Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Oct 2003, 08:44 (Ref:747959)   #1
Bruce302
Rookie

Bruce302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank Gardner's SCA Camaro

Gentlemen, and ladies.
Another question about the whereabouts of an old car.
Frank Gardner raced a 67/68 supposedly 427 Camaro in the BTCC (and won) and then the car went back to Australia. It was evidently sold to John Pollard, and then later to the Watt brothers.
Any idea of where the car is now ?
It would have been a very rare car, akin to Bob Janes ZL/1.

Bruce
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:34 (Ref:751059)   #2
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruce. Do you mean the 1973 BTCC winning car that was also used in 1974 in the ETCC. Car was owned by Adrian Chambers' SCA Freight company. Sponsored by castrol both years and was painted red, white & blue in '73 and plain green in '74.
Begs the question, did Frank take the car back to Oz when he retired from European racing at the end of 1974?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:52 (Ref:751094)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glyn - I reckon Bruce does mean the 73 winning car.
(Remember the scraps Frank had with Yogi!!)
I don't remember any blue on the car though - red, white and green due to Castrol. Was it then green and white in '74? Could always e-mail Frank's secretary in Oz to ask if he knows?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 17:25 (Ref:751140)   #4
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
Right on Andrew, I did mean green, must have ben thinking of David Howes Javelin (see recent posts.
BTW, did you go to Duxford on Sunday?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 18:01 (Ref:751182)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, not this time Glyn. Was at Silverstone HSCC Saturday, painting Sunday after watching the GP on tape following a late night out Saturday. Did you go?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:17 (Ref:751355)   #6
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
Not this time either, a shame as the weather was so good. Next year is more likely to be the next vist for the July show.
Back to Frank and the Camaro. I saw him race it four times in '73, at Race of Champs, BGP, TT and final round at Brands again, which led to yet another witty comment. Frank had to spin to avoid a German driver in his NSU at South Bank and was asked why he had not been so quick thereafter. The reply was simple, apparently he had company in his underpants! Priceless.
That was one of the few races that Yogi actually beat Frank fair and square that year as he had his BMW with the full aero package by then.
I had hoped that Frank would have a harder fight at the BGP race but Brian retired at about the same time that Gavin Booth had his accident with the Daves Matthews and Brodie.

Last edited by glyn parham; 14 Oct 2003 at 20:20.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 05:25 (Ref:751683)   #7
Bruce302
Rookie

Frank Gardners SCA Camaro

Hopefully there is a pic attached.
It should show the Camaro in question following Moffatt's Mustang at Pukekohe (NZ) in very late '72 or very early '73.
Is this the car he used for the '73 BTCC ?
Anyway, this is the car I was wondering about, and who has it now.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
gardner moffatt.jpg  
Old 15 Oct 2003, 07:53 (Ref:751811)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It certainly looks like the car. I saw it several times in 72 and 73, at the meetings Glyn mentions above but also at the BGP at Brands in 72, at Silverstone and the Crystal Palace F2 meeting.
I'll have to try and see if there are any photos around.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:19 (Ref:751826)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Isn't it the car the Dennis Leech ran?
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:50 (Ref:751969)   #10
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gardner used the later shape Camaro in 1972-73 BTCC, and various ETCC races in 1974.

The type of Camaro following in Bruce's pic was raced by Gardner in the 1971 BTCC, with both a 5.0 litre amd then a 5.7 litre engine.

Last edited by Jeremy Jackson; 15 Oct 2003 at 10:51.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 19:51 (Ref:752616)   #11
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
I didn't realise that Frank took the car to Oz at the end of 1972, as he was already using the later shape car in Britain and Europe from mid '72.
This car was sourced by Adrian Chambers with the intention of either John Hine or Roy Pierpoint driving for 1971, but the car was a no show at the first couple of rounds, driven by Hine once (I think) and taken over by Frank for the balance of the season. Frank fitted in this drive with his Lola commitments in F5000 so he was only able to finish second in class to "Yogi" at seasons end.
For 1972 this car was used up to Crystal Palace (end of May) when the newer shape version took over. But the story does not end there as Frank used it regularly in Germany during '72 where it ran in Jeigermeister (spelling?) colours.
I always assumed that the car passed into the hands of a British or European owner and not shipped out to Oz for more work before being sold on.
Peter, I doubt whether that is the Leech Mustang in the photo because I seem to recall reading somewhere on the web that Moffs car was imported from the States (Bud Moore?) and Leech's car was self built in 1970 and used through to 1973.

Last edited by glyn parham; 15 Oct 2003 at 19:52.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 19:55 (Ref:752621)   #12
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
Andrew I have an Autosport with a front cover colour shot of the car chasing Muir in 1971 (Gold Cup meeting?), but no scanner, do you have the same, or perhaps DaveM will come out of hibernation and produce one of his excellent photos.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 20:13 (Ref:752639)   #13
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
No I don't have that Autosport Glyn. I had them all once, back to 1957, alas no longer, but that's another story...
So come on DaveM, where are you?
Old 15 Oct 2003, 21:16 (Ref:752688)   #14
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glyn,

Gardner used the plain white new-shape car from round 1 1972 (Race of Champs) onwards, but reverted to the '71 car at the International Trophy meeting in April. The new-shape car came back for the Brands GP meeting. The older car was at Brands (and also used in practice) in Jaegermeister colours, ready for the German races.

Most of that from Autosport, plus my own first-hand memory!
Old 16 Oct 2003, 07:11 (Ref:752936)   #15
Bruce302
Rookie

I must thank you all for the excellent info, It is nice to know people were taking notes as it was all happening. It was the earlier car I was interested in initially, but the second car sounds very interesting too.
I would love to find out about that car as well. Any clues as to the origins of these cars ? I wonder if they had any earlier US history, or were they locally built ? Of course pics would be greatly appreciated too, but your collective input thus far is much appreciated.
Bruce.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 14:50 (Ref:753348)   #16
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have a pic of the later car 73/74 ill scan it later
Old 16 Oct 2003, 16:26 (Ref:753433)   #17
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
Jeremy, when I posted last night I wrote everything from memory and tonight I have had a chane to visit the attic and guess what, the first photo I found was of the new car racing at BH in '72.
I don't recall seeing the Jaegermeister car at BH GP '72 despite visiting the paddock on the Friday of the meeting. The only thing I do remember from that day was watching out for Peter Revsons' girlfriend who was wearing the shortest and tightest pair of hot pants known to mankind plus a top that was not exactly opaque. No wonder I forgot everything else (I was only fifteen at the time).
Bruce, I found some information on the car that you are interested in from a track test of the car printed in Autosport (February 24 1972) and written by Simon Taylor.
The car was built as a race car from a road going version by Mike Keaton who passed it on to Bill Shaw, who then rebuilt it into a Group 2 racer for Roy Pierpoint to drive in 1970.
Adrian Chambers became involved at the start of 1971 and, as noted last night, the intention was for John Hine & Roy Pierpoint to drive. Frank was invited to drive the car and after one test came up with a long list of "things to do" and so the car was developed into a rapid racer.
As Jeremy pointed out the car started life with a 5.0 litre engine (built by Alan Smith) and rebuilt into the 5.7 litre version during the latter part of 1971 in an effort to keep up with Brian Muir.
Hope this all helps.
Glyn

Last edited by glyn parham; 16 Oct 2003 at 16:29.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 17:09 (Ref:753467)   #18
Bruce302
Rookie

Excellent info, thank you, So it must have been the later shaped car that is listed as being 7 liter, and that took out the 73 BTCC. And in anticipation of the pics, many thanks Andy et al.
Now, any pics of Revson's girlfriend ?
Bruce.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 17:42 (Ref:753496)   #19
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
Glad to help with the info Bruce.
Sadly no photos of the girlfriend, I think the film melted that day (well it was a hot day)
DaveM are you out there and if so did you capture this fine young lady on film?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 17:44 (Ref:753497)   #20
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
Jeremy.
Thanks for all the info, it is very useful to have these gaps in my knowledge filled in.
Glyn
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:07 (Ref:754563)   #21
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Here is Frank at Thruxton in 1973. I don't know who took this fantastic shot and can't remember which mag it came from.It has been in one of my childhood scrap books for 30 years! Must have been a great place to watch behind the armco in the middle of the chicane.
Attached Thumbnails
tx73-gardner-camaro.jpg  
Old 17 Oct 2003, 19:36 (Ref:754694)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
No I don't have that Autosport Glyn. I had them all once, back to 1957, alas no longer, but that's another story...
So come on DaveM, where are you?
Can I just say that Dave M provided me with some fantastic pics of Frank in various cars, some of which I've used on the "history" page on my website.

So yes were is he?
Old 18 Oct 2003, 09:23 (Ref:754965)   #23
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would you like Frank Gardner's e-mail address so you can ask the man himself what happened to the car?
Old 18 Oct 2003, 18:56 (Ref:755305)   #24
Bruce302
Rookie

Spook, That is not a silly idea. Do you know if he is still receptive to answering questions about 30 year old cars ? There are a few who aren't but if Frank is, then yes, I should drop him a line. Thanks,
Bruce.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 22:18 (Ref:756383)   #25
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
Bruce.
Look forward to hearing your results.
Glyn