Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 19 Sep 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3306142)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Formula Acceleration 1

Continued from AutoGP thread:http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=137349&page=4

Series website: http://acceleration14.com/formula-ac...1-world-series

Autosport article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109953

Discuss!
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3306210)   #2
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who needs this series? AutoGP runs the same cars, the junior market is already ridiculously overcrowded, and true motorsport fans go to watch racing anyway. Complete waste of time.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3306213)   #3
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
best quote i've seen in webland about it:

"Why does motorsport keep attracting this sort of delusional nut job who seems to think that it's an easy way of making a fortune?
Oh that's right. One delusional nut job has made a fortune.
But he's probably the only one."
Old 19 Sep 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3306271)   #4
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
A wise investment.....

Who put's money into these series having seen Superleague/A1GP, etc and more to the point what convinces them to do it.

"A June date in the UK is currently listed as the only TBA on the Acceleration 2014 calendar."

Madness!
Old 20 Sep 2013, 00:33 (Ref:3306395)   #5
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing is, he wants this family friendly atmosphere and to increase ticket sales right?
Well, most kids I know are into supporting one F1 driver like a Football Club, usually a Brit. If the big stars aren't there most people around my age (15 going on 16) probably won't be interested unless they are into racing anyway. I doubt they'll be signing big music acts to perform at their races either, so they won't show up for that.

I can see why the organisers are trying to get competitive racing on the bill via the Legends and Pick-Ups, but how would the average person/casual fan, AKA the people who don't go to races often, know that Legends racing is as close and spectacular as it is?

I don't really see how they are going to get drivers in for the series anyway. So to summarise, I am sceptical, but as always I am willing to be wowed and proven wrong.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 20 Sep 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3306471)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just seems to me like a guy with a bit of money who has bought a fleet of cars he doesn't know what to do with, and now has a few series under his belt he wants to turn it into some kind of travelling circus

I know of him, he was a half decent rider in 125 GP racing years ago, Lord knows how he has got into doing this sort of thing, must be pally with Zwart if he is using the Algarve track which is no bad thing, as he is loaded too!

Seems a little short on content, but as I say just a bloke who has a few fleets of cars and wants to make a show, might work, but somehow I doubt it unless he makes it free for punters or something
Old 20 Sep 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3306561)   #7
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which cars do they have? The old Ferraris or they have ordered new cars from Auto GP/Coloni/Lola?
If it's properly promoted it can be success, look at Superstars. In Italy the weekends are fantastic. Motor racing is attractive even without big names, it's been proven in the past, just many people forgot how to do in the past decades.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3306568)   #8
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The off track activities will be as important as whats on track if they're looking to attract families. Most children (under 12's anyway) have a limited attention span and will only watch the racing for so long. If the organisers can provide other activities for them and make good use of what the circuit can offer (my two kids love playing amongst the trees at Brands Hatch) that will help.

Also, in the UK at least, promoting that it's actually a relatively cheap day out for families, when compared to theme parks and the like would be a good line to take. Especially, as that applies to all events not just this one in particular.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3306682)   #9
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Just seems to me like a guy with a bit of money who has bought a fleet of cars he doesn't know what to do with, and now has a few series under his belt he wants to turn it into some kind of travelling circus

I know of him, he was a half decent rider in 125 GP racing years ago, Lord knows how he has got into doing this sort of thing, must be pally with Zwart if he is using the Algarve track which is no bad thing, as he is loaded too!

Seems a little short on content, but as I say just a bloke who has a few fleets of cars and wants to make a show, might work, but somehow I doubt it unless he makes it free for punters or something
Why would he need to be pally with Klaas Zwart to use the Algarve/Portimao Circuit? It has no links to Zwart, I think you're mistaking it for the Ascari Race Resort Circuit in Spain.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 20 Sep 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3306726)   #10
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So which pick ups are these. Most the photos are of the Sonny Howard Cars, but didn't think these are V8 ?
Old 20 Sep 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3306760)   #11
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The story in the print edition of Autosport is that the pick-ups are a specially commissioned vehicle from an "undisclosed constructor in Holland".
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3306816)   #12
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
Which cars do they have? The old Ferraris or they have ordered new cars from Auto GP/Coloni/Lola?
They're using a fleet of A1GP Lolas, with the old bodywork (before Coloni's Auto GP modifications) according to the pictures of the Manor MP Motorsport car from the launch.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3306976)   #13
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
The story in the print edition of Autosport is that the pick-ups are a specially commissioned vehicle from an "undisclosed constructor in Holland".
So not a series started in 1995 as the website suggests, and one pickup truck photo looks like an Australian Ute car.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3316411)   #14
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
They're using a fleet of A1GP Lolas, with the old bodywork (before Coloni's Auto GP modifications) according to the pictures of the Manor MP Motorsport car from the launch.
It's a bit confusing on the website, as there are two pics of the Lola A1GP type spec, and another (looks to be German colours) with different wings front and rear...

It'll fail, like all the others...
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3336455)   #15
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This week there will be the first test at Navarra and Performance will run Felix Rosenqvist and John Bryant-Meisner...
Old 25 Nov 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3336595)   #16
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Says their website can't be displayed on my computer....
Old 27 Nov 2013, 11:28 (Ref:3337326)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The best thing would have been to merge with AutoGP as neither series can grow in competition with each other surely?

Still I guess we need to wait and see who and what turns up for the first meeting!
Old 28 Nov 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3337913)   #18
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Olly Webb posted that he is testing
Old 29 Nov 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3338164)   #19
Formulahistory
Veteran

With which team?
Old 29 Nov 2013, 16:15 (Ref:3338180)   #20
Formulahistory
Veteran

So the entry list shows us:

John Bryant-Meisner (Performance)
Felix Rosenqvist (Performance)
Daniel de Jong (MP)
Meindart van Buuren (MP)
Steijn Schothorst (MP)
Andres Mendez (?)
Jeremiah Wagner (?)
Oliver Webb (?)
Old 27 Dec 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3348189)   #21
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calendar updated..

It was....
• Portimao (POR) - 27th April 2014
• Navarra (ESP) - 4th May 2014
• TBA (GBR) - 8th June 2014 (which replaced Rockingham)
• Anderstorp (SWE) - 22th June 2014
• Slovakiaring (SVK) - 13th July 2014
• Nürbugring (GER) - 27th July 2014
• Paul Ricard (FRA) - 24th August 2014
• Hungaroring (HUN) - 31st August 2014
• Brno (CZE) - 9th September 2014
• Grobnik (CRO) - 21st September 2014

It is now
• Portimao (POR) - 6th April 2014
• Navarra (ESP) - 4th May 2014
• Nürburgring (GER) - 25th May 2014
• Monza (ITA) - 8th June 2014
• Slovakiaring (SVK) - 6th July 2014
• Zolder (BEL) - 20th July 2014
• Paul Ricard (FRA) - 24th August 2014
• Hungaroring (HUN) - 31st August 2014
• Grobnik (CRO) - 21st September 2014
• Assen (NLD) - 19th October 2014
Old 27 Dec 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3348207)   #22
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
On a side note, why are all these european series ditching the UK?

WSR, WTCC (& Auto GP), DTM.......

Are we becoming an irrelevant market?
Old 27 Dec 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3348211)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or a wise one? Or they asked the one man and his dog who turn out for most meetings and he couldn't make that date? None of our second rate drivers have enough money to buy a seat in these ridiculous ventures so they don't bother to come.

World motorsport at this level is a mess, best to stay away until it sorts itself out. We still get all the important series.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 00:38 (Ref:3348223)   #24
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgot to add that Grobnik and Slovakiaring are not homologated for FA1, so eight rounds of Acceleration 2014 will have the single seaters.

And already confused by the series name which was FA1 World Series, then became FA1 Series and is now just Formula Acceleration 1.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3348258)   #25
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Or a wise one? Or they asked the one man and his dog who turn out for most meetings and he couldn't make that date? None of our second rate drivers have enough money to buy a seat in these ridiculous ventures so they don't bother to come.

World motorsport at this level is a mess, best to stay away until it sorts itself out. We still get all the important series.
What IMPORTANT series? I can only note F1 & the supporting GP2 & GP3? I can remember when we had 20+ F1 ,F2 F5000 meetings.
For about 2 mins I fancied my first trip to Croatia-think Grobnik has a srteet circuit?