Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 28 Nov 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1471988)   #26
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No I have not seen a GP2 race unfortunately, I would love to. I wouldn't notice a 2-3sec difference though and I don't think many spectators would.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1472488)   #27
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
What a fuss! Just leave it as it is.
The last sprint race at Sepang was for me the best high level single seater race that i have seen for at least 10 years from an overtaking point of view.
This series IS on the right path so what we don't need to do is fiddle with it yet, let it develop!

The speed of the cars is not an issue IMO.
I have to agree Paddockman. Sepang was awesome. Such close racing at the front. Imagine how popular F1 would be if it had that sort of racing week in week out.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1472590)   #28
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
No I have not seen a GP2 race unfortunately, I would love to. I wouldn't notice a 2-3sec difference though and I don't think many spectators would.
2-3 secs at Sepang, 4-5 at a high speed track like Monza. I think lots of people would notice the differnce at Sepang, depending where abouts on the track you are, on the 2 main straights A1 GP cars were doing around 175mph, GP2 would be around 185mph-190mph. The cars are fine in every respect IMO, apart from their top speed.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1473794)   #29
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
Lack of straightline speed is made up for by the low downforce and slick tyres producing close and exciting racing, they may look slow compared to F1 but they certainly arent slow. I think the spectacle the cars produce is far more important than them toucing 180-200mph. Perhaps we will see performance increases as the series develops. Im sure the rules & regs wont stay like they are year in year out.
That's a great summary, i agree. Only thing i would add is that they could make them look a bit tidier!
Old 30 Nov 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1473858)   #30
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The visual aspect of the design was exactly to Sheik Maktoum's wishes.

He gets what he wants
Old 1 Dec 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1475132)   #31
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thought I would add a little to this.

Firstly, the Zytek 3.4l in the A1 is basically identical, the speed is not lost there. Do not forget that a Sportscar is far more efficient aerodynamically in a straight line due to the closed in wheels - in an open wheeled car the wheels are spinning against the flow of the wind and they are not exactly aerodynamic themselves - nor are the exposed wishbones etc.

Secondly the Mulsanne straight at Le Mans is far longer than the straight at Sepang - far longer!!

Thirdly tell Hayanari Shimoda that the cars are not fast enough after his crash in Sepang. Make the cars faster and they are more dangerous.

PS. Speaking of Hayanari - 7th fastest in GP2 test today at P.R. HTTT- not bad going!