Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 27 Jul 2007, 10:59 (Ref:1974690)   #1
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW M3 E30 - Group A/DTM 1987-92

Okay this could be a biggie! With over 300 "kits" produced by BMW Motorsport between 1987 and 1992, (270 Group A and 60 Group N according to BMW racing team manager Karsten Engel) and "works" cars being run by Schnitzer, Zakspeed, Bigazzi, Cibiemme and Linder, amongst others, this could be one very big jigsaw to piece together by anyones standards. What I would like to do is try to get together a list of all the cars that were supplied new as "kits" by BMW Motorsport, not just the ones assembled by the works supported teams. These Matter prepared shells carry a chassis number beginning "M3 1-xx" with lower numbers being earlier cars obviously. I am hoping for a reply from BMW Motorsport in the next week or two, hopefully they may be able to shed some light on who some of these cars were delivered to.
It is ONLY these cars I am interested in, as the number of M3's that have been turned into race cars over the years would probably run into the thousands by now. Once we have a few chassis numbers up I will sort them into order. If you have one of these cars, or know of someone who does, please post details of the chassis number up, along with any known history of the car. To all you Brits who are worried about scammers or thiefs who might read this and want to come over and nick your car, I don't want your address or contact details, but the counrty where the car lives now would be good. Also, info on any cars that were destroyed would be useful to fill in the gaps.
Over to you guys!
Old 27 Jul 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1974723)   #2
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thinking some more about this in the shower (where all of my best thinking gets done!) I realised that the above criteria is a bit limited. You Aussies like a bit of DIY as we all know, and the Frank Gardner team built a number of (historically very significant and stunning looking) M3's which must be included here- one of which won the first race for an M3 (after the works cars were all disqualified in Macau or somewhere for illegal parts)
I think the CibiEmme cars may have been built in-house too, so these should be included as well.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1976230)   #3
grelley
Rookie

grelley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chassis no M3 1 177 (Reshelled Chassis no.) Supplied by BMW Germany to BMW France as parts for 220000 Euros.(1 of 4 cars purchased and the last one existing) Prepared by Team Mirabeau for French Super Tourism Series. Run by Horizon Garage for Michel Ferte . 2nd 1990, 5th 1991. Damaged at end of 1991 season and rebuilt using new bodyshell (M3 1 177)
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:16 (Ref:1977122)   #4
blinkybm
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
blinkybm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have some information from Schnitzer Motorsport which lists Works cars Chassis numbers 1-34, 1-18, 1-15 as being built up for/during the 1987 season, and midway (June) also chassis 1-42, which was car #46.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 13:05 (Ref:1979053)   #5
blinkybm
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
blinkybm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Chassis M3/1-57 replaced M3/1-42 (car #46) crashed at Bathurst by Ravaglia in Practice.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 02:36 (Ref:2019429)   #6
Revmaster T
Rookie

Revmaster T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gr.A car

Hello, my name is Thomas and live in Tampa Florida.

I just purchased a gr. A M3 chassis # M3 11260 I have been told that makes it the 126th car.
The car was raced in Macao, owned and driven by Kevin Wong and Charles Kwan in 89,90 not sure about 91. The car is painted white now but used to be yellow.
Team name was something like Tech one or Auto Tech the guy I bought the car from has a hard time remembering the details.

If anyone has any information about this car I would greatly appreciate it.
Some pictures would be fantastic form the early days I would love to see what the car looked like back in the day.

Thanks Thomas
Old 25 Sep 2007, 11:45 (Ref:2022513)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, Thomas!

Come on folks, there must be a substantial amount of info out there to develop this thread!
Old 26 Sep 2007, 02:41 (Ref:2023118)   #8
Revmaster T
Rookie

Thank you John. Let me post up some pictures this might help.

Thanks Thomas
Old 26 Sep 2007, 15:48 (Ref:2023677)   #9
collector
Rookie

Germany
somewhere behind the mountain
collector should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the Spezial-Tourenwagen-Trophy we had:

Jürgen Meyer (96-98): M3 1-209
Richard Weber (01-now): M3 1-231
Klaus-Peter Preuss (sold to Switzerland): M3 1-205
Werner Lenk: M3 1-196

This season Michi Besler races the ex-orange Mario Ketterer M3. He bought the the car in 2005 from Kurt Distler.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 17:31 (Ref:2023729)   #10
Revmaster T
Rookie

Is this the E30 with a V8 in it ?

Thomas
Old 26 Sep 2007, 17:57 (Ref:2023739)   #11
collector
Rookie

Germany
somewhere behind the mountain
collector should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the M3 has the V8 engine of the M5.
But there is another M3 with V8. This car was driven by Artur Deutgen at the Nordschleife.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 22:39 (Ref:2023934)   #12
Revmaster T
Rookie

Does anyone have the contact information to Schnitzer Motorsport ? I believe they might be able to give me some of the info I need.

Thanks Thomas
Old 27 Sep 2007, 12:28 (Ref:2024361)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmaster T
Does anyone have the contact information to Schnitzer Motorsport ? I believe they might be able to give me some of the info I need.

Thanks Thomas
Team Owner: Herbert Schnitzer
Team Manager: Karl Lamm
Technical Director: Andreas Schallinger
Race Engineers: Jacques Hendrikse and Michael Kölbel
Media Contact: Heike Bartsch (heike.bartsch@bmw.de)
Address: Görlitzer Strasse 2A, 83395 Freilassing, Germany
Telephone: +49 8654 4950
Fax: +49 8654 66318

http://www.fiawtcc.com/fiawtcc/teamnews_tea6148.shtml

Charly Lamm has been Team Manager at Schnitzer for over 25 years...
http://bmw-motorsport.com/ms/en/fasc...roes/lamm.html

Last edited by KA; 27 Sep 2007 at 12:30.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 13:00 (Ref:2024381)   #14
Revmaster T
Rookie

Hi KA, thank you very much I'll contact Schnitzter and I keep you posted on what I find out.

Thomas
Old 3 Oct 2007, 20:00 (Ref:2030211)   #15
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Revmaster T, yes youir car is ex Schnitzer & was built in December 1988 for the DTM. Don`t know what races it did but judging by the red interior colour it was probably ued by Schnitzer rather than built for a customer. They also ran cars in Italy in `89 so that is a possibility too.

Hope that helps, Alex
Old 4 Oct 2007, 00:56 (Ref:2030402)   #16
Revmaster T
Rookie

Hi Alex, when I flew out to California to take a look at the car I found that the car was repainted, it used to be yellow also the previous owner confirmed this.
The car was shipped to Asia after its build. I am still trying to find out more but time is not on my side at the moment.

Some people think it might be this car which Fujimi made a model from.
I was not able to confirm this so time will tell.

Thanks Thomas

PS if you like to see more about the car there is another thread on my forum
s14power(dot)com you will have to sign up to have access.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 15:50 (Ref:2067384)   #17
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Thomas,I have been doing some work on your car and discovered the following...It is in fact chassis M3/1-26 built by Schnitzer in February 1989.They ran it in the Italian championship for the whole season until it was sold in October of that year to Hong Kong business man Kevin Wong. He raced it at the macau Guia race if that year,coming 10th,he was 7th in 1990,was injured in a support race for the '1991 event and could not start,he was 6th in1992 and also in 1993. The wheels on your car in the photo are exactly as run during the later Macau races where the car was white with black and red panels and stripes.I think the idea of your car being yellow is odd,There were two yellow cars which ran in the Japanese series up until 1993, they were a team called Autotech (a large Japanese car accessory concern).The cars were running at the same time in different places within Asia.I hope this is of interest toyou. I will post another reply shortly with a site where you can find pictures of your car at Macau.Ian
Old 14 Nov 2007, 16:00 (Ref:2067391)   #18
ian beckett
Racer

Hello again Thomas,try this www.home.macau.ctm.net/~eddytang Scroll down to the bottom,click on History of Macau Guia race.You will then find the races when your car appeared.It may be a little slow!! Enjoy.Ian
Old 15 Nov 2007, 18:31 (Ref:2068251)   #19
Revmaster T
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett
Hello Thomas,I have been doing some work on your car and discovered the following...It is in fact chassis M3/1-26 built by Schnitzer in February 1989.They ran it in the Italian championship for the whole season until it was sold in October of that year to Hong Kong business man Kevin Wong. He raced it at the macau Guia race if that year,coming 10th,he was 7th in 1990,was injured in a support race for the '1991 event and could not start,he was 6th in1992 and also in 1993. The wheels on your car in the photo are exactly as run during the later Macau races where the car was white with black and red panels and stripes.I think the idea of your car being yellow is odd,There were two yellow cars which ran in the Japanese series up until 1993, they were a team called Autotech (a large Japanese car accessory concern).The cars were running at the same time in different places within Asia.I hope this is of interest toyou. I will post another reply shortly with a site where you can find pictures of your car at Macau.Ian
Hi Ian, thank you for all the info I very much appreciate it. I found a lot of yellow paint on several body panels. The hood, the doors and the trunk where yellow at one point. Here are some pictures :

The info I have from the previous owner is little or next to none but he did tell me that the car was owned by Kevin Wong. Ian do you think that Kevin owned more then one M3 back in the day ?

Thanks Thomas

PS the link you posted does not seem to work for me.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 09:05 (Ref:2068668)   #20
ian beckett
Racer

Hi Thomas,glad that the info' was of some help.try this on Google...www.home.macau.ctm.net/~eddy tang This should then show only one site.....Macaus Candy House. Click on it and scroll to the bottom of the page and then click on History of Guia race.This should then open up the various years there are photos for! You will see the large numbers of M3's racing over the years.The cars also raced in local championships in Thailand/Phillipines/Malaysia etc and their histories are completely intertwined with cars which also ran in the larger and more prestigious Japanese series.Because of the language difficulties I have found it at times almost impossible to follow the cars as they changed owners or had different sponsors and colour schemes.I am at present trying to unravel the histories of the cars along with Alex Elliott and will keep you posted as I discover anything new.You are correct about the yellow paint and that has rather thrown me! The Autotech team had two cars which ran in the Japanese series up to '93 when they replaced them with the 320 Supertouring car.Eddy Wong did own more than one car so further digging is required.I just wish I could read and Japanese because I have several race programmes which are fabulous for the photos but not much use for the text!! Any more photos would be helpful because I may spot other clues.What are your plans for the car? All the best Ian.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 03:18 (Ref:2069344)   #21
Revmaster T
Rookie

Hello Ian, thank you kindly for all the help and keeping me in the loop
To answer your question I want to drive the car on track days and after the car is sorted the plan is to do HSR events. My goal is to rebuild the gr.A car mechanicaly first but with the intend to keep the car as original as possible.
With that in mind in a few years the body will get a ground up restoration, hopefully by then I know what the livery was. I wonder how the car looked like when it was raced in Italy this may make a difference to me since I want to have the car the way it was built. I like the car in the Schnitzer colors red inside and white on the outside it would be great to know who the sponsors were back in the day.

Here are a few mor pictures.

It ran with side exhaust which I got also with the spares package.

Fitting for the air jacks.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 03:43 (Ref:2069351)   #22
Adrian B
Rookie

Adrian B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Thomas and Ian, I know that Kevin Wong did race in Japan in an M3 (I have a result sheet from the 93 All Japan TCC at Fuji on the 31/10/1993, showing Kevin driving car #62), maybe the same car or another. In the early 90's Kevin, Winston Mak and Charles Kwan also raced several M3's in the SEAsian touring car series and Macau, and the cars were run by EKS Motorsport in Malaysia. I think alot of these cars made their way back to europe afterwards. Kevin has retired from racing but is still living in Hong Kong, I will try and get his contact details so you may be able get the info you need directly from him.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 04:02 (Ref:2069354)   #23
Revmaster T
Rookie

Not sure what happened but for some reason the rest didn't post......

Fitting for air jacks :

Air jack made/ sold by AP:

Production date from Matter ( 12/88 ) from when the built the cage.

Here are a few spares notice the red splitter !

All the rest of the wheels are from BBS

I found the name Charles Kwan writen on the spare tires I was told he drove the car too.

Side exhaust looks like it got damaged at one point.

If you want to see any specific pictures please let me know I be happy to post them up for you and Alex.

Here are a few when I received the car.

Thanks again Thomas
Old 17 Nov 2007, 04:08 (Ref:2069356)   #24
Revmaster T
Rookie

Her is a link that I found Kevin Wong was 10th overal and 1st in class
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...9%20Macau.html

And here Charles Kwan 1st :
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...3%20Macau.html

Thomas
Old 17 Nov 2007, 04:21 (Ref:2069357)   #25
Revmaster T
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B
Hi Thomas and Ian, I know that Kevin Wong did race in Japan in an M3 (I have a result sheet from the 93 All Japan TCC at Fuji on the 31/10/1993, showing Kevin driving car #62), maybe the same car or another. In the early 90's Kevin, Winston Mak and Charles Kwan also raced several M3's in the SEAsian touring car series and Macau, and the cars were run by EKS Motorsport in Malaysia. I think alot of these cars made their way back to europe afterwards. Kevin has retired from racing but is still living in Hong Kong, I will try and get his contact details so you may be able get the info you need directly from him.
Hi Adrian, thank you this would be of great help if I could contact Kevin Wong directly. I tried to google him but it's like googling Smith or Miller.
There is a lot more info out there on Charles Kwan then there is for Kevin Wong even though KW raced at a lot of tracks back in the day.
I have to double check there are initials on the floor painted for each of the drivers seat position. I'll take a piture and post it up.
I have to say this is one of the greatest experiences in my life tracking down the history of this gr.A car, thank you all for you help

Cheers Thomas

Tags
group a