Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1732242)   #1
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Publicity for marshals Well done.

I am not sure who is responsible but congratulations.
Driving to Silverstone on Sunday I was listerning to Touch Radio. The news item advertising the BTCC at Silverstone next week mentioned the general shortage of marshals and the possibility of having to cancel meetings if we could not recruit more. They also mentioned that a Garage would be set aside during the meeting to help with the drive for more marshals. When I arrived at Silverstone I asked if anyone new more. No one could help! I hope its not a secret?
Who is responsible and whoever they are best wishes and congratulations in making this very positive move. If I decide to camp I will certainly spread the word.
Does anyone know more?
Old 8 Oct 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1732315)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
I am not sure who is responsible but congratulations.
Driving to Silverstone on Sunday I was listerning to Touch Radio. The news item advertising the BTCC at Silverstone next week mentioned the general shortage of marshals and the possibility of having to cancel meetings if we could not recruit more. They also mentioned that a Garage would be set aside during the meeting to help with the drive for more marshals. When I arrived at Silverstone I asked if anyone new more. No one could help! I hope its not a secret?
Who is responsible and whoever they are best wishes and congratulations in making this very positive move. If I decide to camp I will certainly spread the word.
Does anyone know more?
Contact either Eric Ridler, Sue/Chris Whitlock
They may have details if recruitment drive is BMMC or Pam Dearn @ Silverstone if it's a BRDC thing!

It might have been a BARC thing, in that case it's Sarah Wernham
Old 9 Oct 2006, 06:48 (Ref:1732527)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It's actually a joint thing with Volunteers in Motorsport and the BMMC. This is part of a year long campaign to attract new marshals to motorsport and is being helped by Martyn Bell who offered his garage to help with recruitment. I believe that at Silverstone there is a seperate garage available.

Well done to all concerned and I believe there are yet more radio slots lined up.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1732640)   #4
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Stephen. Hope I get the chance to drop by.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1732676)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Interesting......the shortage of marshals being mentioned in publicity for a meeting for which marshals have been told their services will not be required.

Ain't irony a wonderful thing!
Old 9 Oct 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1732730)   #6
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Interesting......the shortage of marshals being mentioned in publicity for a meeting for which marshals have been told their services will not be required.

Ain't irony a wonderful thing!
I have volunteered though BMMC and have got my passes. I am only a trainee so I was wondering which orgs are telling marshals that they are not required.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1732888)   #7
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what various people have said it is only in the last few weeks marshals have been turned away by BARC.

Unfortunately with the meeting only on the National Circuit there are only so many marshals you can fit on a post!! It is a very rare occurance for this to happen these days, but for BTCC everyone seems to want to do the meetings at the moment. I know there have been several meetings at Brands where they have had to stop taking marshals.

If you volunteer at the start of the season you will normally get in to meetings, however it you leave it to the last minute there is a possiblity this will happen. This has only happened at a maximum of 10 meetings at different circuits this year, and when you think of the amount of meetings run it is a very small percentage.

No-one likes to turn marshals away and it is only done on the grounds of safety.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1733008)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
And in these cases it is usually those who are only able to do one day that are declined.

The reason for recruiting at BTCC meetings should be obvious to most, there are large numbers of spectators and hence a better success ratio than at a clubbie.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1733212)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
The reason for recruiting at BTCC meetings should be obvious to most, there are large numbers of spectators and hence a better success ratio than at a clubbie.
Sorry if my post appeared to be a little bit negative - it wasn't intended that way! Catch 'em at TOCA meetings then wean 'em onto real motor racing!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1738477)   #10
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'll be pleased to note that Motors TV have been plugging away for marshals as well during their coverage of the Touring Cars today - even suggesting that if people are interested in motorsport then why not contact their "local club".

Now - how do we persuade them to do a similar plug at the START of next season?????
Old 15 Oct 2006, 15:24 (Ref:1738483)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I e-mailed MotorsTV during the recent Bathhurst asking them to plug marshals. Maybe they have seen my message! I will go back to say thanks.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1738496)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And ask them to plug early in the year rather than in October when everything is closing down for the winter??????

Should this be a new motto: Get 'em young but get 'em in April ????????
Old 15 Oct 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1738500)   #13
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen, perhaps a good chat with David Leslie, maybe at the Autosport Show would help, him being an honorary member and all. He can at least speak to the other commentators at Motors TV to keep up the good work.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1738506)   #14
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Eric,

Considering David Leslie's accent, you might want to rephrase your comments!!!!!!!

(and this girl lives with a Scot..........)
Old 15 Oct 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1738527)   #15
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
David Leslie is always very good at plugging marshals and is very sympathetic to the cause, as are I believe Tim Harvey and Ben Edwards. Martin Haven has been posting today so perhaps he'll read this and give us some tips for making sure we get some mentions next year
Old 15 Oct 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1738536)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Er,!
Motors TV have been plugging the Marshals all season!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 17:25 (Ref:1738551)   #17
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
So why not concentrate on early season? Get 'em in early in the year and they might still be there come October, which means they might be back following April.
Hence my comment about Motors TV (bless them) talking about marshals now, in October!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1738630)   #18
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
David Leslie is always very good at plugging marshals and is very sympathetic to the cause, as are I believe Tim Harvey and Ben Edwards. Martin Haven has been posting today so perhaps he'll read this and give us some tips for making sure we get some mentions next year
Martin is guest of honour at the BMMC Midlands Centre end of season party on 11 November at Mallory Park. You can be sure he will be given "instructions" to keep plugging away on our behalf!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1738650)   #19
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Remember the Top Gear/VBH piece from Oulton some time ago?

Motors TV would/could do this better - to an audience who actually watch motorsport!
Old 20 Oct 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1743166)   #20
chrislambyep/ys
Rookie

England
Yorkshireman in Cheshire
chrislambyep/ys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a new member, would I be out of place if I mentioned that I have included a piece on my web site,it's about those distinctive orange overalls and the fantastic job you all do? Without your expertise, dedication skill and care we would all be armchair racing fans, we are in debt to you all for the tireless work you undertake,
Thank you
Old 20 Oct 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1743174)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
You most certainly would not be out of place Chris. A very warm welcome to ten-tenths.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1743196)   #22
chrislambyep/ys
Rookie

England
Yorkshireman in Cheshire
chrislambyep/ys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Stephen,

I am looking forward to becoming a regular visitor to the site.

Regards