Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Sep 2006, 02:08 (Ref:1701987)   #1
v8smoker
Racer

Bahrain
tent
v8smoker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who has the best Engine power

SBR used to have good straight line handling,Now its the HRT HSV group.
Have SBR gone backwards building so many customer engines,I think WPS DJR GRM have a better engine.
FPR would be right behind HRT for power.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 02:15 (Ref:1701991)   #2
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is a myth that HMS have much more power. You need to watch the cars more carefully if you think that.

Getting a good run onto the straight does not equal more power.

Maybe they have a very slight advantage, but it isn't as big as SBRs was over the rest of the entire field in 2003/2004.

It certainly isn't 70 hp, not even 20 hp. They are figures from serial whinging exaggerators.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 02:28 (Ref:1701994)   #3
v8smoker
Racer

Bahrain
tent
I never said HMS had 70hp more.
03 04 SBR didnt have that much more power they just got onto the straight better
Old 5 Sep 2006, 03:50 (Ref:1702002)   #4
Sparklehorse
Racer

Australia-Aboriginal
Perth
Sparklehorse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Benson FPR engines are good units.

Sector 2 is a good indicator to engine power, the WPS cars had it all over the SBR engines in that sector.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 04:03 (Ref:1702005)   #5
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a fine line these days, between getting good drive out the corners and top grunt.

Sandown has always been a horsepower track, and it obviously showed on the weekend who has there engine package sorted.

I happened to be up the back of the circuit on the weekend for a bit, and noticed that the HRT, HSV and occasionally the 888 cars, would hit the rev limiter for a few seconds, before the braking point.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 05:29 (Ref:1702017)   #6
hrt_rulz01
Racer

Australia
Australia
hrt_rulz01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just look at tracks like hidden valley this year. the HRT & toll cars were the ONLY ones on the limiter at the end of the straight. in the shootout, skaifey was on the limiter for 3 seconds from what i counted. i think FPR have the best ford engines.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 06:51 (Ref:1702034)   #7
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8smoker
Have SBR gone backwards building so many customer engines
That would only improve the breed as they can put more development in.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1702043)   #8
pink_bits
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
pink_bits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FPR def have the fasted Ford in the Field..
Old 5 Sep 2006, 07:48 (Ref:1702058)   #9
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_bits
FPR def have the fasted Ford in the Field..
Not quite - the #888 car was the second quickest @ .2 of a second behind car #2 car #6 was about .2 of a second slower than 888 and car#15 was .1 slower than car #6 - ; when you weigh up all the factors very little separates the top 1/2 dozen cars in race pace (times are approx and only from memory) and the difference can come from many different areas .
Old 5 Sep 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1702147)   #10
Lowndesfan6
Racer

Lowndesfan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find that the HRT/HSV engines at both Qld and Sandown equated to about 2/10 ths a lap in advantage over SBEs.

Their cars gain about 3 car lengths on the straights.

Could we see them hit 300kph at Bathurst......noting the diff only allows 298kph.

People have to realise that track design has a huge part to play in any type of HP advantage.
Qld, Sandown, and Bathurst have, and will show this.
Bahrain will no doubt aswell, noting the layout.

Last edited by Lowndesfan6; 5 Sep 2006 at 09:57.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1702151)   #11
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beleive it may have been Jose Fernandez that suggested that the HSV/HRT cars have 70hp over his Britek.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1702204)   #12
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How could anybody claim HRT have 70bhp over a competitor's engine? It's not the horsepower that gives the car grunt, it's torque and how well that torque is transferred to the ground. The HRT/HSV cars get out of corners very well. As a point of comparison, Lowndes' 888 car seems to have the best mid-corner speed in the field but the trade off is that its slower out of the corners and the terminal speed is therefore compromised.

Anyway, the best indicator will be the drag up mountain straight. All uphill and at the rev limiter in 5th.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1702208)   #13
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
I think it is a myth that HMS have much more power. You need to watch the cars more carefully if you think that.
I think we should all watch more carefully then, because there is no doubt in my mind that the Walkinshaw cars have more bhp than anyone else. Yes, they put their power down well, but if you look at the Oran Park races, plenty of times Craig was getting a better run out of the final corner than the HMS cars that he was behind (he seemed to be behind a different one in every race too!). He would even gain on them for a while up the straight, but then they would simply drive away from him. There is no power down in that.

I am not whinging about it, it is just how it is at the moment, and sadly I don't see it changing before Bathurst......
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1702209)   #14
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An unnamed SBR team member from NZ who works on the #1 believes that they currently have a genuine horsepower deficit over HRT/Toll. He went on to believe that barring a miracle that Skaifey would take out Bathurst.

Another interesting point is that he said at the Qld round, Courtney would beat Ingall 9 times out of 10 if they were running the same set up.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1702221)   #15
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Referring to the question in this thread topic..

Anyone who has a breakfast of baked beans, cabbage and eggs would get the best top speed down a straight.... the engines are so close that au-natural power via nocuous gasses could provide additional thrust.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1702284)   #16
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the HRT cars don't have more power they wouldn't be putting in the times they are. Power is everything in this series as everything else is so controlled. From Tyres to Diff Ratios and Gearboxes, it is controlled so power is really the only area where anybody can get a clear advantage.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1702291)   #17
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldnt you think though with the nature of the locked diff's, theres alot to be gained by good power down?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1702754)   #18
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
If the HRT cars don't have more power they wouldn't be putting in the times they are. Power is everything in this series as everything else is so controlled. From Tyres to Diff Ratios and Gearboxes, it is controlled so power is really the only area where anybody can get a clear advantage.
Wouldn't you agree that the engines are as 'controlled' as everything else? Configuration, capacity, rev limit, etc.? They're almost identical. If any car or team is getting more out of any part of their car, within the rules, good luck to them.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1702757)   #19
pete55
Veteran

Yes good luck to them but i think the engine components are going to get even more controlled making it harder to get any advantage as far as power goes.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 02:33 (Ref:1702882)   #20
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HOLDEN
Walkinshaw Performance - HRT/Toll HSVDT
Harrop - Tasman
Perkins - JDR/PWR
PMM - PMM/TKR/AutoBarn

FORD
Prodrive - FPR
SBRE - 888
DJR - DJR
SBRE - SBR
SBRE - BJR
Prodrive - Britek
Old 7 Sep 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1703855)   #21
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8smoker
I never said HMS had 70hp more.
03 04 SBR didnt have that much more power they just got onto the straight better
How do you know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndesfan6
Their cars gain about 3 car lengths on the straights.
See this is why I said people need to watch a bit more carefully. You made that up from an idea in your head - the cars do not gain 3 car lengths on straights. Watch the distance carefully in on board shots. You're seeing what you want to see. Cars naturally spread out as they go faster - a 1 second gap at 250 km/h is larger in distance than at 100 km/h.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Again you're just making a proclamation. You have no evidence for that. Its like saying if FPR didn't have wheels on their cars they wouldn't be doing the times they are.

I don't think HMS have the same or less horsepower than others. I just don't think its a huge variance. Its very easy just to say "well they have more power, what can we do?".
Old 7 Sep 2006, 01:01 (Ref:1703870)   #22
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan

Again you're just making a proclamation. You have no evidence for that. Its like saying if FPR didn't have wheels on their cars they wouldn't be doing the times they are.

Well i asked somebody who should know. Maybe Bazil will come on and give his view on it.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1710023)   #23
v8smoker
Racer

Bahrain
tent
The question was who had the most engine power.
Not Who got there power down the best
Not who had the most aero drag
Not who had the most mechanical drag
Not who's gear changes are the slowest
All of which will effect straight line speed but not power of the engine
Old 14 Sep 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1710070)   #24
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklehorse
the Benson FPR engines are good units.

Sector 2 is a good indicator to engine power, the WPS cars had it all over the SBR engines in that sector.
Bensons vast experience in engine building certainly showed FPR what real horsepower is!!!
Old 14 Sep 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1710074)   #25
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8
I think we should all watch more carefully then, because there is no doubt in my mind that the Walkinshaw cars have more bhp than anyone else. Yes, they put their power down well, but if you look at the Oran Park races, plenty of times Craig was getting a better run out of the final corner than the HMS cars that he was behind (he seemed to be behind a different one in every race too!). He would even gain on them for a while up the straight, but then they would simply drive away from him. There is no power down in that.

I am not whinging about it, it is just how it is at the moment, and sadly I don't see it changing before Bathurst......
EXACTLY CORRECT HRTHSVHRTHSVHRTHSVHRTHSVHRTHSV=HPADVANTAGE
Skaife has said on TV early in the season his team has good car speed this year-what does that mean? it means he is quicker than his opposition! DOH!

Last edited by Grimace; 14 Sep 2006 at 10:22.