Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jan 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1192913)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sauber cancels C24 launch.

Kuala Lumpur/Hinwil, 4 January 2005
The launch of the SAUBER PETRONAS C24 that was scheduled to take place in Kuala Lumpur on January 11 has been cancelled. The launch had been planned as part of activities designed to celebrate PETRONAS´ 10-year presence in Formula One. As a mark of respect to the victims of the disaster in South East Asia and their families, it was decided to cancel the launch.

http://www.sauber.ch/en/home.php

A thoughtful act from Sauber.

There is an F1 test at Valencia on January 14th so we may see the car for the first time then.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1192920)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are tests in Valencia and in Montmeló the subsequent week, so it should appear there. Will there be a launch at all?
Old 4 Jan 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1192924)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think there will be a 'launch' as such, the car will probably be wheeled out for a photo shoot prior to hitting the track in Valencia.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1192930)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Inevitable, I suppose, and probably the right decision.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1192931)   #5
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it's a fair enough call.

Forgetting Formual one for a moment, It's great to see how the world has rallied round and selflessly donated to this cause.

After things like Iraq etc it has really gone some way to restoring my faith in mankind.

Which reminds me, I'd better make another donation, the lines and servers have been so busy, I'm not confident my donation actually got through.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1193009)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sensible move from Sauber - it could have been very bad PR to go ahead with it.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1193058)   #7
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the whole thing got to do with F1? I don't understand, sometimes.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1193095)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The disaster has nothing to do with F1, but at a time when South East Asia is dealing with a huge crisis, it would be a tad insensitive to fly in there to show off something as trivial as your multi-million pound racing car.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1193096)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
What's the whole thing got to do with F1? I don't understand, sometimes.
It's about displaying conspicuous consumption in a region that has been decimated by disaster.

It also shows that F1 teams are not above thinking only of themselves (for once).
Old 4 Jan 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1193159)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Presumably if you was a survivor in Thailand or Sri Lanka, who'd lost their home, family and livelihood, he's be delighted if a faceless corporation spent millions showcasing their racing car within a few hundred miles? No? Then it's no surprise that Sauber have taken this decision, although I'm sure they'd've continued with the launch if they thought they could avoid bad PR/generate good PR.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1193265)   #11
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smart move, I think, from Peter Sauber.

Formula One can be seen as the height of avarice and self-absorption by those that aren't enamoured with it, and given that there was a big hue and cry on New Year's Eve in Australia over city councils proceeding with fireworks to celebrate '05, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have anticipated the same type of outcry if Sauber went ahead with its launch.

Presumably, Petronas also agreed to cancel the launch, as I gather it was intended to "celebrate Petronas' 10 year involvement in Formula One", or some such.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 00:59 (Ref:1193325)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you like F1 you would like to see a car up close, but I doubt the people in the huge area are thinking about F1 at the moment, so it is the right move.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 01:16 (Ref:1193331)   #13
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would like to think that they can also "Donate" the poposed cost of the launch to the appeal...

as there would certainly be lost revenue for the involved people/businesses...

D.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 02:20 (Ref:1193342)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
And I'm sure those people grieving for loved ones or trying to rebuild their homes will be extremely grateful for this gesture.

I think people can go too far.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 03:22 (Ref:1193359)   #15
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence

I think people can go too far.
do you have ANY idea?Unbelievable.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1193638)   #16
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Well I think it's ridiculous - and call me cynical, but I don't think Sauber or Petronas care a bit about being respectful of the tsunami victims - they simply wouldn't have got any news coverage for the sponsors whilst the earthquake coverage is still dominating the headlines.

Life's ****, but it goes on.