Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Sep 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3133377)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
VIR

Well we finally have a WEC and ALMS race on the same weekend! The ALMS will be making their first trip to VIR, and I for one am looking forward to it. Qualifying will be on Friday Sept 14 at 15:30 local time, with the race (4 hours) commencing at 14:30 on Saturday Sept 15. The 2nd Dyson car will be there and so will Dempsey's P2 effort.

Schedule

Entry List

Timing & Scoring

ESPN3 Video

ALMS Video

Track Map

Spotters Guide

Weather

World Times
Old 9 Sep 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3133450)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
This is probably the race I've most anticipated for this season. For a long time, I have REALLY wanted to see the Le Mans classes compete on this track, and I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to catch the 2002 Grand-Am race at VIR, when they had SRP I, SRP II, GTS, and GT running.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 21:48 (Ref:3133486)   #3
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
This is probably the race I've most anticipated for this season. For a long time, I have REALLY wanted to see the Le Mans classes compete on this track, and I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to catch the 2002 Grand-Am race at VIR, when they had SRP I, SRP II, GTS, and GT running.
I'm also looking forward to this race. Hopefully the TV crew organizes some interesting views of the esses, particularly for qualifying so we can watch the prototypes do their thing.

Chris
Old 10 Sep 2012, 02:22 (Ref:3133544)   #4
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
If there's no Viper, I'm not watching it. :/
Old 10 Sep 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3133756)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
If there's no Viper, I'm not watching it. :/
There will be no Vipers, planned on skipping the race
Old 10 Sep 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3133758)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is my "home" track. I will be there!

Richard
Old 10 Sep 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3133858)   #7
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
There will be no Vipers, planned on skipping the race
Seems odd as this is where they tested.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3133881)   #8
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Yeah, I was hoping to see two old friends (in the 93).
Old 10 Sep 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3133928)   #9
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I'm guessing the huge amount of panel damage they've picked up during the last two rounds put pay to a late entry from them. Agree though that it's a shame. I want them to improve enough to make the trip to Le Mans next year.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3133989)   #10
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'm guessing the huge amount of panel damage they've picked up during the last two rounds put pay to a late entry from them. Agree though that it's a shame. I want them to improve enough to make the trip to Le Mans next year.
Scot Elkins said they chose Baltimore over VIR.

Chris
Old 10 Sep 2012, 04:38 (Ref:3133561)   #11
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where are the Vipers?

I guess they want more time to prepare for PLM :/
Old 10 Sep 2012, 05:02 (Ref:3133568)   #12
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good thing its a 4 hour race.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3133711)   #13
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I too, am looking forward to being there for this one. Nothing like a proper road course in the countryside with no big city in sight.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3133726)   #14
FalkenALMS
Racer

FalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're definitely excited to head to this track. Both Wolf and Bryan have competed on this track before with other race series, so they will bring some familiarity with them heading into this event. It'll be a good one for sure. Watching the field go through the esses or into Oak Tree will be a nail biter for sure.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 01:11 (Ref:3134006)   #15
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Actually, the teams all tested on the original, 3.27-mile layout, and that seems to be the layout they are going to use.

Here's the latest article regarding the event.

http://www.alms.com/articles/high-sp...a-tap-alms-vir
Old 11 Sep 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3134051)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's correct, they scrapped the idea of using the grand course. They should destroy the track record in quali.

Wish I could make it. I was going to go but something came up. Hopefully next year as I've never been to VIR.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3134283)   #17
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That's correct, they scrapped the idea of using the grand course. They should destroy the track record in quali.

Wish I could make it. I was going to go but something came up. Hopefully next year as I've never been to VIR.
From just racing on both Grand and Full at VIR a couple of weeks ago in a 24 hr race I can personally say that if the ALMS did race on Grand it would be a disaster as some of the corners aren't really setup for LMP cars and does not have the FIA kurbing while Full does. Now with Full being the configuration the two bad points I can see on it are Roller Coaster and the Esses(closing rate of LMP cars to the GT's may be a problem here).
Old 11 Sep 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3134306)   #18
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

Same here - not going to be able to make it down, but it is a beautiful track. Lots of character...to see these cars there will be something else.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3135114)   #19
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Actually, the teams all tested on the original, 3.27-mile layout, and that seems to be the layout they are going to use.

Here's the latest article regarding the event.

http://www.alms.com/articles/high-sp...a-tap-alms-vir
That was a good video. He hit the curbs pretty hard in a few spots.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3134253)   #20
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dempsey Racing's Lola P2 is not on the latest entry list.

http://imsaracing.net/2012/events/VI...IR%20Entry.pdf
Old 11 Sep 2012, 16:44 (Ref:3134313)   #21
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
Dempsey Racing's Lola P2 is not on the latest entry list.

http://imsaracing.net/2012/events/VI...IR%20Entry.pdf
bummer, wonder what the reason is? scheduling conflicts, budget or parts?
Old 11 Sep 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3134315)   #22
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
bummer, wonder what the reason is? scheduling conflicts, budget or parts?
This year was always going to be a race-by-race program as far as I'm aware, so missing a race here and there would be expected. They're probably saving the car for Petit.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3134328)   #23
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
extramundane has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
This year was always going to be a race-by-race program as far as I'm aware, so missing a race here and there would be expected. They're probably saving the car for Petit.
I think the confusion is due to the fact that they're still on the 9/4 list on alms.com, yet removed from the 9/10 list on the IMSA site.
Old 12 Sep 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3134576)   #24
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The Ten-Tenths Supported ALMS Spotter Guide for VIR is now online and as discussed, Dempsey have withdrawn their P2 entry.

You can download the guide here. Good to see the Momo NGT car back. Also note, Level 5 are due to have some new chrome elements to distinguish between the two entries.

http://www.spotterguides.com/2012-almswec/

(WEC Brasil is also available to download)
Old 12 Sep 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3134650)   #25
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That track layout must be so fast, wonder what speeds they do through those climbing esses.