectfully point out the car shown in the bottom photo in post 12 is a Maserati 250F and not a Ferrari Dino
Absolutely right. This was Bonnier's Maserati at British GP 1958. When I put on the captions I didn't pay enough attention as I didn't then know that my son, Cub, was going to put them on the web. Sorry! I'll be more careful in future. However, I hope you enjoy them. There are more to come.
Old 9 Oct 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2307817)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, having stumbed on the Silverstone and Reims pics and having been directed here by cub - what can I say? Magnificent. Many many thanks to Navyflier (of whom I am very envious ) and cub for posting the pics here. I hope we will be treated to more?
Old 9 Oct 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2307953)   #23
Barry Boor
Rookie

Barry Boor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankly, there is enough material here for a wonderful book; but thank you so much for giving allowing us the opportunity to look at them free of charge.

Navyflier and Cub, you should both be very proud.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2310527)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
These and the other series of prints are the finest set of Historic Prints to find their way onto any Forum for many years,Thank You

I note that many of the foremost Historians have found 10/10ths due to the
decision to show the prints.Can we publish a book,?
Old 13 Oct 2008, 03:36 (Ref:2310706)   #25
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you Cub & navyflier for sharing these pictures with us, they are truly wonderful!