Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 4 Apr 2014, 15:06 (Ref:3388715)   #101
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenrace View Post
Interested to hear constructive comments.
I'm interested to see what British F3 organisers will do next. Pull the plug? Or run an embarrassing show?
Old 6 Apr 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3389406)   #102
edenrace
Racer

edenrace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK Juntos...whats the answer it is easy to critisise ...how do you think we can get a bigger grid
Old 16 Apr 2014, 15:07 (Ref:3393355)   #103
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.formula3.co/news/extended...mula-3-in-2014

Add that to Harry Tincknell and, more importantly, Alex Lynn doing one-offs at Thruxton (luckily my "home" venue), and suddenly things are looking vaguely brighter.

Although anything is brighter than the darkness of impending doom.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 03:40 (Ref:3393662)   #104
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Somebody shall teach BF3 press officer how to write drivers' names. Martin Coa? Matthew Roa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenrace
That is a question that FOTA should be able to reply. Not me.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3394540)   #105
edenrace
Racer

So Juntos no ideas then .....that's a shame
Old 19 Apr 2014, 22:11 (Ref:3395282)   #106
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
http://www.formula3.co/news/extended...mula-3-in-2014

Add that to Harry Tincknell and, more importantly, Alex Lynn doing one-offs at Thruxton (luckily my "home" venue), and suddenly things are looking vaguely brighter.

Although anything is brighter than the darkness of impending doom.
Alice Powell may run in the Cooper Class also in her Mark Bailey F305.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 08:56 (Ref:3396107)   #107
edenrace
Racer

cooper class will not happen as FIA/Berger do not want old ,pre 2008 cars, in British Championship.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 10:05 (Ref:3396128)   #108
LavidaLoca
Racer

LavidaLoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
cooper class will not happen as FIA/Berger do not want old ,pre 2008 cars, in British Championship.

How come Japan Formula 3 Still runs F305-F307 Cars in National Class?
Old 21 Apr 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3396150)   #109
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavidaLoca View Post
How come Japan Formula 3 Still runs F305-F307 Cars in National Class?
One thought that springs to mind is that the Cooper Cup class cars wouldn't necessarily run F3 spec engines. Certainly Alice Powell's car at Donington was running Piedrafita engine (as used in the - now renamed - European Formula Open).
Old 21 Apr 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3396308)   #110
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
One thought that springs to mind is that the Cooper Cup class cars wouldn't necessarily run F3 spec engines. Certainly Alice Powell's car at Donington was running Piedrafita engine (as used in the - now renamed - European Formula Open).
The engine in the 2014 EuroFormula "F3" Open is new this year.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 00:06 (Ref:3396468)   #111
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Quote:
Pre-08 cars are allowed to be used.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3396582)   #112
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
The engine in the 2014 EuroFormula "F3" Open is new this year.
Hello John,

What is the new engine? The 2014 regs suggest its the Toyota 3S-GE in SXE10 specification.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3396769)   #113
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back to the whole name issue:

Why do the FIA even bother? All they're doing is weakening the national series' chances or success, even when British F3 has been stronger than European F3 for most of it's history.

*Conspiracy* is this the French trying to get one over on us!!!!
Old 22 Apr 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3396800)   #114
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Hello John,

What is the new engine? The 2014 regs suggest its the Toyota 3S-GE in SXE10 specification.
New crank, new pistons, new cams, higher CR, 25bhp more at 4,000 rpm
Old 22 Apr 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3396813)   #115
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thanks.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3397297)   #116
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Performance Racing aiming a comeback at http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113599

Do we have a provisional entry list?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3397315)   #117
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Performance Racing aiming a comeback at http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113599

Do we have a provisional entry list?
Wiki is up to date as far as I can tell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Br...a_Three_season
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3397399)   #118
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiki is up to date except for Alex Lynn at Thruxton, although that's understandable because I don't think a team has been confirmed!
Old 24 Apr 2014, 06:49 (Ref:3397579)   #119
wsrgo94
Rookie

India
Calcutta
wsrgo94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Going back to the whole name issue:

Why do the FIA even bother? All they're doing is weakening the national series' chances or success, even when British F3 has been stronger than European F3 for most of it's history.

*Conspiracy* is this the French trying to get one over on us!!!!
I'm sorry, but European F3 began in 2003, and has been almost always stronger than British F3 since. Think of the champions: Briscoe, Green, Hamilton, di Resta, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Bianchi, Mortara, Merhi, Juncadella, Marciello. In the same period of 11 years, the British F3 champs were van der Merwe, Piquet Jr, Parente, Conway, Asmer, Alguersuari, Ricciardo, Vergne, Nasr, Harvey and King.
Euro F3 also had several others like Buemi, Vettel, van der Garde, Kobayashi etc. So, that fact you stated, is just wrong.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3397649)   #120
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
matter of opinion to be honest. with a username with "94" in it i suspect you're not old enough to properly remember the 2003-4-5-6 seasons in british f3 which were pretty special for proper, raw talent. after that, budgets started to get silly, serious money was being thrown at things it shouldn't have.

when you look at the euro series you have to remember that whilst british f3 was far more independant, it has essentially been controlled and run by mercedes since it was born. so you can't just make a direct comparison.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3397692)   #121
wsrgo94
Rookie

India
Calcutta
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
matter of opinion to be honest. with a username with "94" in it i suspect you're not old enough to properly remember the 2003-4-5-6 seasons in british f3 which were pretty special for proper, raw talent. after that, budgets started to get silly, serious money was being thrown at things it shouldn't have.

when you look at the euro series you have to remember that whilst british f3 was far more independant, it has essentially been controlled and run by mercedes since it was born. so you can't just make a direct comparison.
I suppose so, that's true. And yeah, I am 20
Old 24 Apr 2014, 13:14 (Ref:3397703)   #122
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just you wait. give it 10 years and you'll be "i suppose YOU'RE too young to remember"-ing people about this season

there's a general tendency to judge bf3 by what it is now, rather than what it was then. i liked the euroseries a bit more back then for the big event thing and the individual aero tweaks and shenanigans, and some of the circuits. but british f3 had, and still does have, some awesome circuits that you really can only find in the uk. it's a shame so many drivers are missing out on epic one-offs like thruxton and knockhill in exchange for the bland mindless f1 layouts with gp3 and the european series now.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3397770)   #123
wsrgo94
Rookie

India
Calcutta
Quote:
just you wait. give it 10 years and you'll be "i suppose YOU'RE too young to remember"-ing people about this season
Aha, I'm looking forward to it

Quote:

there's a general tendency to judge bf3 by what it is now, rather than what it was then. i liked the euroseries a bit more back then for the big event thing and the individual aero tweaks and shenanigans, and some of the circuits. but british f3 had, and still does have, some awesome circuits that you really can only find in the uk. it's a shame so many drivers are missing out on epic one-offs like thruxton and knockhill in exchange for the bland mindless f1 layouts with gp3 and the european series now.
I agree, but I guess the relevance of driving in Knockhill two levels below F1 is fast fading...

Zandvoort's an awesome track outside Britian, I wish they had that on the calendar. But now, all we get are squiggly-wiggly-hard-to-memorise corners and highway-esque straights...
Old 24 Apr 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3397782)   #124
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
ahhh somewhere like knockhill is misunderstood. it's highly relevant to monaco - you have this tiny little circuit with loads of ups and downs, constant corners and braking and accelerating. barely time to catch your breath on the main straight before you're over the little hill and back into t1. what is it that f1 drivers are moaning about nowadays? having too much to do? you could probably make the same statement for brands indy too.

you could argue thruxton has big relevance for tyre conservation and understanding, it's a big issue there. donington is the relatively quick, long cornered type of place that f1 enjoys nowadays. brands gp is a bit of a ballsy one, snetterton used to be really quick but now it's just a nothing.

so yeah, f1 cars don't run on them, but it's not to say the skills you learn racing on them aren't transferrable further down the line in a career
Old 24 Apr 2014, 17:14 (Ref:3397813)   #125
wsrgo94
Rookie

India
Calcutta
Quote:
ahhh somewhere like knockhill is misunderstood. it's highly relevant to monaco - you have this tiny little circuit with loads of ups and downs, constant corners and braking and accelerating. barely time to catch your breath on the main straight before you're over the little hill and back into t1. what is it that f1 drivers are moaning about nowadays? having too much to do? you could probably make the same statement for brands indy too.

you could argue thruxton has big relevance for tyre conservation and understanding, it's a big issue there. donington is the relatively quick, long cornered type of place that f1 enjoys nowadays. brands gp is a bit of a ballsy one, snetterton used to be really quick but now it's just a nothing.

so yeah, f1 cars don't run on them, but it's not to say the skills you learn racing on them aren't transferrable further down the line in a career
True enough, I guess, seems like I underestimated the importance of the Knockhill track in particular. Brands Indy is a nice little track with the only problem being lack of overtaking corners, I mean it's really tough to pass at Paddock Bend in a Formula car. I've always liked Donington's quirky layout, Thruxton's a nice little track too, and yeah I agree, Brands GP really is ballsy

There's a couple more circuits in UK which I've heard of several times but haven't really seen that much racing in: Castle Combe and Croft. I need to watch some onboard videos of Formula Three or Formula Ford cars there..