Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Feb 2003, 16:32 (Ref:520573)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scrutineers

Does anyone know why Scrutineers ALL seem to be on the pit wall or close proximity during practice or races?
You must have heard over the radio that Car Number xx has a door that keeps coming open and control will ask a Scrutineer to have a look (If he's awake) Obviously, when the car goes past him (On the Pit wall....the Scrutineer, not the car) he says that everything looks fine! DURRRR! Of course it will...it's not going round a corner.
The same could be said for cars that have been over-fuelled.......round a corner, it comes out...on the straight.....it doesn't.
So why don't Scrutineers go to bendy parts of the track - because an Observers word on these matters is never good enough for a CofC?

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 28 Feb 2003 at 16:36.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 18:32 (Ref:520677)   #2
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we stand on the wall because that's were we have to stand. Most are awake but are not always given a radio. You point out ‘will ask a scrutineer to have a look’ that surly answers your question, we can only report what we see not what we hear (judge of fact). I agree that CofC could take your word but unfortunately they wont its not the fault of the scrutineers that they will not listen to you.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 08:30 (Ref:523246)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Brickkicker my thread makes it sound like I'm having a go at Scrutineers - I'm not!
I'm sure you'd agree though that having a scrutineer on a couple of corner would make sense, as there always seems to be plenty of you guys at a meeting. If not then an Observers word (Judge Of Fact Again) should suffice and a car should be meatballed!
Old 3 Mar 2003, 08:57 (Ref:523254)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
em, well at Brands there's usually a scrute on Post 6 (the exit of Druids) during races. For exactly the reasons that observer suggests - it's the slowest corner on the circuit. Gives them the ability to take a line long look at the car and it's pretty close too.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 09:01 (Ref:523256)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Did You say Scrute or Sc.......D'oh there I go again......KIDDING!
Old 3 Mar 2003, 09:46 (Ref:523267)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I've been told by a reliable source that a scrutineer is posted on the outside of Lodge at some of the bigger meetings at Oulton.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 3 Mar 2003 at 09:46.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 13:00 (Ref:523396)   #7
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOCA sent scrutineers out to various points on the circuits at most of their meetings a few seasona ago - not sur if they still do.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 15:40 (Ref:523536)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For example at Goodwood we (almost all of the time) have a scrutineer in the vicinity of the chicane for just this reason.

Regards

Jim
Old 4 Mar 2003, 10:36 (Ref:524301)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Scrutineers

Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Does anyone know why Scrutineers ALL seem to be on the pit wall or close proximity during practice or races?
You must have heard over the radio that Car Number xx has a door that keeps coming open and control will ask a Scrutineer to have a look (If he's awake) Obviously, when the car goes past him (On the Pit wall....the Scrutineer, not the car) he says that everything looks fine! DURRRR! Of course it will...it's not going round a corner.
The same could be said for cars that have been over-fuelled.......round a corner, it comes out...on the straight.....it doesn't.
So why don't Scrutineers go to bendy parts of the track - because an Observers word on these matters is never good enough for a CofC?
Most racetracks probably have more than enough eyes, ears and noses on the job who are in some form of communication. It is usually up to Race Control to make the D on advice from their "gallery of thousands". I agree, terribly frustrating to see something truly dangerous but because the "pit lane scrutineer" can;;'t confirm it the driver wanders around obliviously. I have been screamed at for breaking radio silence in the first two laps only to be vindicated by major fuel/fire problems.

I don't know what the answer is......
Old 5 Mar 2003, 19:45 (Ref:525967)   #10
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe listen to the people who are doing there jobs?
Old 6 Mar 2003, 10:46 (Ref:526471)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Brickkicker - I have just worked out who you are and if I remember rightly, you don't know one end of a blummin' car from the other LOL
Whenever I see you, you have that flamin' camera stuck round your neck!!

See you Sunday!!

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 6 Mar 2003 at 10:47.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 16:46 (Ref:526747)   #12
brickkicker
Veteran

Quote:
Brickkicker - I have just worked out who you are and if I remember rightly, you don't know one end of a blummin' car from the other LOL
I am going to have to read up for Sunday am in orange for that one (if the tickets get here). The even upgraded me to Incident (does that mean I dont have to do anything any more)

Quote:
Whenever I see you, you have that flamin' camera stuck round your neck!!
Well I found somthing I can do (sort of)
Old 6 Mar 2003, 16:49 (Ref:526750)   #13
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Got my tickets last friday!!
Let me know if you don't get them - you can have my spare!
Old 6 Mar 2003, 16:51 (Ref:526751)   #14
brickkicker
Veteran

Only phoned about them Monday (was unsure if I could make it) so they should get here by Friday ( I hope) thanks for the offer will let you know if they dont get here in time
Old 7 Mar 2003, 10:33 (Ref:527567)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Do you think they would let us have a post manned entirely by ten-tenthers?
Old 7 Mar 2003, 18:04 (Ref:527962)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not if they've read it they won't.