Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Feb 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3370979)   #1
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
TR Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 GP2 Champions?

Now that's its almost March, and we are getting ever closer to the start of the 2014 GP2 Series, so who do we think are going to be the title contenders for firstly the drivers title, and then the teams title?

My pick?

Drivers Title Contenders:
Nasr, Marciello, Vandoorne, Evans, Palmer, Richelmi, Rossi

Teams Title Contenders:
Racing Engineering, Carlin, ART Grand Prix, DAMS

And finally, are there any drivers or teams who you think will surprise this season?

My pick?

Drivers who could surprise:
Leal, Regalia, Pic, Haryanto, Binder

Teams who could surprise:
Hilmer Motorsport, Arden International, Campos Racing
Old 22 Feb 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3370995)   #2
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marciello will be the fastest, probably will win the most races & poles, but I think Nasr will be champion.
Old 23 Feb 2014, 15:21 (Ref:3371265)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
Marciello will be the fastest, probably will win the most races & poles, but I think Nasr will be champion.
I'm not convinced a newcomer, no matter how good they are, can win the title first year in anymore.

However I would like to see how Marciello deals with Vandoorne....
Old 23 Feb 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3371292)   #4
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure about rookies being unable to win the title. Marciello is probably one of the very few in the last few years who I feel could do it. Although why Ferrari didn't place him in 3.5 when he was dominating testing I'll never know.

I suspect Vandoorne might struggle a bit in GP2 this year. Hopefully ART will be back on form so we can actually see what he can do.
Old 23 Feb 2014, 23:16 (Ref:3371411)   #5
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Marciello is your average rookie and the support he receives from Ferrari is a bit more substantial. They've certainly polished the tire models in the simulator for him
Old 26 Feb 2014, 01:04 (Ref:3372236)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nasr and Vandoorne my first thoughs about who could win the title.
Hope Regalia to win a race, or at least catching a podium this year.

Well, aside that, at the end of next month you can put this also on the Championships Round of 2014 GP2 TWPC predictions... That will be as it was since GP2 exists.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 23:17 (Ref:3374169)   #7
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's between Marciello and Vandoorne. In my opinion, last years GP2 grid was very poor (and it has been since 2011). Perhaps some of the experienced GP2 drivers such as Nasr (3rd season), Palmer (4th season) and Rossi (2nd season) could challenge too but they are most definitely not on the levels of Marciello or Stoffel who have just come from series with highly rated drivers.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 10:53 (Ref:3374332)   #8
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think experience will still be very important, so I cannot see two rookies challenging for the title alone...
Old 4 Mar 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3374958)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not? Lewis Hamilton in 2006 was a rookie and got the title in its unique season.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3374967)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Why not? Lewis Hamilton in 2006 was a rookie and got the title in its unique season.
Different time though wasn't it?

The cars were (arguably) easier to drive and as with Nico the season before the ART team had the car working right to his liking.

I think it's a lottery nowadays and I believe the tyres behave strangely differently from car to car, no matter who is driving a car.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 18:04 (Ref:3374992)   #11
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ I'm not really sure what evidence there is to say that the tyres behave differently from car to car irrespective of the driver. If you look at the top guys in the championship last year - Leimer, Bird, Calado, Nasr, Palmer, Ericsson and Coletti for the first half - all were able to keep their tyres in most of the time, and were quick too. I don't really see an argument that it's a lottery. Except for allowing prime - prime strategies. But that's gone for this year.

I do agree that a rookie is unlikely to win the championship, not unless they are exceptional. These are complex cars with tyres the same as F1. They take time and experience to master, as they well should. Marciello and Vandoorne have done well so far - arguably they are the best placed rookies in a long time to take it in their first year.

Tags
gp2