Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Dec 2001, 15:04 (Ref:184667)   #1
Old Hairpin
Racer

Old Hairpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kitos Mika Hakkinen

I will miss Mika Hakkinen a lot, some people say he is boring but I think he was a dude. I mean, he never *****ed about the car or moaned when things went badly or said dodgy stuff about other drivers... I remember in 97 when he was leading race after race and then BOOM! the mercedes engine blew up but in the interview after he was always calm and said" Hey, thats racing"
he never criticised his team ever and seemed to have real respect for the other drivers, even TGF and TGF seemed to respect him more than the others also. Like at Monza when TGF started to cry, Mika put his arm around him and told the interviewer "to talk to Ralf or something"!!! Plus, he has been the only one in recent years to consistently challenge TGF like at Japan year after year those two guys were on another planet to the others and would finish a lap ahead almost of 3rd and 4th. Thank god Montoya has come along otherwise TGF would win every race until he retired...
Old 11 Dec 2001, 16:26 (Ref:184676)   #2
JPBeltoise
Rookie

JPBeltoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll miss Mika, too. He was definitely one of the few genuine gentlemen in the sport. His ability to handle victory *and* defeat with grace was always one of his best characteristics, and I always loved his press conferences -- those laconic replies, always delivered with just a hint of a smile. And, of course, he was very quick, too. Remember some of those qualifying duels with Schumi? Having said all that, though, I have a feeling it would be better if he doesn't come back to the sport. It's almost always better to leave the stage when the audience still wants more.
Old 11 Dec 2001, 18:23 (Ref:184707)   #3
Old Hairpin
Racer

Old Hairpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you, Mika should stay retired. He narrowly escaped death at Adelaide and the doctors said another smash like that to the head and he would be dead, I am impressed that he came back at all after that. He has achieved a lot and has nothing more to prove. He can go and play with Erja now anyway!
Old 11 Dec 2001, 20:54 (Ref:184765)   #4
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it's better to leave rather than outstay one's welcome like Hill or Mansell.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 00:50 (Ref:184849)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure no-one out in Cyber F1 world could have a bad word for Mika. On his day, he was absolutely brilliant and it's sad for everyone and the sport that he has retired and we'll miss those battles he had with TGF, those press conferences but also his gentlemanly way of handling the pressures and situations involved with Formula One racing.

I think Old Hairpin summed everything up nicely.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 00:58 (Ref:184850)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to say, i'd miss him now that he is gone.

Sure, he's a nice chap, and glad he wasn't led astray by devil dennis.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 10:14 (Ref:184921)   #7
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, I guess he is the last true gentleman in F1.
And I miss him.
But, I disagree that he should stay retired. For as long as I remember (app 15 years) the battle for WDC was allways between two drivers, and if Mika is back, it might be three (with TGF & JPM).
With all due respect to all the others I doubt there is anybody else at this time that could challenge these two - at least, due to their cars.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 10:47 (Ref:184935)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll miss Mika too. But time has come for him.

Others drivers should take the same direction, it would be good for F1.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 22:40 (Ref:185224)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks are certainly in order, Old Hairpin, (and welcome to our Forum!)

I have been a Mika fan sinc ethe Lotus days, and My Finnish wife, who cheered for Mika says that Kimi just doesn't hold her interest.

I'll miss Hakkinen a lot, but I think he made the roght choice.

Kitos, Mika, for all the great memories indeed.