Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 24 May 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2885240)   #1751
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
http://jalopnik.com/5804718/the-futu...er-be/gallery/

IMO, shows how ICONIC failed. I still vote for the DP-01 in oval racing/airbox config (last pic).
I know it's all done and dusted but this article istill interesting:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...at-never-were/

I personaly think they made a big mistake not choosing Lola.
Old 24 May 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2885247)   #1752
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The mistake was having one manufacturer or as it is worse dallara insisting the nose has to stay in place rather than building a crash structure after the pointy bit...
Old 24 May 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2885258)   #1753
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At least the Lola package included Indy Lights.
Old 25 May 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2885747)   #1754
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
http://jalopnik.com/5804718/the-futu...er-be/gallery/

IMO this just shows how ICONIC got it wrong. I'd still vote for the DP-01 in oval/airbox trim.
The problem is, the DP-01 was not suited for ovals. Had it been running this year in the hands of de Silvestro, Tung, and Carpenter, it would have severely injured, if not killed them.
Old 25 May 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2885751)   #1755
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
The problem is, the DP-01 was not suited for ovals. Had it been running this year in the hands of de Silvestro, Tung, and Carpenter, it would have severely injured, if not killed them.
I thought the DP-01 was designed to race on both oval and road/street courses.

I don't know about them a being killed or severely injured. The DP-01 has an incredibly strong safety cell which met with FIA specs and it incorporated the raised nose, producing a safer environment for the driver in the event of a head on collision with a wall or another car.
Old 25 May 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2885752)   #1756
christcc2
Rookie

christcc2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
If used as originally designed, then yes, there could be some real safety issues.

But all it needs is a proper chassis update. Panoz is perfectly capable of doing that.
Old 25 May 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2885762)   #1757
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

I don't know about them a being killed or severely injured. The DP-01 has an incredibly strong safety cell which met with FIA specs and it incorporated the raised nose, producing a safer environment for the driver in the event of a head on collision with a wall or another car.
It was also designed for the n/a Honda lump and Champcar did have an oval test with the car.
Old 26 May 2011, 00:51 (Ref:2885943)   #1758
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

I can't remember all the details since it's been 4 years, but there were a few changes that were needed to make the DP 01 work for ovals and it was nothing that couldn't be done.
Old 26 May 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2886219)   #1759
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I can't remember all the details since it's been 4 years, but there were a few changes that were needed to make the DP 01 work for ovals and it was nothing that couldn't be done.
I know a guy who worked on the project when he was at Panoz. The nose configuration would need a complete overhaul, air intakes for cooling opened up, new wing assemblies built and an oval set of suspension bits (uprights, stabilizers, etc.) would all have to be designed within the geometry of the current road course chassis to make it work.

It could be done, but not cheap to do.

Due to the deal they cut with Champ Car to get the contract, Panoz would have had to sell spares for three seasons beyond the first season just to break even on the project.

After Champ Car folded, Panoz swallowed the loss hard (the argeement to settle with CCWS didn' even cover half of what they needed to break even), and tightented its belts by letting a number of people on their engineering and aerodynamics staffs go.

Their current "car construction staff" is a skeleton of what it was a few years ago...they don,t even have a designer on staff...just a draftsman who has no aero experience.

So anyone who thinks that the DP01 could rise from the ashes and Panoz could (or would even be interested in) make those changes to make the car oval worthy now needs to read this post again and think realistcally.

Could not currently happen, given the situation at Panoz...

Couldn't even happen on a bet in todays real world situation with Panoz

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 26 May 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2886416)   #1760
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
After Champ Car folded, Panoz swallowed the loss hard (the argeement to settle with CCWS didn' even cover half of what they needed to break even), and tightented its belts by letting a number of people on their engineering and aerodynamics staffs go.
Not true. Most everybody was still on board till after the Superleague cars were completed.

They also have a very good chance at getting some race car build projects in the near future.
Old 26 May 2011, 21:09 (Ref:2886425)   #1761
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Well enough about chassis discussions, seems GM's lump is coming along nicely.......

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ine-on-target/
Old 26 May 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2886426)   #1762
HJJ
Veteran

United States
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ine-on-target/
Old 27 May 2011, 02:52 (Ref:2886505)   #1763
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post

So anyone who thinks that the DP01 could rise from the ashes and Panoz could (or would even be interested in) make those changes to make the car oval worthy now needs to read this post again and think realistcally.

Could not currently happen, given the situation at Panoz...

Couldn't even happen on a bet in todays real world situation with Panoz
I don't think anyone was thinking that, just random talk about it. It's a five year old design now anyways.
Old 27 May 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2886700)   #1764
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Not true. Most everybody was still on board till after the Superleague cars were completed.

They also have a very good chance at getting some race car build projects in the near future.
The point I was making is that if anyone wanted to convert the DP01s now, that there are not sufficient personnel at Panoz to design and execute it.

To see how thin they are at Panoz right now, just look at how "successful" that Abruzzi GT car is thus far in the ALMS...

My friend was one of the people they let go when the Superleage cars were finished. I know exactly when they were released.

They do not have the necessary personnel on board at this time to properly execute and create an oval package for the DP01.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2890134)   #1765
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I don't think anyone was thinking that, just random talk about it. It's a five year old design now anyways.
In the days of spec. racing whether it is a five year old design, or a five month old design, it ain't new and it ain't old, except for being the same old-same old.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2891189)   #1766
gttouring
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
In the days of spec. racing whether it is a five year old design, or a five month old design, it ain't new and it ain't old, except for being the same old-same old.
heh heh
that's funny- I wonder what the IRL honchos really think of this? and the IPS cars are always so goofy looking with that nose and wing mustache
the old Buick Indy lights and Atlantics have looked better before
Old 4 Jun 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2891246)   #1767
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
heh heh
that's funny- I wonder what the IRL honchos really think of this? and the IPS cars are always so goofy looking with that nose and wing mustache
the old Buick Indy lights and Atlantics have looked better before
The front end isn't the problem with Indy Lights.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 23:54 (Ref:2891263)   #1768
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you mean the rear wing, I have to agree.

The Lights car looks a whole lot better than the 2003 IRL monstrosity to my eyes, but still looks ridiculous with those wings. I don't know why they couldn't give it a similar aero package to the old World Series by Nissan car, which I believe it is closely related to?

In any case, give me the old Lolas any day...
Old 6 Jun 2011, 03:06 (Ref:2891871)   #1769
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
No, more like the whole thing from the roll bar back.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2892903)   #1770
gttouring
Veteran

Again heh heh ugly cars. Ugly and slow. All hail anything new at this point
Old 9 Jun 2011, 09:48 (Ref:2894152)   #1771
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't believe it's been mentioned in the IndyCar forum, but the DeltaWing will race after all, at the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2012:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-24-hour-race/
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2894254)   #1772
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
I don't believe it's been mentioned in the IndyCar forum, but the DeltaWing will race after all, at the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2012:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-24-hour-race/
That will be pretty damn cool.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2894304)   #1773
gttouring
Veteran

With lights and I bet a touch wider it looks good. This is gonna be neat. Is it special runner or LMP? Half horspower less consumption..gas?
Good to see, is ganassi not involved?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 13:53 (Ref:2894312)   #1774
gttouring
Veteran

Double post sorry.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2894325)   #1775
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hey, now I am interested (being a LM fan)