Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2737302)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pitstop Shenanigans

Flying wheels, cars colliding in the pitlane, I think we just stepped back in time 20 years.

I hope there is some serious fallout from this in regards to queuing cars in the pitlane under Safety Car, but I somehow doubt it will gain even a second glance.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 1 Aug 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2737311)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you think that the flying wheel caused the renault lollipop man to loose concentration?

massive mess up by the merc boys, doesnt even look like they got a nut on it at all, luckily no one was hurt and that the williams and sauber boys have practiced their keepyups!
Old 1 Aug 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2737313)   #3
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the contrary they will probably use to show how exciting F1 is.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2737441)   #4
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
On the contrary they will probably use to show how exciting F1 is.

well done...

hilarious and true...
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2737452)   #5
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly adds excitement..They'll probably fine them :S
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2737476)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It AMAZES me no-one has been seriously injured in the pitlane for as long as I can remember.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:28 (Ref:2737504)   #7
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Flying wheels, cars colliding in the pitlane, I think we just stepped back in time 20 years.

I hope there is some serious fallout from this in regards to queuing cars in the pitlane under Safety Car, but I somehow doubt it will gain even a second glance.
What are you going to do about it?? Make everyone where a orange vest and have the wheel men sign a release form stating the wheel is done up to the correct torque and then verified by a manager before the car can go out again, it is a bloody pit lane during a race sh!t can and will always happen
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2737520)   #8
GolddustMini
Veteran

it was interesting listening to the bbc forum, aparently (according to DC) the DTM has a system whereby the car will not drop off of the jacks without the wheel nut being correctly torqued, maybe they will try to implement something like this.

however Hungary pit lane appears to be a dead zone for renault mechanic braincells especially given the alonso incident last year
Old 1 Aug 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2737569)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quite what the Renault lollipop man was doing, I don't know.

As for the loose wheel, seeing that always makes my blood run cold. I know that Rosberg had only come out of the box, but I guess it was doing the best part of 40 or 50 mph already. It was pure luck that no-one was very seriously injured.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2737577)   #10
GolddustMini
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Quite what the Renault lollipop man was doing, I don't know.

As for the loose wheel, seeing that always makes my blood run cold. I know that Rosberg had only come out of the box, but I guess it was doing the best part of 40 or 50 mph already. It was pure luck that no-one was very seriously injured.
not to mention the fact that the wheels were probably spinning faster than roadspeed as he would have lit the tyres up at the time. so much energy when a wheel gets free!
Old 1 Aug 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2737579)   #11
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it never ceases to amaze me that F1 needs just so many personnel in a pit lane.
reduce the number of targets and you instantly reduce the potential risk, it's not rocket science.
Also, with less people to do the work (ie, 6 like Nascar/IndyCar) then it increases the time taken whilst making it easier to lose time, thereby increasing the chances of more overtaking in the pits which adds to the show.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 17:22 (Ref:2737583)   #12
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've thought for a while that the pits should be closed during the safety car. The only reason it didn't work before was because of the feul situation. It does always swap things round a bit, but I'm not sure I'd want to be the one explaining to a mechanic's family that something avoidable wasn't stopped because it spices it up a bit. 'They know what they are getting themselves into' - yeah, I know, and its true I suppose, but theres a line and I think the situation today shows this is beyond it.

Just my thoughts though, it doesn't seem like there's any great clamour for it to stop (frantic pit-dash under SC), so fair dues if nowt changes.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2737584)   #13
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did also like DC's basic lack of grasp of physics when he said the air in the tyre lightens them! Unless its a boyant gas like helium the air inside actually adds to the weight of the tyre not subtracts!

I know, I've opened myself to a whole world of pain and embarassment here!
Old 1 Aug 2010, 17:35 (Ref:2737588)   #14
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
I did also like DC's basic lack of grasp of physics when he said the air in the tyre lightens them! Unless its a boyant gas like helium the air inside actually adds to the weight of the tyre not subtracts!
I didn't hear him say that so I missed a good laugh! thanks for filling in the gaps for me.

I don't think you need fear being a laughing stock, I am confident you are 100% correct and what's more the higher the tyre pressure the heavier the wheel and tyre assembly will be (though not by much).
Old 1 Aug 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2737591)   #15
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't they use nitrogen though which is lighter than air?
Old 1 Aug 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2737595)   #16
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
Nitrogen is close to the same weight as air after all air is about 80% nitrogen and don't forget the weight of air in the tyre is related to the pressure, at 14psi the weight of air in the tyre is double what it would be if it had a puncture.

If you want to be really pedantic air contains water which makes it lighter as water vapour is lighter than both Oxygen and Nitrogen, the Nitrogen in the tyre is completely dry, Don't worry DC was definitely wrong on this one.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2737657)   #17
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder why no one debates the Ferrari pit idiots who managed to bring Massa behind Hamilton after the row of safety car pit stops

Obsolete discussion because Hamilton retired anyway?
Old 1 Aug 2010, 20:22 (Ref:2737715)   #18
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Wonder why no one debates the Ferrari pit idiots who managed to bring Massa behind Hamilton after the row of safety car pit stops
Because it was simply down to a slight slower Ferrari stop, due to the fact that the crew had about 1 second between Alonso leaving and Massa arriving?
Old 1 Aug 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2737741)   #19
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
do you think that the flying wheel caused the renault lollipop man to loose concentration?
I read somewhere that the lollipop man messed up that probabnly because Rosberg slowed down due to the loose whell and that made the gap between Rosberg and Sutil- in which they wanted to sent Kubica - smaller.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2737765)   #20
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That flying wheel was bloody dangerous. And emberrassing. Force India at least manages to get some kind tyres on the car.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 02:09 (Ref:2737900)   #21
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
Ferrari were using an refrigerate gas a few years ago due to its way it acted when the tyre heated up or something along those lines so I doubt they are just using straight N these day (unless it become a rule)
Old 2 Aug 2010, 02:26 (Ref:2737902)   #22
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
What are you going to do about it?? Make everyone where a orange vest and have the wheel men sign a release form stating the wheel is done up to the correct torque and then verified by a manager before the car can go out again, it is a bloody pit lane during a race sh!t can and will always happen
I think we can put what happened last night down to the Safety Car, and the fact that everyone pitted at the same time. However if this keeps happening when every car pits then we're going to get some serious injuries sooner rather then later unfortunately.

As Brundle said on the coverage last night, it's a scary thing to see, wheels flying around loose and cars hitting each other in the pit lane. A sheer miracle no-one was seriously hurt.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 2 Aug 2010, 02:28 (Ref:2737903)   #23
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think that the pitlane should remain closed during a safety car period. There is no need to open it for general pitstops as there should be no fuel concerns anymore.

Of course cars that do come into the pits for damage repair can be worked on but a penalty of a 10sec stop and go would have to apply. This should help ensure that we don't see a repeat of what happened in Hungary.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 06:08 (Ref:2737949)   #24
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
Ferrari were using an refrigerate gas a few years ago due to its way it acted when the tyre heated up or something along those lines so I doubt they are just using straight N these day (unless it become a rule)
I think some teams were using a mix of CO2 and nitrogen in the tyres in 2008 when traction control was banned.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 08:58 (Ref:2738018)   #25
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
I do think that the pitlane should remain closed during a safety car period. There is no need to open it for general pitstops as there should be no fuel concerns anymore.
I'd never actually thought of that before, but it's obvious isn't it? The reason for re-opening the pits during SC periods is now no longer valid. Close 'em!