Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1056059)   #1
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Return of Lotus?

Hi....
just wondered...

Quite a few years ago it was reported that Lotus would return to F1 organised by James Hunt's brother David.

Anyone heard anymore since or knows the story?

Thanks and Cheers
Peter
Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1056064)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's been a little quite on this front for sometime. I was slightly surprised that the last spate of new team rumours weren't linked ot the Lotus name. Although it would be totally inappropriate as these were linked to the customer car rumours and Lotus should build their own cars.

And that, for me, is it. Team Lotus is dead, it's days are gone. They were great days, but let them be. Classic Team Lotus are doing a great job of keeping them alive. We don't need a cynical sham of a recreation.

IMHO.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:11 (Ref:1056070)   #3
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam,
I totaly agree. What was, was truly great and a return to anything less would be a great shame.
But I can't help wondering...

Ah well...those were the days...my all time favourite team.

Thanks again Adam.

Cheers
Peter
Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:19 (Ref:1056077)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Am I correct in assuming that David Hunt owns the rights to the name?
Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1056082)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He does.

And I agree unless it's a proper Team Lotus effort, don't bother.

The "Pacific Team Lotus" of 1995 was an example of the sham that should be avoided.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1056083)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In October (1994) the team was sold to David Hunt, brother of James. Mika Salo was hired to replace Herbert. In December, however, work on the design of a new car was halted and the staff laid off. In February 1995 Hunt announced an alliance with Pacific Grand Prix and the history of Team Lotus came to an inauspicious end.

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/con-lotus.html

As you say Adam, better to let it RIP, than be re-heated as another 'Pacific type' alliance.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1056196)   #7
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus still stand (in terms of the number of GP wins) as the 4th best constructor in F1 (Behind Ferrari, McLaren and Williams) with 79 wins.

It would be a shame if Lotus came back and they were not even close to the team that has won 79 races and 7 world titles.

Its the same with other classic names of the past like Brabham, BRM, Tyrrell and Cooper, they should stay in the past.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1056248)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
Lotus still stand (in terms of the number of GP wins) as the 4th best constructor in F1 (Behind Ferrari, McLaren and Williams) with 79 wins.

It would be a shame if Lotus came back and they were not even close to the team that has won 79 races and 7 world titles.

Its the same with other classic names of the past like Brabham, BRM, Tyrrell and Cooper, they should stay in the past.
Very true. I'd hate to see an uncompetitive backmarker team (or, worse, a big corporation) take on the Lotus name as a pure marketing ploy. The original Lotus team was about innovation , all-round high standards, giving drivers their first big chance (Emmo, Mansell, Clark, Senna), and the sheer character of Colin Chapman. That's all gone now, why let the name be subjected to anything else?
Old 4 Aug 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1056293)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Lotus (not the Classic Team Lotus) is owned by Proton. I don't think the Malasians will enter F1. If they wanted they had already done.

Last edited by FIRE; 4 Aug 2004 at 16:24.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:00 (Ref:1056312)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought GM owned Lotus the automaker?
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1056316)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Proton owns the Lotus Group since 1996.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1056324)   #12
Lovlyperson
Rookie

Lovlyperson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It's too expenean!
The onliest way would be,if they could get a Engine for free,but which one?
lotus is english,and honda is not in seight,Ford is not good enough at moment,?
........I don't beliefe it,that someone would do it in formula1 !
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1056341)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Proton own the Lotus brand for roadcars, but do not own the Team Lotus F1 rights.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1056346)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's what i meant.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:28 (Ref:1056347)   #15
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proton say that there cars are engineered by Lotus so in a way Lotus actually race in the BTCC as well as other touring car championships. Lotus, like TVR, is not longer a truely British company. Ironically, and happily, most teams in high level motorsport use British engines, chassis and parts even if branded otherwise. Think of Ilmor, Cosworth etc... (don't forget Cosworth have won every race this year in champcar (I know they the only one!) and if I am right G-Force used in IRL are British.

So my point here is however nice Lotus returning would be it should be made as a British effort in this country and as already said, should not just be a relablled foreign effort.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1056353)   #16
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
lotus...colin chapman and jim clark.
that's enough for me......as adam said, we don't need a cynical sham of a recreation.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1056416)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In 1999 Hunt sold off the last bits of cars and equipment.

BAR and hunt were in negotiations to have BAR buy the name. But it all fell apart probably due to money. That was back in 2000-01 reported in autosport.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 19:21 (Ref:1056443)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leave Lotus in the past. Their eventual demise was sad, but no great surprise and a reflection of just how money-oriented the sport was becoming. I'd hate to see the name tacked onto some team just as a commercial stunt.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 21:03 (Ref:1056509)   #19
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a pity chunky died so young...he'd have loved these aero cars...wonder what he would have innovated to beat Ferrari...sigh!
Old 4 Aug 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1056546)   #20
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any form of return could only reduce the value of the achievements of Colin Chapman and one of the truly great F1 teams. Like the return of an old unfit boxer for one last title fight. Lets just remember the great days and the fantastic black and gold JPS cars.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 22:18 (Ref:1056570)   #21
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only chance we have of a Lotus return is if Dave Hunt sells to BAR or Proton(If they ever wished or had the budget to enter F1). But the chances of this are as about as equal of Fiat rebranding Ferrari as Maserati or Alfa Romeo.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 08:45 (Ref:1056799)   #22
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
I have a little treasure back home.
In 1970 at Oulton Park a few of us attended the Non-championship F1 race held annually at Easter time. During practice on the Good Friday we were wandering around paddock (Oh yes...in those days it was open access...lovley) and as we came to the Gold Leaf Team Lotus area, there was Jochen Rindt standing next to his 72 about 3 feet away from us.
He started rummaging around in his pockets, apparantley for a ciggarette, I offered him one of mine (Smoker at the time) which he took, then ripped off the GLTL cloth badge from his overalls and gave it to me.
It is now framed behind glass and will hang on my wall when I return to UK.

In those days most of the drivers were approachable...Carlos Pace and Pedro Rodriguez were true gents in particular.

I also met Damon Hill through work in Dubai (F1 fun post)...he also is a good bloke.

Cheers
Peter
Old 6 Aug 2004, 01:06 (Ref:1057747)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the new esprit coming out in 2006, maybe proton will decide to go sportscar racing. It'd be great to see them out there with the lambo, porsches, ferrari and vettes.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1057991)   #24
Giando
Racer

Giando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be great if a new (big) constructor would come in - say, Porsche - and pick the Lotus name/brand for their F1 program... building a great team!
Think: Lotus-Porsche on the grid in 2007, drivers K. Raikkonen (already World Champion) and V. Liuzzi (or another interesting young guy)...

Mmmm... my fantasy's going too much forward, eh?

Ciao

Last edited by Giando; 6 Aug 2004 at 10:02.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 12:15 (Ref:1058145)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotusonpole

He started rummaging around in his pockets, apparantley for a ciggarette, I offered him one of mine (Smoker at the time) which he took, then ripped off the GLTL cloth badge from his overalls and gave it to me.
It is now framed behind glass and will hang on my wall when I return to UK.

Love that story.

You can really imagine Michael, Kimi or Juan-Pablo doing the same now (and throwing said patch to you over the prison camp fencing......), can't you?