Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Oct 2010, 03:51 (Ref:2774140)   #76
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Sepang 2007 from 92 entries, 2 Civics finished in top 5 from memory behind a winning 996 RSR.
Production car guys here need to have some imagination and a bit of daring rather than crying like little girls.

The Silverstone 24hr race was on recently also, another race that combines GTs and production cars successfully, the Bathurst 12hr should be no different.

Read in Auto Fiction that Tony Quinn aims to enter a GT3R if allowed. No Mosler? Bit of a shame. Would love to see the Aston Martin in the field but I'll keep on dreaming .
Old 13 Oct 2010, 04:02 (Ref:2774141)   #77
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice comeback and contribution Woodduck...not sure to what but to answer the question,

A well passed its use date/not indicative of current Australian production cars BMW...amongst lots and lots of Evo's.

Does that firm up any argument you may have or will we play semantics or 'your mama...?
Old 13 Oct 2010, 05:17 (Ref:2774150)   #78
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nice comeback and contribution Woodduck...not sure to what but to answer the question,

A well passed its use date/not indicative of current Australian production cars BMW...amongst lots and lots of Evo's.

Does that firm up any argument you may have or will we play semantics or 'your mama...?
Here we go.....

I am simply highlighting a fact. The event in production car form was called an 'evo fest', this year a BMW won the race, and the sportwagon was 3rd..and FPV 5th. Sure Evo's where the dominant car, but with rumoured rule changes that might change..

At this years 12 hour - there where 10 EVO's (of various vintage) that qualified. Out of 41 - that makes up 24% of the field.

Last weekend in the 1000 supports, the GT field featured 11 Porsches - again of various vintage. Out of the 27 cars that fronted, Porsche representing 40% of the field. Given that Porsches are the most popular GT car for "semi professionals and enthuisasts" then you would have to think that a number of 997's and aging 996's will be wheeled out to join the event from Gt3 challenge, asia pacific region, and so on.

Even the Quinns are rumoured to be fronting in a GT3, rather than the Aston or the mosler.. less variety, more Porsche. Porsche is an endurance machine, so if I had the choice I would pick it.

Perhaps we are swapping an EVO fest for a Porsche-a-thon (that is if they actually front up...) ????

Guess time will tell.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 05:46 (Ref:2774153)   #79
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Quinn, what are you thinking?
Two of the world's most beautiful GT3 racing cars in his possession and he doesn't intend on using them for the 12 Hour? Both the Mosler and the Aston showed they could take it up to the Porsches on the weekend. Maybe reliability is the problem with the two beasts?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 13 Oct 2010, 06:09 (Ref:2774157)   #80
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gees fellas, don't shoot the messenger! I simply passed on the thoughts of a mate of mine who has run in the event for three years now. I understand about progress and the like, but please understand their position and disappointment in the outcome after they've spent a lot of money to better themselves only to have the goal posts moved, apparently without warning.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 06:15 (Ref:2774159)   #81
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
Two of the world's most beautiful GT3 racing cars in his possession and he doesn't intend on using them for the 12 Hour? Both the Mosler and the Aston showed they could take it up to the Porsches on the weekend. Maybe reliability is the problem with the two beasts?
GT3R on paper (before parity) is 4 seconds faster than a Cup S. Maybe you're onto something with the reliability. The much maligned Porsche truck will be there with all the bits to keep cars running...

Dave Wall was in fairness probably lugging a box trailer full of lead at Bathurst and not sure about James K...he had 2 wins at Phillip Island, maybe he had a nice lump of freight on board too...

And the Quinns are specials at Bathurst, just seems to be their track. Klark had the same affinity for Gold Coast Indy track.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 07:39 (Ref:2774184)   #82
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Sounds like the EVO fest is going to be traded for a Porsche fest.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 07:45 (Ref:2774188)   #83
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously Tony Quinn has changed his mind about entering two cars for next year. I remember reading somewhere that he was going to enter the Mosler and something else, which is probably the Cup R. I too wish he would enter the Aston.

You'd have to think if you put three gun drivers in an Evo X, which was prepared and tuned well, say by TMR and hammer around all day you would have a chance depending on the weather to finish in the top 5 - 10. Not a bad effort I would think against more exotic competition. You only need to look at previous 12 hrs & look at cars like the BMW 130i's & Honda Integra's and how high they finish up in the order.

It has been pretty quiet on the proddie car front with talk about the 12 hour. I think teams are also confused with the potential production car endurance car series for 2011 from CAMS & AASA as well as the Eastern Creek 8 hour to know what to do with the 12 hour.

I would say if proddie cars were allowed to use slicks and allowed a few more mods then you would see more commit.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2774643)   #84
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Well with Aus GT management leaving (thank god) then will the ban on Aussie teams running the latest cars be lifted?

Quinn's looking at running a GT3R so it would be nice if Ted Hughlin was allowed to run his 560-4 GT3 Gallardo if he wanted to run it (would be nice to have Allan Simonsen onboard ).
Old 14 Oct 2010, 04:33 (Ref:2774674)   #85
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Well with Aus GT management leaving (thank god) then will the ban on Aussie teams running the latest cars be lifted?
Hopefully the driver restrictions are lifted as well.

I wonder if any Carerra Cup cars will enter the event now as well?
Old 15 Oct 2010, 01:01 (Ref:2775175)   #86
kingers
Racer

kingers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cups cars for the 2011 Australian Carrera Cup are not allowed.

Here is a list of the vehicle can be found here.
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/com...ass-structure/

A 2010 or 2011 Cup car would be awesome.. 3.8litre and virtually the same aero as a Cup S!

cheers
Old 15 Oct 2010, 04:51 (Ref:2775215)   #87
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, my Lotus is eligible. Should be able to do 12hours on one set of tyres to keep the budget down.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 05:00 (Ref:2775217)   #88
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingers View Post
The cups cars for the 2011 Australian Carrera Cup are not allowed.

Here is a list of the vehicle can be found here.
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/com...ass-structure/

A 2010 or 2011 Cup car would be awesome.. 3.8litre and virtually the same aero as a Cup S!

cheers
With the removal of Australian GT management from the organising committee could the eligibility be updated to include latest spec GT3 and Carrera Cup cars?
Old 15 Oct 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2775280)   #89
deano2
Racer

deano2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
reliability i doubt is the issue....its speed i would suggest....the aston and mosler as it runs in the australian gt series is not the same spec as per homologated and therefore how it would have to run in the 12 hour.fortunately the 12 hour organisers will be getting rid of driver parity and bringing the cars back to their homologated spec!!!!
Old 15 Oct 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2775584)   #90
kingers
Racer

kingers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
With the removal of Australian GT management from the organising committee could the eligibility be updated to include latest spec GT3 and Carrera Cup cars?
I believe lastest spec GT3.. New cars like Porsche Club Singapore Porsche GT3R. None of the latest Carrera Cup cars though, you buy a 2011 Cup car for next years Carrera Cup series and you can only race it in that series untill 2013 (I believe, could be wrong). After 2013 you will be able to race it in Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge and whatever tickles your fancy.

cheers
Old 16 Oct 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2775609)   #91
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelise View Post
Hmmm, my Lotus is eligible. Should be able to do 12hours on one set of tyres to keep the budget down.
Looking at entering?
Old 16 Oct 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2775940)   #92
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingers View Post
I believe lastest spec GT3.. New cars like Porsche Club Singapore Porsche GT3R. None of the latest Carrera Cup cars though, you buy a 2011 Cup car for next years Carrera Cup series and you can only race it in that series untill 2013 (I believe, could be wrong). After 2013 you will be able to race it in Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge and whatever tickles your fancy.

cheers
CC management have committed the new 2011 Cupcars for three years (to get fair use out of the new rigs)...so 2014 before they will be eligible for GT3CC.

Dave, that Lotus is so light that that one set of tyres at Bathurst 12 hour will still be good for practice at the next Cue one hour!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2775952)   #93
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
CC management have committed the new 2011 Cupcars for three years (to get fair use out of the new rigs)...so 2014 before they will be eligible for GT3CC.
It is a joke though that these cars can only be run 'exclusively' in the CC championship. CAMS in this instance are an even bigger joke for allowing it to happen.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 06:48 (Ref:2775992)   #94
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't that the same as V8Supercars?
Old 18 Oct 2010, 02:56 (Ref:2776391)   #95
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
It is a joke though that these cars can only be run 'exclusively' in the CC championship. CAMS in this instance are an even bigger joke for allowing it to happen.
Is this Groundhog Day?...I think I read this post in 2003?
Old 18 Oct 2010, 03:35 (Ref:2776411)   #96
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL, the more things change...................
Old 18 Oct 2010, 03:52 (Ref:2776420)   #97
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
I wasnt the only one that go dejavu from reading that post?
Old 18 Oct 2010, 05:47 (Ref:2776446)   #98
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
From memory you could run Carrera Cup cars in multiple championships in 2003. Midway through 2004 CAMS and Porsche instigated the ruling.

Pretty disappointing for competitors and spectators alike.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 06:32 (Ref:2776452)   #99
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Not really a valid argument anymore. The Cup S is/was the generic (for want of a better word) GT3 car so it's the rig for mixed racing here in Australia with AGT until we get with the more modern program ala the GT3R.

The Cup Cars are for Carrera Cups around the world until superceded by a new model. It is what it is...
Old 18 Oct 2010, 06:44 (Ref:2776458)   #100
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Not really a valid argument anymore. The Cup S is/was the generic (for want of a better word) GT3 car so it's the rig for mixed racing here in Australia with AGT until we get with the more modern program ala the GT3R.

The Cup Cars are for Carrera Cups around the world until superceded by a new model. It is what it is...
An event like a Bathurst 12 hour would be ideal for a Cup Car along with a Cup S. Why is there a need to prevent people from racing the car in multiple classes regardless of whether a Cup S is available?

To ensure the viability of the mighty Carrera Cup compeition in Australia, put a clause in the purchase that you commit to competing in CC championship as a minimum - but still allowing them to run the car in a variety of other events or classes.