Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Jan 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3011053)   #126
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My concern is if this is a sign of things to come. As has been said, the lure of fresher and louder GRC is pulling the regulars away from the established ERC.

Rx-guru raises a valid point in that it is just a small number of drivers departing, but what if this exodus rates continues?...

To be honest OMSE are the team I'm holding my breath for. I thought Foust was one of the stars of the ERC in 2011 and I'd like to see him back for another crack at the title in 2012. With Binks onboard as well it would be great to see him in a full time ERC drive, especially as the other two British hopefuls have gone to the US.

As the first team to mount a dedicated effort in the US though, I have a horrible feeling that their (OMSE) priority will lie with the GRC as well...

...hopefully I'm wrong though!
Old 13 Jan 2012, 11:21 (Ref:3011109)   #127
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Eddi - why all the panic? Sure there will end up being 4-5 regulars from the ERC in GRC. THis is hardly the end of the series or a return to weak fields. I think getting into - even an 8 car - A Final is still going to be really difficult and entries will be strong.

Rather than being bitter, we should hope and encourage European organizers, promoters, etc to do a better job. If they had taken different paths over the last few years (decades?) they woudln't have squandered the best form of motorsport on the planet. Hopefully this is a wake up call.

I will see what I can find out about international television coverage. With the international events in 2013 I would hope that ESPN makes some progress on this.

Best Buy will be doing some very cool live stuff and all will be revealed soon. If the snow holds off our launch will include a demo on the rooftop parking lot of our Corporate Campus streamed live around the world......

Mark
Old 13 Jan 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3011111)   #128
rallyloverke
Racer

rallyloverke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plz make "soon" this weekend, to plan our holidays :-)
Old 13 Jan 2012, 13:15 (Ref:3011162)   #129
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
I agree with Eddi - why all the panic? Sure there will end up being 4-5 regulars from the ERC in GRC. THis is hardly the end of the series or a return to weak fields. I think getting into - even an 8 car - A Final is still going to be really difficult and entries will be strong.

Rather than being bitter, we should hope and encourage European organizers, promoters, etc to do a better job. If they had taken different paths over the last few years (decades?) they woudln't have squandered the best form of motorsport on the planet. Hopefully this is a wake up call.

I will see what I can find out about international television coverage. With the international events in 2013 I would hope that ESPN makes some progress on this.
Mark, I don't think people are panicing or certainly being bitter. I'm not and I applaud what you're doing with the GRC. Its taking the sport to a wider audience and a new level and gives us another take on it. But we've seen it happen before when series fight one another and the damage it causes. Thats not happening at the moment and I remain optimistic it won't, but working together before it possible starts would be fantastic and refreshing. I agree with you the ERC needs a bit of wake up call as I personally feel it has hit a ceiling with its current offering and I look forward to news about TV coverage. Keep up the good work is all I can say.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3011182)   #130
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Thank you!

My belief is that the GRC will lift the ERC. The American version will always be different and won't please the purists. GRC still has a lot to learn about organization from the ERC and maybe the ERC will pick some marketing and promotion ideas up from the GRC.

Certainly a big enough world for everyone. Of course, we will all stop talking once the racing starts and that happens within a week of eachother!

Mark
Old 13 Jan 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3011190)   #131
rallyloverke
Racer

Same here : i am not really in panic. I follow rallycross for more than 30 yrs now, end renewing can be interesting. And that's why i am keen to see the dates and venues : to plan our holiday and mix things with visiting an American rallycross-weekend :-)

I do hope Europe and America will work together to build up the level!

But no need of artificially made high bumps/jumps which results in a higer chance of destroying rallycross-cars! :-)

Andy Scott proves you don't need them to fly high :-)

Old 14 Jan 2012, 00:19 (Ref:3011443)   #132
QuarterRik
Rookie

Belgium
Roeselare
QuarterRik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
So what the heck is the HUGE problem for some of you seers? A deserted ERC?
Yes and no, but admit that the names are linked to America, all candidates for a European A-final.
As I said, there will of course other drivers in the spotlight. Sub-top teams will now quickly get in an A-final.
I just hope great racing.

Quote:

Mark
As I report above, I do not panic .I see things just as they are described.

I had really hoped that Global Championship, would actually be a World Championship. So that the Amerikan drivers did some european races as well.

I completely agree with you that, organizers, etc. their own sports media have almost achieved.
Everyone in the ERC has been busywith its own organization (understandably, it's not easy)or iown interest.

You can not even call it promotion.I really hope it is a wale up call.

The events are filmed well enough, but those images must still reach the public,not just the die hard fans.

When I speak only for Belgium alone, there is more intrested in WRC, WTCC and F1, while there are no Belgian at the top.
While people like Koen Pauwels and Mickaël Descheemaker delivered magnificent performances in 2011, they are hardly made the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
My concern is if this is a sign of things to come. As has been said, the lure of fresher and louder GRC is pulling the regulars away from the established ERC.

Rx-guru raises a valid point in that it is just a small number of drivers departing, but what if this exodus rates continues?...

To be honest OMSE are the team I'm holding my breath for. I thought Foust was one of the stars of the ERC in 2011 and I'd like to see him back for another crack at the title in 2012. With Binks onboard as well it would be great to see him in a full time ERC drive, especially as the other two British hopefuls have gone to the US.

As the first team to mount a dedicated effort in the US though, I have a horrible feeling that their (OMSE) priority will lie with the GRC as well...

...hopefully I'm wrong though!
Mainly this is my concern as well
Old 14 Jan 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3011459)   #133
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
A question I have is how much interest is there in the US, and I mean from Joe public? Plenty of Americans post on ten tenths but there seems to be a distinct lack of interest in this thread or any rallycross thread except of course from the very English Mark Williams! No doubt the promoters and sponsors will hand out free tickets to get bums on seats but how many would call themselves fans or have heard of Holte or let alone Scott or Binks?

I may be wrong but I doubt this Global thing will take off like some hope for so I guess we will have to put up with it for maybe a year or two then hopefully those drivers will return to their roots.
Keep in mind, none of this is new at all. Back in the 1980's the Mickey Thompson Stadium truck series was a nearly exact format to this Rallycross championship. It had major manufacturer support, big sponsors and tv coverage and was successful for a while before fading out due to different issues.

Whether or not this GRC will succeed is hard to say. I think there is room in the marketplace for this, but it has to be promoted to get the attention it needs to survive and the show and organization has to be top notch as well. There were tons of grumbles in the background about various things about this championship in regards to money and organization last year, so when you go for the big leagues you've got to have all that ticking over, otherwise competitors get ticked, fans get ticked and it muddies the water.

The rally community in the USA is almost a niche within a niche. It's very small in relation even to other esoteric championships. Europe had a great tradition of racing on public roads going back 110 years, some of which evolved into what is now rally, but in the USA there was some of that, but a lot of popular racing in the USA was always on ovals and there isn't that much of a tradition of running on public roads.

So rally in the USA has always been a backwater, running far away from cities out in the woods near small towns. There is a fan base of rally but it's in isolated regions in the USA.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3011769)   #134
The Eye
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The Eye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamakiRX View Post
Anyone know if Scott will still do ERC in the Focus? I know Procter is doing a full ERC campaign.
Scott will do 8 ERC races in the Focus. Hungary and Sweden clash with GRC so he won’t do them.
</SPAN>
Old 15 Jan 2012, 03:02 (Ref:3011777)   #135
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thank you!

My belief is that the GRC will lift the ERC. The American version will always be different and won't please the purists. GRC still has a lot to learn about organization from the ERC and maybe the ERC will pick some marketing and promotion ideas up from the GRC.

Certainly a big enough world for everyone. Of course, we will all stop talking once the racing starts and that happens within a week of eachother!

Mark
ERX has lots to gain. If GRX is succesfull, the ERX can say "watch rallycross like you see on TV, but on your backyard!" The typical European won't travel to the US, they will go to their local rallycross track.

What if their best leave for the US? They can say "watch here the stars of the future!" Plus, retired GRX drivers may return to race in Europe - "watch the legends!".
Old 15 Jan 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3011809)   #136
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol "the typical European wont travel to the US", well the drivers are fella, if no-one else is, and that is who we pay to watch!

Money talks and at the moment the ERC are doing little to attract it, and I see now also that even trakcs over here are looking at GRC, Holjes has linked up with them.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3011854)   #137
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
ERX has lots to gain. If GRX is succesfull, the ERX can say "watch rallycross like you see on TV, but on your backyard!" The typical European won't travel to the US, they will go to their local rallycross track.

What if their best leave for the US? They can say "watch here the stars of the future!" Plus, retired GRX drivers may return to race in Europe - "watch the legends!".
Thing is that it wont be like you see on tv (thankfully)if the GRX continues with all the jumps etc (which im sure can not be doing the drivers backs any good ). Therefore people will either be disappointed when they go to a european event or not go because they didn't like what they saw on the tv. Worst thing could be if european rallycross thinks it needs to copy the GRX in this respect though no doubt the ERC could learn a thing or two from the GRX.

If the GRX was more in the european style but with all the promotion and razzamataz then yes it could be really good for rallycross as a whole but dont change things so much that rallycross almost becomes two different forms of the sport but under the same name, even more confusing when the US already as a form of motorsport called rallycross!
Old 15 Jan 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3011877)   #138
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is ERX and what GRX? Do you talk about ERC and GRC? And if so, why not use the common abbreviations?
Old 15 Jan 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3012063)   #139
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I apologise for my huge error and for any confusion it might have caused anyone. GRC not GRX :
Old 17 Jan 2012, 09:22 (Ref:3012732)   #140
rallyloverke
Racer

Isn't it strange nothing is announced about the venues, where they will race this season? It is very difficult to plan things already or maybe they don't want any public at the events :-)
Old 17 Jan 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3012839)   #141
USRallycross
Racer

United States
(Very) good things come to those who wait.......had thought it would be a couple of weeks ago but there are always details. Inside scoop is very exciting and GRC hope to announce something this week.

All planning towards April 15......
Old 17 Jan 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3012856)   #142
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enough teasing, just tell us the plan!
Old 18 Jan 2012, 00:43 (Ref:3013147)   #143
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
To me, RC is Rally Championship or Radio Control. Rallycross is RX.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3013361)   #144
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
To me, RC is Rally Championship or Radio Control. Rallycross is RX.
And if so, why not using ERXC for European Rallycross Championship and GRXC for Global Rallycross Championship?
Old 18 Jan 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3013362)   #145
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
And if so, why not using ERXC for European Rallycross Championship and GRXC for Global Rallycross Championship?
Theres too many letter, I'm getting confused!
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3013635)   #146
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Theres too many letter, I'm getting confused!
Right, RX and ERC or GRC is just fine.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3013643)   #147
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The official TV coverage is also using ERX.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3013649)   #148
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
The official TV coverage is also using ERX.
Official? Hmmm, sounds like an euphemism here…
ERX may be European Rallycross, but the C stands for Championship. Maybe someone needs to tell Chris Courteyn…
Old 18 Jan 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3013654)   #149
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I assume ERC is hiring Coureyn so I name that the official coverage.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3013663)   #150
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I think the reason he's using ERX for ERallycrossC is because he's also covering the ERallyC.

http://www.racing-action.com

But have to admit it's confusing.