Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 11 Jul 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3276791)   #51
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
you take that back, tempelhof is an absolutely magnificent building, it's going to be stunning, it's historic and the track *should* encourage great racing in the same way that the cleveland airport circuit did.

go and read the wikipedia article about tempelhof immediately. the fact you say "main" terminal suggests you don't quite get how cool the place is
Old 11 Jul 2013, 23:05 (Ref:3276806)   #52
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!

It looks a bit like a library, I think.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3276815)   #53
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its pretty much the only place here where you can host a race without any problems, even though id prefer a streetrace ill give it a chance.

Old 12 Jul 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3276969)   #54
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Lizardfolk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzo View Post
its pretty much the only place here where you can host a race without any problems, even though id prefer a streetrace ill give it a chance.

I love airport tracks and I miss it (Edmonton and Cleveland) tremendously. Hope this layout is a good one.

Also those worried about the noise. Please note that Formula E is meant to be a different product and not meant to directly replace traditional motorsports. It might happen 200 years from now on de facto when we reach peak oil but at the moment it's just meant to be a motorsport product for alt-fuel fans and those who don't care (or hate) extremely loud car noises. Remember there's a ton of people out there who thinks racing noises are obnoxious and this is one solution to that and also will help push electric battery technology like how old motorsports did for the combustion engine.

I personally think changing cars is a bit lame but car electric engines are still very new and FE stand a good way to truly propel that technology to new heights.

Excited for next year. Hope the on track product will be good!

Also hope to see more teams commit? Maybe eventually attract electric manufacturer factory teams like Tesla, Lightning, Kleenspeed and Venturi?

Last edited by Lizardfolk; 12 Jul 2013 at 12:16.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 20:12 (Ref:3277117)   #55
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardfolk View Post
I love airport tracks and I miss it (Edmonton and Cleveland) tremendously. Hope this layout is a good one.

Also those worried about the noise. Please note that Formula E is meant to be a different product and not meant to directly replace traditional motorsports. It might happen 200 years from now on de facto when we reach peak oil but at the moment it's just meant to be a motorsport product for alt-fuel fans and those who don't care (or hate) extremely loud car noises. Remember there's a ton of people out there who thinks racing noises are obnoxious and this is one solution to that and also will help push electric battery technology like how old motorsports did for the combustion engine.

I personally think changing cars is a bit lame but car electric engines are still very new and FE stand a good way to truly propel that technology to new heights.

Excited for next year. Hope the on track product will be good!

Also hope to see more teams commit? Maybe eventually attract electric manufacturer factory teams like Tesla, Lightning, Kleenspeed and Venturi?
I really don't know what to expect out of teams. But I do expect 10 - that's not exactly that ambitious of a goal. We're already 30% there.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3277127)   #56
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This airport is incredible! Very cool place! It's a park now and Berlin is the kind of forward movement city Formula E needs.
I wonder if they have some support series coming up? May be the French cars from Andros Trophy which they use around Pau, the Pikes Peak electric specials or may be some other form of racing like electric bikes?
Old 12 Jul 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3277173)   #57
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree it's a great location for a race. I visited for the first time last year - already wanted to visit the historic terminal before I learned the whole airfield had been opened as a public space - really quite surreal to see people walking, running, cycling and rollerblading around the runways which still have the aviation marker signs (or whatever they're called) in place. Just hope they do a good job with the layout.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3277191)   #58
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I really don't know what to expect out of teams. But I do expect 10 - that's not exactly that ambitious of a goal. We're already 30% there.
You never know both ALMS and Grand-Am grids are struggling to even get double digits within classes.

That said, I do think that 3 teams confirming is a good sign and I dont expect grid troubles for the first season. That said, I'm personally hoping for more electric car companies to start building factory teams. I think Bluebird is the first to jump at it but I'd like to see more like Tesla. This is like the very early era of F1 so I hope FE takes off. Will be pretty exciting to see develop
Old 13 Jul 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3277296)   #59
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
By the way I hope the FE cars will have manual:

http://www.plugincars.com/efficiency...rs-107656.html
Old 14 Jul 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3277575)   #60
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Electric cars don't have gearboxes. Electric engines work perfectly from 0 to max revs.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3277621)   #61
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Electric cars don't have gearboxes. Electric engines work perfectly from 0 to max revs.
But the real question is: should they?
Old 15 Jul 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3277950)   #62
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula E goes Macau GP ?
Old 15 Jul 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3278009)   #63
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
That's an exhibition at the 2013 Macau Grand Prix, according to the HK Automobile Association executive director.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3278802)   #64
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where Andretti are to field a team in FE that should be a boost to the new catagory.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108830
Old 17 Jul 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3278911)   #65
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2013/...autosport.html

The Hinch could get a shot at it.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 23:55 (Ref:3278935)   #66
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Looks exciting! I am eagerly anticipating the debut of this new electric series.

It is also great to see that a few American rounds have been confirmed on the calendar.

I also heard that American team Andretti Autosports have announced they will be entering a team into this series.

Any word on what the cars will look like?
Old 18 Jul 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3278959)   #67
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Ok... I have three things to share... one of which is bad... VERY... BAD

The Andretti Livery:

The FE car sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5Ro...layer_embedded

Ok... the bad... the very bad...

Quote:
Social media

Fans, whether watching live or at home, will also be able to interact before, during and after the race through Formula E's social media channels. As well as following the official Championship channels, you can also check out what the teams and drivers have been saying or get involved with competitions and even vote for your favourite driver who will receive an extra 'Push-to-Pass' - meaning you could directly affect the outcome of the race!
Old 18 Jul 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3279122)   #68
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
The Hinch could get a shot at it.
Having frontrunning IndyCar drivers would be awesome! That's what Formula E needs.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 05:42 (Ref:3279269)   #69
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardfolk View Post
Ok... I have three things to share... one of which is bad... VERY... BAD

The Andretti Livery:

The FE car sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5Ro...layer_embedded

Ok... the bad... the very bad...

What's the "very bad"? Push to pass? I like it, personally - I'd give Hinch a few votes for a push to pass...

What bothers me is the Formula E car sounds like a jet taking off... you can watch the Red Bull Air Race for that!
Old 20 Jul 2013, 08:10 (Ref:3279604)   #70
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What's the "very bad"? Push to pass? I like it, personally - I'd give Hinch a few votes for a push to pass...
It makes a dangerous blend between sporting contest and popularity contest. I wouldn't feel very comfortable with that personally.

It's one thing when series makes this kind of populist gimmicks in exhibition races(having the leading American tin-top series in mind in particular), but when it touches official races counting for an actual championship, sanctioned by a large and well recognised body like the FIA, it's a very different story.

That said I am not very familiar with this series, and not knowing how much extra power a "push-to-pass" will give, I wouldn't be able to tell whether one single of them could play a such a highly significant factor in a race.

Back on topic. Airport races. Bring it on.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3279623)   #71
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The reverse top 8 rubbish in GP2 & GP3 is one thing, but voting for which driver gets a free push-to-pass is a joke. I'd definitely class that as "very bad".
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3281446)   #72
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Latvian "eO" team wants to go to FIA FormulaE.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 05:30 (Ref:3281727)   #73
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
The Latvian "eO" team wants to go to FIA FormulaE.
Latvian... that's a first, is it not?
Old 28 Jul 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3282649)   #74
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Latvian? There you go - a dog with false teeth. Anyway this new blood can only be good for the sport.

How long is going to take team Addax to commit?
Old 2 Aug 2013, 19:14 (Ref:3285115)   #75
kurski
Veteran

Finland

Spark Racing Technology has announced plans to introduce their Spark-Renault SRT_01E Formula E race car at the Frankfurt Motor Show on September 10th.