Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Dec 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1801258)   #101
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack
Question: I'm two signitures away from a full card for Incident and I'm doing my incident training day in January. After then should I continue on my chosen path to I/O or do a further 5 days flagging for the new "experienced marshal" as the new system is not being used yet?
I'd suggest that you do what you want to. Or perhaps do both if you find both enjoyable. What the new scheme offers will inevitably take the 2007 season to settle down.

Why not do one thing at one circuit or for one club and the other at another circuit/club/ That way you see something different and still cpresent a consistent face to your chosen circuit/club.

But, most importantly, remind yourself that you follow the sport for fun and to see racing, not to progress through any grading scheme.

Regards

Jim
Old 29 Dec 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1801261)   #102
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystacks
Call them what you want, its an experienced marshal giving knowledge to a newbie. I can see nothing wrong with that.
Yes, that's the key point. We are trying to encourage, develop (offer training for) and recognise these important skills and the individuals who are willing to do the extra work involved.

Regards

Jim
Old 26 Jul 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1973927)   #103
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just wondering what the "Latest" is on this?

Where are these new Buddies?
As far as I am aware, no one who has volunteered to be one, has had any contact from anyone.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 13:28 (Ref:1973966)   #104
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Where are these new Buddies?
I met one at Knockhill last weekend! Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to talk to him about it.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 15:58 (Ref:1974126)   #105
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was all starting to happen at the start of the 2008 season?

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 26 Jul 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1974136)   #106
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wife started marshalling 5/6 weeks ago and still haven`t had the VIM pep talk & walk about.
at this rate she get all that in her training day next year.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 16:37 (Ref:1974157)   #107
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was looking at this last night! From what I've gleaned from the MSA and ViM websites, looking at the flowcharts and trying to comprehend what should be easy to understand is I, as a trainee marshal wanting to upgrade to marshal, need 10 signatures and 1 fire training signature with an assesment from an Ex. Obs (or similar) and send my stuff(after carefully photocopying them) to my main club who forward them onto the MSA. The process takes aprox. 1 calendar month to sort and send new license with new grade on back to me!

I think thats right but I'm willing to be corrected!!!!
Old 26 Jul 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1974159)   #108
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
My wife started marshalling 5/6 weeks ago and still haven`t had the VIM pep talk & walk about.
I've been on bank since April and I havent had one of those either! Not bothered now just sort of picked it up as I went along!
Old 26 Jul 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1974161)   #109
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
Was looking at this last night! From what I've gleaned from the MSA and ViM websites, looking at the flowcharts and trying to comprehend what should be easy to understand is I, as a trainee marshal wanting to upgrade to marshal, need 10 signatures and 1 fire training signature with an assesment from an Ex. Obs (or similar) and send my stuff(after carefully photocopying them) to my main club who forward them onto the MSA. The process takes aprox. 1 calendar month to sort and send new license with new grade on back to me!

I think thats right but I'm willing to be corrected!!!!

10/10
thats exactly how it works.
but its the same for any grade,just the required sigs change.

got an assesment this weekend,so will find out if the plan actually works the way it`s suppose to,thats with postal strikes taken in to consideration.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 16:43 (Ref:1974162)   #110
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
been doing startline/pits since march and in 9 meetings never had one but i already knew most of it having watched the last few years from the side.
Old 26 Jul 2007, 16:54 (Ref:1974168)   #111
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by new marshal mat
been doing startline/pits since march and in 9 meetings never had one but i already knew most of it having watched the last few years from the side.
wife has been doing assembley mainly,but the i/c at the different circuits has taken her to race control ect,so she`s slowly picking it up.
But she`s having fun,being chatted up by drivers.
But from time to time the dominant streak comes out
Old 26 Jul 2007, 17:01 (Ref:1974175)   #112
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
got an assesment this weekend,so will find out if the plan actually works the way it`s suppose to,thats with postal strikes taken in to consideration.
I would like an assesment too but not sure who to ask? I'll check when I sign in and hopefully some nice kindly Ex Obs will take me "under?" his/her wing and sort me out!!!???
Old 26 Jul 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1974260)   #113
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
I would like an assesment too but not sure who to ask? I'll check when I sign in and hopefully some nice kindly Ex Obs will take me "under?" his/her wing and sort me out!!!???
You just have to speak to the Chief Marshal and they`ll put you with a trainer/buddy/Ex Obs for the day.They will sign your card after the session if they are satisfied you have adequately demonstrated your competance(From MSA Q & A)
But it would be best to contact the Chief Marshal in advance and arrange it rather than first thing in the morning of a race weekend.
I`ve arranged to do it at my local track.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1974680)   #114
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've been on bank since April and I havent had one of those either! Not bothered now just sort of picked it up as I went along!
We try to do the walkabout the first meeting you attend at Oulton Park (preferably before you start marshalling as an intro!) - this is not always possible depending on availability of marshals!

If you have not done the Oulton Park walkabout and would like to - please let me know and I'll see what can be arranged. We have a number of newbies coming through over the coming months so should be able to tag on a few more if required!
Old 27 Jul 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1974915)   #115
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshalGirl
We try to do the walkabout the first meeting you attend at Oulton Park (preferably before you start marshalling as an intro!) - this is not always possible depending on availability of marshals!

If you have not done the Oulton Park walkabout and would like to - please let me know and I'll see what can be arranged. We have a number of newbies coming through over the coming months so should be able to tag on a few more if required!
Thanks Nadine! I wasnt having a dig as my first event was the F3/BGT weekend. Been busy ever since and just gone with the crowd, no worries but I would like to tag along with the next one!
Old 29 Jul 2007, 19:47 (Ref:1975898)   #116
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
[quote=gachjoel]You just have to speak to the Chief Marshal and they`ll put you with a trainer/buddy/Ex Obs for the day.They will sign your card after the session if they are satisfied you have adequately demonstrated your competance(From MSA Q & A)
quote]

Well thats the rumour i heard.
Well third time lucky on asking.....
Old 31 Jul 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1977524)   #117
Alpha Charlie 6
Rookie

Alpha Charlie 6 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Blue flagging is an art which does not use a computer......which is why some many under the age of 28 have difficulties in becoming proficient in this highly satisfying part of marshalling.

The art is in the amount of concentration involved, and being able to remember both numbers and colours at the same time.

Us oldies found it easy because computers have not clouded our brains.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1977541)   #118
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Charlie 6
Blue flagging is an art which does not use a computer......which is why some many under the age of 28 have difficulties in becoming proficient in this highly satisfying part of marshalling.

The art is in the amount of concentration involved, and being able to remember both numbers and colours at the same time.

couldn`t agree with you more.

recently i was doing incident at thruxton.
there was a 45 minute radical enduro race with drivers change.
the two flag marshals were calling who had changed by car/helmet colour and who had not gone in.
after all of this and when it settled down,they called the top 3 in order.
Now that i found really impessive.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 22:40 (Ref:1977694)   #119
Nick Kirby
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
Nick Kirby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Read yesterday where CAMS in Australia is bringing in a new "more marketable" grading system for Officials. Previously, we had Grade 4 for newbies up to Grade 1 for right-hand of God type Officials.

Now we are to be called trendy "frequent flyer" names like...Gold, Silver and Bronze etc....what Grading System do other countries use??

From what I have read, the FIA leaves it up to each country to administer.
Having read most of the posts in this thread and the vast majority of the refer to the UK, I just wanted to ask GTB-4 how things are progressing in his part of the world. Has anything improved?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 07:58 (Ref:1977922)   #120
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
recently i was doing incident at thruxton.
there was a 45 minute radical enduro race with drivers change.
the two flag marshals were calling who had changed by car/helmet colour and who had not gone in.
after all of this and when it settled down,they called the top 3 in order.
Now that i found really impessive.
Gary, are you saying Jim and Olaf are old?

Joking aside they make a great flagging team, they know each other and always work together, each helping the other and looking out for changes throughout the races.

Plus it made my job as Observer a lot easier, I knew I could leave them to it (and if I lost track of the race I could just ask them!!! ).
Old 1 Aug 2007, 10:16 (Ref:1978049)   #121
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Kirby
Having read most of the posts in this thread and the vast majority of the refer to the UK, I just wanted to ask GTB-4 how things are progressing in his part of the world. Has anything improved?
Status Quo is a great rock band....and I think thats what can be said for Marshaling all over the world

Run by volunteers whose experience varies (and much, much more importantly - their level of knowledge varies) and managed by a mix of people whose expertise also varies.

When it all comes together it is a thing of beauty....when it doesn't....well

It ain't a pretty picture if you look too close....much better to just appreciate what happens on track and hope for the best

Stay safe out there people
Old 1 Aug 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1978455)   #122
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:

well i pass at the over age of 28,would never even attempt to blue flag in a race with double drives involved.
I`ll stick with club & F3 meets.
gonna be a year or 2 before i even think of stepping up in blue flagging leauge.

Norbet,
i think the correct term is mature.
But it was a pleasure to see them both in their prime.

Well next car meet is F3/GT,see you there if your down for it
Old 1 Aug 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1978583)   #123
Alpha Charlie 6
Rookie

Alpha Charlie 6 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It is a shame the standards of us oldies are now being shamlessly diluted.

Norbert is a great observer...but I saw his potential years ago when he was just a lad!!!

You can learn a great deal from him.....he had a good teacher!!!!!

I am delighted he is carrying on the Alpha Charlie 6 traditions...

Do you remember the ''bible'' Norbert???

Last edited by Alpha Charlie 6; 1 Aug 2007 at 21:13.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 21:14 (Ref:1978587)   #124
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:

You can learn a great deal from him.....he had a good teacher!!!!!

Do i see a bit of modesty.

only spent 1 weekend with norbet,was quite enjoyable.

Alpha 6 mmmm
i wonder
i ponder to what that is
Old 4 Aug 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1980310)   #125
witan_
Rookie

England
witan_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who needs a complicated grading system?
Overheard at a recent meeting:
Course car; "We can't find an observer to give us a report."
Race Control; "That'll be the oldest guy on post then."