Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Aug 2000, 23:57 (Ref:31983)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of curiosity.
With only 4 weeks to go, how is the USA living up to the Grand Prix?
We don't get much news about it here in Europe, but is there any excitement noticeable.
Are people talking about it and are there promotional campaigns on TV or radio?
Are there any broadcasts that have the Grand Prix as a special item?
Is it sold out and how many people are expected?
Will you be there to watch the race or will you sit in front of the telly?
I'm really excited that after so many years there will be a USA Grand Prix, surely the Americans must feel the same.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 01:43 (Ref:31995)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just received my new issue of "Racer" magazine which has a feature on the GP. Speedvision have been running a series of "countdown to Indy" shows giving the History of the USGP and general background on F1. It's a big event for them as it will be their first broadcast to the world at this magnitude

I have seen no notice of it in the General press, but its too soon. Probably by mid-September, it might rate a short piece in Newsweek or Time; it will certainly receive mention in the New York Times which is the only "real" newspaper to receive national distribution. If the big three TV Networks, NBC, ABC and CBS are to feature stories on their evening News reports, it would be only during the week before the race.

NPR, National Public Radio, a listener supported Radio Network composed of independant and University owned Radio Stations has several pretty thoughtful commentaries through the day. Two years ago, when Tony George signed the deal with Bernie, the ran a 10 minute story on their evening report "All Things Considered"-I'm anticipating a follow-up as the F1 circus arrives at Indy.

I'll keep you posted as the date approaches. Honestly, i'm not optimistic for wide coverage-Nascar, which is the most widely followed sport in the States has minimal coverage in the National Press.

As the Race will be broadcast only on the narrowly distributed Speedvision and Fox SportsNet, most Americans will never be aware that the race has transpired.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 02:50 (Ref:32024)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen a few mentions on TSN (in Canada) of a contest being run by BMW/Castrol to give away tickets. I have heard that 200,000 tickets have been sold. My American (non-racing) friends know nothing about it.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 02:57 (Ref:32026)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

they should race at elkhart lake, that is a great picturesque track....
Old 22 Aug 2000, 04:40 (Ref:32038)   #5
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly they should have held it at Elkhart Lake, that is an amazing track. The problem is that Champ cars run there, (I watched the race that's when I really noticed how nice the track was) and from what I know Formula 1 and CART never run on the same track to avoid comparison.

I think they messed up the U.S. GP once they put whats surly going to be a procesional race (thanks to crappy track design) in NASCAR country.

Old 22 Aug 2000, 04:49 (Ref:32041)   #6
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, by the way Gereard from what I heard it was sold out awhile ago. But up here on the Pacific coast of Canada (Vancouver/Surrey) we get alot of American TV, but I still haven't heard anything about it, apart from on TSN and Speedvision.

By the way Liz, or any one form Canada, did you notice that the Japenes Grand Prix was broadcast on SpeedVision last year? Which was weird since they aren't alowed to broadcast F1 in Canada.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 13:02 (Ref:32108)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are some obvious and not so obvious changes in America concerning F1.

During CART races we hear about it as it concerns Indy. ESPN/ABC Sports (our major sports networks) has finally been able to show actual race footage during their race reports on RPM2Nite. In the past Bernie expected to be paid for this and no one would do so. If anything has ever damaged F1's exposure in America this has. Being that there are few American based sponsors in the series, and tobacco is not allowed to advertise on TV, there have been no commercials on TV during non-race oriented programs. I am sure that we will see some adverts as the race draws closer. The problems comes that they will not advertise during normal primetime programming hours. They feel content to advertise to the race fans during races, this is like preaching to the flock. They are already watching so why bother telling them about it? Also, Speedvision carries live coverage of all but a few events each year with Fox Sports carrying same day delay coverage. Speedvision is not readily available on landline cable in every market and is usually on a pay extra cable service. Fox will be carrying three days of coverage live, practice, qualifying and race all live for the majority of America .This could help.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 16:01 (Ref:32139)   #8
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
motorsports fans, and only motorsports fans are excited about usgp at ims.

fox had their deal with f1 before bernie made his deal with tony.

fox is now gearing up for nascar. they dont't like f1. the fox suits call it 'that foreign open-wheel series'.

but anyone who has ever been to ims will agree. it's a great place to hold the race. the tradition, the walls,
backdooring turn 1. f1 engineers really going to have their hands full try to get the cars right.

i think it will be the best race of the season.

Old 23 Aug 2000, 03:32 (Ref:32254)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engineers will be looking for compromise. The track is similar to Brazil in that it has one super fast part, and one slow and boring part.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 11:55 (Ref:32329)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Elkart Lake: It is too much of a race track for F1...way too fast...too dangerous

I know they have done the place up...walls gravel traps...but i will never forget Arnd Meir winding up on the wrong side of the fence in 1998... that could have been soooooo bad....
Old 26 Aug 2000, 06:00 (Ref:32860)   #11
loxy-lotus
Rookie

loxy-lotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
U.S. can't wait for F1

It will be tough for F-1 to gain support from the
get go, but I can tell you every seat, hotel and resturant
is booked solid.

IRL, CART and unfortunately NASCAR draw most of the attention.

I can tell you that a local TV station in Indianapolis is
giving F-1 a lot of coverage. (I work for the station)
In fact they are going to Monza to get a taste of the F1-circus. What should they
tell American audiences about F1 that they don't know?

This will be the biggest international event ever for Indianapolis. They can handle it and are ready for F1.
The grand prix races are not on primary TV in the USA,
in fact FOXNET and Speedvision carry the races, but they
are cable stations and won't reach as many homes as ABC, CBS or NBC.

American fans of racing are unsure how the drivers will approach them. We are used to drivers giving time to sign autographs and making public appearances. I hear F-1 guys are sort of unreachable. Is that true?
Old 26 Aug 2000, 17:41 (Ref:32952)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In General, yes the F1 drivers are untouchable at the track. However this not because they are all snobs (although many are), it is because paddock access is much more restricted.

However, after the checkered flag it is always a good idea to rush to the pit wall, as often a driver or two will come out and sign some autographs.
Old 26 Aug 2000, 18:24 (Ref:32959)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome, loxy.
I'm an American who has been an avid F1 fan for nearly thirty years. What has always appealled to me is the melange glamour,romance tradition and history, and superlative technology. It is a fascinating mix, and it grieves me that there isn't a strong American presence in the sport-I dearly hope this will change in the future.

A recent thread on this forum discussed the appeal of F1, I've posted a link to it below. I think the various opinions of the members of this forum are clearly delineated here.

As far as what a fan can expect on race day-I suspect that many will disappointed by the distance kept between them and the Teams-and I think this needs to change.
The F1 cars will seem slower on the oval, as they will be accelerating out of the infield into the first turn on the oval. I think the rate at which the cars accelerate will stun fans at Indy. In addition, the cars are LOUD-a high pitched piercing and painful scream-bring ear plugs. I went to Montreal this year for my first F1 race in 2o years, I could not believe how much

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3150