Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 5 Jul 2002, 19:27 (Ref:327886)   #1
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any MG owners here?

If so... What type? How old... and what do you think the future holds for the Marque?
Old 5 Jul 2002, 23:43 (Ref:327973)   #2
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live with one - does that count? MG Maestro 1600, currently racing in the MGOC championship, 1994 vintage.

I see a great future for the marque based on their current performance, and it makes me very happy However, I wish the owners of older MGs would stop whinging about later saloon cars "not being proper MGs" - surely, and especially in a difficult time for the British, second-hand and classic car industries, we should all stick together to offer support.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 18:58 (Ref:328283)   #3
MGF
Racer

Good point Maisie.... I know that some MG owners have the 'If it has more than two seats and no leaky roof, its not an MG' mentality.

I sold my MGF and bought one of the MG ZS's. OK I know that its based on the Rover 45, which was not the world most desirable car, but the transformation that MG have done is incredible.

The V6 engine has a very smooth power delivery, but get it up to 3500 rpm and its a complete hooligan!! And the chassis is well and truly sorted, with very little body roll in cornering.

It is nice to MG doing well on the track and commercially with their road cars.

I Read quite recently that in the last year, MG Rover have over Halved their losses, and are confident of making a large profit next year.... Not bad by any means considering Ford made a huge loss in the first quarter of the year....

Where are you racing next with the Maestro?

Last edited by MGF; 6 Jul 2002 at 19:01.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 23:21 (Ref:328379)   #4
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory Park, Sunday (as in next week, not tomorrow!). Also racing the Mini - please come along and say hi

If I could afford a new car, about the only ones I'd consider would be either a Zs or ZT, in trophy blue by preference. I'd love that flip green/blue I've seen on ZTs, but I already have one car with a paranoia-inducing paint job!
Old 7 Jul 2002, 22:20 (Ref:329029)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MGF
Good point Maisie.... I know that some MG owners have the 'If it has more than two seats and no leaky roof, its not an MG' mentality.
The current crop of MG's are not the first four- seat saloons from the marque.. I think the first was the Magnet (or something like that?)
Old 7 Jul 2002, 22:25 (Ref:329034)   #6
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And here's a piccy....http://www.millennium46.freeserve.co...es/sixthp5.jpg
Old 8 Jul 2002, 14:03 (Ref:329411)   #7
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It says that the cars were very successful stock cars.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 20:39 (Ref:329746)   #8
MGF
Racer

With a bumper like that I'm not surprised!!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 08:16 (Ref:334063)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the TD2000? the designs were originated from the classic MG.
Attached Images

Old 16 Jul 2002, 11:36 (Ref:334890)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a chap here in Brisbane who regularly hillclimbs a very original MG Magnette and he does quite well in his class.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 21:16 (Ref:335333)   #11
MGF
Racer

Well, I'm off camping in mine tommorrow... Not actually camping in the car, I'll have a tent of course... I'm off down to Dorset. So I'll speak to you good people in a week or so!!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 07:42 (Ref:352819)   #12
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd rather push a Triumph than drive an MG etc...

Old 14 Jan 2007, 10:59 (Ref:1814772)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There must be a fair number of MG owners who look at this website, so we'll resurrect this one, too! I purchased this 1969 MGC GT towards the end of 2005 for an absolute song given its condition (it had been sitting in a local showroom for about 25 years, part of a small collection). Just a lovely smooth drive and surprisingly comfortable and usable. This model was much maligned when announced and its sales were not helped by comments from the motoring press about 'terminal understeer', a gross exaggeration, in my view. However, in just over 2 years production, well over 9000 were sold, more than 3 times as many as the later BV8 version. This model has undoubtedly improved with age!-

Old 15 Jan 2007, 06:11 (Ref:1815481)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks great John, I really like the B/C GT's. And for less-than-frantic driving I suppose the C would be eminently suitable. I understand the "problem" with the C was not weight distribution / front heaviness, but rather a high polar moment of inertia - ie reluctance to change direction. Does that sound right?
Old 15 Jan 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1815552)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not something that I've experienced but then I do try to treat a car that is 38years old this year with some respect. I doubt I'll ever drive it quick enough to find its limits!
Old 16 Jan 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1816336)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent car John, I recall you told me about it at silverstone last year. BTW I own an MGB roadster, 1965 vintage. Its being discussed in this forum due to the modifications I've made.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 13:02 (Ref:1816502)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
BTW I own an MGB roadster, 1965 vintage. Its being discussed in this forum due to the modifications I've made.
Yes, I'm sure that you brought it along to that meeting, Peter.

I'm thinking of making a few mods (but mainly in period) to the 'C' but I'll save any further comment for the other thread.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1817312)   #18
MG Racer
Rookie

England
Ipswich
MG Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I own two MGF race cars not sure they vintage but both were built from 1996 VVC road cars. Currently race one of them in the MGOC Championship.

The second one was killed at Silverstone in 2005 never to race again but it is still in the garage. As I keep telling my wife I am stripping it for parts, although i have not touched in for over a year!!!

I would post a photo but I seem to be lacking in technical skills and cant work out how!
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:15 (Ref:1817424)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well, I'm not sure they would be regarded as Classics yet, although it is a sobering thought to think that they are now 11 years old! I'll pm you with my email address and you can send the pic. to me and I'll load it as a thumbnail via imageshack (unless you want to try it yourself!).
Old 17 Jan 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1817639)   #20
MG Racer
Rookie

England
Ipswich
MG Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do believe i have managed to work out the technicalities of this. Thanks to John for pointing me in the direction of image shack.

Destroyed MGF

Current Race Car

Old 17 Jan 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1817857)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1964 FIA MGB,and yes it,s legal,no big engine etc etc,I tend to only do endurance events[European] much more interesting and satisfying,better cirquits and better beer!There,s a picture on my website,if your interested.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 03:19 (Ref:1821412)   #22
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
John, a photo of a nice MGC GT for you, from a show yesterday. (more to photos to come in a new thread, there were some seriously rare & interesting cars there eg 1896 Benz)

Old 22 Jan 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1821938)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Lovely stuff, John. Bring them on!
Old 7 Apr 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1885548)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Lovely MG Magnette ZB Varitone. Great colour combination. Picture taken at the MGCC Silverstone meeting, June 2006

Old 11 Apr 2007, 07:14 (Ref:1888752)   #25
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Another MGC GT John, this one from Philip Island races. If you look here and in the Historic Racing Today section I have just posted a few photos from the weekend (only a month ago...) and a link to the gallery with 420-odd shots.