Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Oct 2002, 17:56 (Ref:406653)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Bernie Buys CART" made it to Autosport

This weeks' Autosport includes the rumour that Bernie is buying into CART. I realise that Autosport doesn't ALWAYS get it right, but this confirms what we have been hearing from other sources, and also lends credence to the rumoured switch of the USGP to Long Beach ... its ancestral home ...

Would this not be a sharp stick in the eye for You Know Who? Not to mention a BIG slap in the faces of the deserters. We can but watch and wait ... but it's beginning to sound more true anyway.

Last edited by Liz; 17 Oct 2002 at 18:00.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 21:48 (Ref:406866)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An Autosport headline that doesn't contain the word "slam". Hmmm. It could be true then!

Pook and Bernie are mates. I think that Bernie wants to see CART do well, maybe he can help. Unfortunatly it does seem to need something at the moment. (not that I think the invisibles as you like to put it are winning, I just think no one is winning).

A GP back at Long Beach. Wow. That would be good, but I'm not sure it will happen. And it would be nice (but impossible) to revert back to the old track! But as I am doing now, I think a Long Beach GP is just nostalgia!

Would the CART race stop? Or would there be two races at Long Beach?

I would like another street track on the F1 calendar, although it would be nice if it could produce good racing! I like the extra driver challenges that these circuits throw up. But they are by design not ideal for modern F1, but then neither is Hungary!

Anyway, it's too early to know. But very interesting and we could probably ramble on about previous GP there and also what the future holds...
Old 17 Oct 2002, 23:20 (Ref:406922)   #3
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It means CART can move away from being tagged with "Indy"

The defectirs moved away too soon!
Old 17 Oct 2002, 23:25 (Ref:406929)   #4
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be pretty surprised if the USGP would move to Longbeach F1 standards are pretty high these days and that means no street circuits (with the exception of Monaco).
Old 17 Oct 2002, 23:57 (Ref:406937)   #5
jcclausen
Rookie

jcclausen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that is indeed true, we may be seeing the beginning of the end; for the IRL, that is. There is definitely subterfuge and cunning afoot in American open wheel racing right now.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 05:30 (Ref:407003)   #6
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’m not real sure how I feel about Bernie buying into CART. I don’t like the idea of CART coming under his control. I wouldn’t want CART to become a North American version of F1. On the other hand, I like the idea of Bernie owning a significant portion of stock in CART. (Not as big as what Forsythe has.) In that situation, he has influence but not control. It is then in his best interest to see CART succeed. In that scenario, Bernie would be more than willing to put his considerable clout behind CART. Of course the line between influence and control is very fine in the world of large hungry sharks. :confused:
Old 18 Oct 2002, 10:52 (Ref:407109)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, that would be ideal. The best thing would be the large looming presence in the background, silencing the deserters and giving those who are staying new hope.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 11:01 (Ref:407116)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If Bernie bought into CART, where would that leave the Indianapolis GP?
Old 18 Oct 2002, 11:11 (Ref:407124)   #9
Liz
Veteran

In Long Beach, from what I hear.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 15:13 (Ref:407256)   #10
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The USGP will probably not be in Long Beach and CART will probably not be in Monaco.

Unless that's the only thing Bernie and Pook were discussing, and in that case I'd be disappointed. Pook needs to be doing much more than finding venues to share with F1.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 15:21 (Ref:407261)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Maybe they were just telling Tony George jokes. Or trading recipes. Or making fun of TGF.

but maybe not. That's the way rumours are....
Old 18 Oct 2002, 16:25 (Ref:407308)   #12
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Long Beach would ensure that Hollywood visits the USGP

As much as I like the town of Indianapolis, while the USGP is held there, it aint gonna attract the B-list celebs
Old 18 Oct 2002, 16:57 (Ref:407326)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, if Bernie buys into CART, that must be good. As long as he doesn't have controlling interest. If Bernie sees CART as a friend and not as a menace for F1, then everything will go smooth.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 17:00 (Ref:407327)   #14
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Jordi, with CART's current position , I doubt Bernie would do anything , he could let CART run its course, i dont think CART is a menace for f1 , maybe in the 1990s it was but not now!
Old 19 Oct 2002, 00:07 (Ref:407683)   #15
jcclausen
Rookie

jcclausen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's just assume, for the sake of discussion, that Bernie and Tony got into a ****ing match over the USGP. Who has the bigger brain and deeper pockets? I think we are going to see a very interesting off season.

Last edited by jcclausen; 19 Oct 2002 at 00:08.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 00:29 (Ref:407696)   #16
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i doubt that the USGP is going to Long Beach. It is not that suitable in its current congiguration. what is more likely is that bernie will buy a portion of CART stock (maybe) and perhaps use CART in holding a few European races on circuits he takes GP's away from (Spa and Imola) because of the China and Dubai GP's. It also gives him a major series to hold against the manufacturers breakaway series.If the manufacturers walk away Bernies estate has no income, if he has another series fit to take over then its not so easy for the manufacturers to walk away. Bernie would hold the dates and the contracts with the circuits. He's not that stupid. CART's problem will be holding enough power to stop Bernie mangling the series. Remember Bernie has gone on record as saying F1 needs one tyre manufacturer, no traction control, no dominant teams, to be even handed, to be able to give all teams a show of winning. Now what series will be run in 2003 that is that even handed and yet competitive and fast enough to make it as a full international series on its own merits, that has a full international contingent of drivers. Let me think. Ummm....
Old 19 Oct 2002, 00:48 (Ref:407704)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie perhaps has realised that a lot of talent has come from CART over the years, so it was about time he bought into the series to ensure its survival against the Invisible League, that while still Invisible can now be considered a minor threat.

Bernie is welcome to buy into CART as long as he doesn't screw around with the format of the racing.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 06:24 (Ref:407772)   #18
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
CART at Spa...
A LongBeach triple-header with ALMS, CART and F1...
TG swallowing the bill for the road course...

So many sweet things...

Bernie doing away with the ovals...
Bernie moving the dates overseas...
Bernie selecting the drivers...
Bernie controlling the Empire...

So many sour things...
Old 19 Oct 2002, 07:21 (Ref:407780)   #19
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Pook.."Pook said the media has gotten "sucked in" by speculation and rumors, the latest of which has Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone either buying CART or becoming actively involved in running it."

http://www.indystar.com/article.php?pit18.html
Old 20 Oct 2002, 21:08 (Ref:408864)   #20
JR27
Racer

JR27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"switch of the USGP to Long Beach ... its ancestral home ..."

hmmmmm....the "ancestral home"...of the USGP?????.....you are simply amazing Liz.........though Riverside and Sebring both hosted the USGP since the begining of the F1 World Championship in 1950.....I would think that most people who have a clue about the history of the USGP would think that Watkins Glen New York best fits the bill for the "ancestral home" of the United States Grand Prix.

love and kisses

Murph
Old 20 Oct 2002, 23:19 (Ref:408915)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Well "ancestral home" is just poetic license, Murph darling. You are quite right about Watkins Glen, but it is a Historic Site now and cannot be upgraded to modern standards, so now it's kind of the Stonehenge of the USGP.

They could move Green Park to the Glen and revive the ancestral Bog though, those people would never know the diff.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 12:33 (Ref:409209)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you want to be picky, the USGP's home is really Indianapolis (AACK!) for the 500, and racer attendance is optional.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Oct 2002, 12:46 (Ref:409223)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whatever happens, I hope that it is best thing for F1 and CART and is not based on any desired that the other side fails.

As I have said I would like to see another street circuit in F1 and the US could be a suitable place for this. However I agree with many above. I am not sure that a Long Beach GP would be up to scratch.

Maybe I'll change my mind if another proposal comes a long (or they can sort Long Beach), but I am quite happy for the race to be at Indy. It's a reasonable circuit (by modern F1 standards). It could do with losing the really tight bits, but...

Paul, while it's not the reason I like the GP being at Indy, good point!

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Oct 2002 at 12:47.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 23:02 (Ref:410754)   #24
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If the rumor of a 51% controlling interest is true, will the name change to BART ?
Old 22 Oct 2002, 23:11 (Ref:410765)   #25
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest Autosport has CART changing some rules to allow Forsythe to buy more shares but everything above 15% of the stock must vote with the reccomendations of the board. So if you own more than 15% the extra has to support the board. Mind you, Forsythe is on the board...
So if Bernie wanted to buy 51%,36% would have to vote along with the board even if Bernie didn't agree. ie, under the current rules.