Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:27 (Ref:654724)   #1
billaboy
Rookie

billaboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan and BAR

It's quite possible that Jordan and BAR (more so Jordan) with in the next 2 years or so will no longer be in F1 due to $$ problems. So what kind or grid is that gonna be? 18 cars, what kind of racing is that? I dont see any other cars or manufactures entering the sport other than someone maybe buying Sauber. F1 could be getting more boring by the day!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:48 (Ref:654751)   #2
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think BAR leaving will have a lot to do with how they perform next year if they are not really in the hunt by then I think somebody will pull the plug or Honda will take over the team.

Jordan?...well they need some serious help supposedly Merc engines next year maybe that will give them a boost?

Last edited by TeddyG; 7 Jul 2003 at 12:49.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 12:50 (Ref:654755)   #3
billaboy
Rookie

billaboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some reason I thought there was 11 teams x 2 =22-4=18 , don't really know why I thought that. Sorry.

Last edited by billaboy; 7 Jul 2003 at 12:52.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 13:01 (Ref:654767)   #4
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Ferrari, McLaren and Williams have already promised the FIA extra cars to keep the numbers up should the need arise. And Renault already bring three to every race.
What we really need, of course, is a situation, as in the past, where any team could aspire to graduate to the top level. It still strikes me as being ludicrous that the best F3 and F3000 or Sportscar teams can no longer dream of making it to F1. Most of the present teams would have failed to make it in under the current rules!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 13:45 (Ref:654822)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally I'd much prefer to see teams such as Super Nova, Arden, Rocketsports etc moving up to F1 than have yet more McLarens and Ferraris. Some sort of second division for mnon-works teams, eigable for main championship points as well of course, plus the cost-cutting rules that are coming in, might just be the solution. As Osella says, Williams were on teh breadline for years, Jordan likewise, and Minardi wouldn't've got in under the current situation, nor would classic teams like Tyrrell, brabham, Lotus, BRM...
Old 7 Jul 2003, 14:36 (Ref:654867)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Certainly there are now near-insuperable barriers to new teams joining the F1 circus. I believe that the FIA has now waived the enormous deposit which was once required to be paid, but where are the new teams? The American, Dan Gurney-led team now seems to have disappeared from view. Any news on the Oliver Behring-owned German team which, we were told, would be on the grid at Albert Park in 2004?
Old 7 Jul 2003, 15:01 (Ref:654892)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Read Eerco's thread, the truth behind the fighting fund before answering here.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 18:57 (Ref:655119)   #8
Wasp
Rookie

Wasp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, F1 is looking like it might revert to 6 or 7 manufacturer teams with 3 cars each. Jordan, Sauber and Minardi simply don't have enough money to keep running.

There are arguments for an against 3 car teams. It takes the exitement out of the WCC with less teams competing, however, it might make the races more exiting with more drivers fighting it out in the top spots. Instead of 6 cars being able to compete to win (Ferrari, Williams and Mac) there will be 9. Add the competitive Renault to the mix and you have 12 cars that are capable of being on the podium at any time.

Personally, I don't mind if there are less teams and 3 cars in each team. I hate seeing Minardi, Jordan and Sauber peddle around at the back - it just makes me feel horrible to see people working so hard and knowing that they will never be able to win.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 19:28 (Ref:655140)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone has to start somewhere... and it's usually "peddling around at the back". From drivers to mechanics to team principals, you don't just jump into F1 (or anything else) straight away and beat the rest of the world... Minardi, Jordan, Sauber, Etc, all perform a necessary function. I would hate to see them go... especially if 3 car teams meant non-points scoring cars in the race or some teams running 3 while others run 2...
Old 7 Jul 2003, 23:58 (Ref:655390)   #10
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We need all flavours of F1 team for the sport to prosper. And people used to queue up to drive for, design, and work for the 'second division' teams.

One way to 'protect' the current teams would be to award them the right to supply year-old cars; of course you could still make your own/ modify heavily a year-old one.

And Jordans do actually win, once in a blue moon!

Last edited by Osella; 7 Jul 2003 at 23:59.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 02:50 (Ref:655455)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I heard Honda was going to drop one of its teams I was hoping it was BAR. The team does not excite me at all. I feel if the relationship has worked with Jordan that the team would be much better off now. Anyway, Honda says they are in F1 to win and wont leave before they do. So maybe BAR will the in F1 for a LONG time!!

I dont care much for Minardi but I hope Jordan gets a good engine deal. Eddie is not willing to enter a partnership so he may never get a real works deal but even used Merc. motors should keep him in it.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 09:00 (Ref:655581)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only problem i see in each team having three cars is in Ferrari's case we'll have two cars instead of one following Schumacher around unable to win the race, on the subject of privateers joining the series why not have a privateers cup for them to race for at each G.P. as well as championship points, the winning privateer at each race can join the top three on the podium while the leading privateer at the end of the series is crowned privateer champion. Having the chance of winning something may encourage privateer teams to either stay in or join the championship.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 11:17 (Ref:655683)   #13
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Sauber's arrangement with Ferrari is the only one that's workable for a private team right now. Presumably, Jordan are thinking the same thing; just having engines isn't enough. You need manufacturer support for your whole team, from chassis to drivers - look at Minardi with their (perfectly decent) Cosworth engines at the moment. Only a manufacturer can provide the kind of resources that building a decent F1 team needs.

Heidfeld and Firman at Jordan-Ilmor next year, then
Old 8 Jul 2003, 11:39 (Ref:655700)   #14
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the situation should be that a team can run a single car if they wish and the larger teams can run as many as they like (or can afford) that way large grids could be ensured with a variation of teams, designs, and liveries.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 11:49 (Ref:655709)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing is, none of the teams, top or otherwise, actually want to run a third car. Estimated costs of $ 20 to 30 million are not to be taken lightly and the benefits would be minimal.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 13:06 (Ref:655792)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
For a start the grid is limited to 24 cars or 12 teams. If a team runs a third car it's not eligible for championship points either as a constructor or in the WDC so, absolutely no incentive to run more than two cars. That's without mentioning the additional costs as mentioned above!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 14:10 (Ref:655867)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
To my mind, for years, it has seemed pretty clear that Honda are going to take over BAR when the whole tobacco sponsorship ban thing comes in (at latest).
Old 8 Jul 2003, 17:41 (Ref:656031)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stephen, i think they'd have to rewrite the rules on points if the number of teams dipped below ten.

Glen, consider the expense incurred by McLaren, Williams and Ferari with the full-ytime test teams they run. How much more expensive would itbe to bring Wurz, Gene, and Massa or Badoer, with their cars to a Gp rttrather than sending them to Valencia or Barcelona?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:38 (Ref:656608)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Glen, consider the expense incurred by McLaren, Williams and Ferari with the full-ytime test teams they run. How much more expensive would it be to bring Wurz, Gene, and Massa or Badoer, with their cars to a Gp rttrather than sending them to Valencia or Barcelona?
They'd never cut back testing in favour of racing for no points. The amount of running involved in a race weekend is tiny compared to a dedicated test schedule. Renault and Jaguar might be persuaded, since they already have chosen to limit testing in favour of doing more during the race weekend.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 09:25 (Ref:656656)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, if cost for no points is the issue......... Why could the FIA (is it them, or the Concorde which would deal with this - a mix of both, probably) not just pay more money to the teams depending on their results with the third car?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 09:30 (Ref:656660)   #21
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think f1 is getting boring *yawns* so i like dutton's idea.

do they still do that thing where they used to give cash prizes to the winner of gp's? i remember reading about them in a book on f1 in 1975. if they do i think the big teams should donate the prize funds to the smaller teams, or save the money to create a new team
Old 9 Jul 2003, 09:40 (Ref:656674)   #22
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all the information i discoved while reading the Stodard interview IF it does drop that low the top teams will have to supply non-point scoring cars, so maybe the fighting fund will need to be revitalised.
They should allow teams to run only 1 car, that way there will be many more teams on the grid, with a wider variation of designs and liveries.
The big teams will still run 2 cars but i think on the whole it will be a lot better, Stodard said that the PS03 hasn't been developed because they don't have the money, IF they only had to run 1 car they could develop it into a very competative team.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 10:09 (Ref:656696)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If Minardi (or whoever) only ran one car they'd get less sponsorship money so the amount available for development wouldn't increase (it may actually decrease).

Something needs to be done though - F1 needs the privateer teams (and some new teams wouldn't go amiss either). The idea of works teams supplying complete chassis to privateers is a step in the right direction (providing the cost can be kept down) but it does bring up more legal issues (liability in the case of accidents due to design flaws etc). It would be great if next year McLaren ran the MP4/18 or 19 and Jordan ran with the MP4/17 in the B&H livery (not gonna happen but it's a great idea).