Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Apr 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3400092)   #451
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I said LMP1-L I kinda meant "Privateer Class" which is where everybody except the actual works teams lie. Ie seconds down the road

Winning LMP1-L sub trophy is rather meaningless, whether it's two competitors or five. It has basically the same "whatever" value as the Privateer Trophy, Rebellion itself has said that their sponsors really care more of the overall results. I guess it's boost for morale but no-one will notice it.

If/when Rebellion ends up being the only competitors in it I don't think it really means they have to plan switching to super duper expensive hybrid just because... but ACO should rather can the whole thing and just call all of them LMP1, which they are

The stupidest thing is that manufacturers are forced to have hybrids and privateers can choose, I never understood that. Loosing that too would be nice...

Anyway, if you listen to RLM's Le Mans 2012 Thursday Pitwalk podcast (came right after ruleset announcements) now, Rebellion's fears of seeing depleted privateer grids because of the changes have already happened. And back then LMP1 Privateer class looked, if a bit a sparse, at least semi-alive
Old 30 Apr 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3400093)   #452
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Its more the lack of funds, not cars or programs. Dome, hpd, Perrinn and this Oreca Rebellion are all cars ready to be built or raced. But seems like only Rebellion has the cash or sponsorship right now.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 18:29 (Ref:3400096)   #453
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would say lack of funds and lack of interest

I said it elsewhere but I kinda wished someone attempted to only do Le Mans like in the 'olden days' and can the rest of the season, would save some pennies and still allow you to enjoy the one race that is more important than everything else combined. ACO would turn you off if you were in any other class but they're desperate for P1 entries so that they'd probably allow anyone in in a heartbeat
Old 30 Apr 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3400109)   #454
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Are they desperate for p1? 9 lmp1 cars vs. what, 5 or 6 lmp2's? How many pro gte cars? Looks like lmp1 is the healthiest pro class in the wec! But thats not saying much if you look at the #'s. They're probably desperate for any entry, or should be imo.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 19:02 (Ref:3400111)   #455
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There is no lack of interest. The perrin programme is so ambitious that I would be surprised if it failed. This guys already have on their website that a new website is coming soon. Not to mention that they are taking a scale 1:1 model to Le Mans. I would say it is going very well for the series. I donĀ“t even think they expected this success. Not to mention all the new manufacturers that are interested and that will probably join soon. Enjoy the present for it is great!!
Old 30 Apr 2014, 20:12 (Ref:3400139)   #456
Deleted
Veteran

Perrin's not the first one to talk big but ultimately show nothing. I'll be delighted the day they mark their present on the entry list, but not before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Are they desperate for p1? 9 lmp1 cars vs. what, 5 or 6 lmp2's? How many pro gte cars? Looks like lmp1 is the healthiest pro class in the wec! But thats not saying much if you look at the #'s. They're probably desperate for any entry, or should be imo.
I was really talking more of P1 numbers at LM rather than series, 10x (or 9 depending on Lotus) is still one of the lowest for top category. Anyway priorising P1 over other classes must clearly be the priority, plus they want to prove the success of the rule package
Old 30 Apr 2014, 21:26 (Ref:3400159)   #457
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Perrin's not the first one to talk big but ultimately show nothing. I'll be delighted the day they mark their present on the entry list, but not before.

I was really talking more of P1 numbers at LM rather than series, 10x (or 9 depending on Lotus) is still one of the lowest for top category. Anyway priorising P1 over other classes must clearly be the priority, plus they want to prove the success of the rule package
There's a tradition to it - Matra in 1972 chose to test all year rather than race, other than the big one in June, and nobody really begrudges them that. I wonder how the ACO/FIA would react if big name but not manufacturer (e.g. Red Bull, McLaren or similar) announced they had a fully compliant P1 programme ready to go with headline drivers but they only wanted to do Le Mans - would their entry be smiled upon?

In fat years, when the WEC was well stocked with prototypes and there was a full suite of feeder series with P2s you can see them saying "non", but 2015 or 2016? Might be an interesting window of opportunity.

Would I applaud this? In some ways yes, but if it squeezed out Rebellion and other putative season long privateer LMP1s I'd be less impressed. I loved the early years of Group C when you had Sehcar, Cougar, and Rondeau along with Porsche, Ford, and Lancia, a lot of me wants to see that level of variety in the top level again.
Old 1 May 2014, 08:39 (Ref:3400259)   #458
Deleted
Veteran

The last time there was a category desperately short of entries to be filled was GT1 in 2010... no-one but Larbre wanted to commitment for anything else ACO related so you got 7 cars for Spa 1000km and 8 for Le Mans, 1 for all the rest (+Atlas eFX for some)

LAA did nothing else at all but those two races that year, JLOC did LM and Zhuhai 1000km (and probably something in Japan). The others at least were in FIA GT1

Current LMP1 isn't that desperative, however as I said headlining class is desired to be as strong as possible, even to extent of sacrificing other categories. Though, as you said, I'm not 100% certain privateer - especially poor one - would get in like that, but if Ferrari or Nissan said we only want to do Le Mans and nothing else ACO would obviously let them in.

Ferrari could circle around Fiorano and Paul Ricard for 11 months and still come relatively battle ready to Test Day
Old 1 May 2014, 08:45 (Ref:3400262)   #459
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
For any manufacturer to produce a competitive car and then only run it in one race is ridiculous they would want to show case it at other races and in the markets they are hoping to sell cars
Old 1 May 2014, 08:50 (Ref:3400265)   #460
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010-2011 GT1 situation more than work lmp1 looks like the nowadays private lmp1 situation. Too much expensive to use and poor interest of private teams. Solution is simple IMHO: just like the T129 (or the 2011/2012 zytek lmp1 and oak pescarolo 01), take an lmp2 chassis and put inside an lmp1 engine et voilĆ* private teams can use a very cheap lmp1 package.
Old 1 May 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3400271)   #461
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
For any manufacturer to produce a competitive car and then only run it in one race is ridiculous they would want to show case it at other races and in the markets they are hoping to sell cars
Maybe if WEC had more than one race going for (for non-diehard fans) and winning championship meant more than coming 3rd in that one race it I could agree with you

Now even events like Sebring and PLM are shadows in comparison to LM when it comes to public awareness, but in comparison to current WEC events they have the difference of Japanese Grand Prix and Japanese WTCC round... in attendance especially

Nissan has showed that with aggressive public relations campaign you can make the point just as well without actually doing much, same could be done for such Le Mans only P1 project
Old 1 May 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3400280)   #462
Deleted
Veteran

Factories taking a look
Old 1 May 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3400288)   #463
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Probably thinking why does their car look so good compared to ours
Old 1 May 2014, 10:41 (Ref:3400293)   #464
Deleted
Veteran

Had the same thought

Sounds miles better, too...
Old 1 May 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3400294)   #465
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
funny picture, hmm what are we going to do with this car...
Old 1 May 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3400304)   #466
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Another one.

I might be in the minority here - I don't actually think it looks any better or worse than the works P1s. They all look pretty similar. It will certainly sound a lot better, which maybe makes it more beautiful. Works for Scarlett Johansson.
Old 1 May 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3400305)   #467
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Will be tomorrow at 9am @ Eau Rouge to see it live
Old 1 May 2014, 11:32 (Ref:3400308)   #468
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

Another one.

I might be in the minority here - I don't actually think it looks any better or worse than the works P1s. They all look pretty similar. It will certainly sound a lot better, which maybe makes it more beautiful. Works for Scarlett Johansson.
I just noticed the Rebellion watches symbol as part of the headlight assembly for the first time in this picture.

Car looks fantastic!
Old 1 May 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3400315)   #469
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Full picture:

I like it. And it looks purposeful, hopefully it's as fast as it looks.
Old 1 May 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3400321)   #470
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It looks so awesome. For me the best form of the WEC possible would be one with only LMP1 and GTE pro. With entries of manufactures and excepcionally quality teams such as rebellion. Who needs lmp2 pfff boring. And with all the upcoming entries who knows. One can only daydream.
Old 1 May 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3400325)   #471
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Car looks similar to other new P1s to me, but it's got a slightly nicer paint scheme than the Audi and Toyota (and miles better than the Porsche!). If it's quick and sounds nice, who cares though?
Old 1 May 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3400326)   #472
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
It looks so awesome. For me the best form of the WEC possible would be one with only LMP1 and GTE pro. With entries of manufactures and excepcionally quality teams such as rebellion. Who needs lmp2 pfff boring. And with all the upcoming entries who knows. One can only daydream.
I might have said that previously, but after watching the ELMS race at Silverstone, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And the P2 battle at Le Mans last year was extremely good.
Old 1 May 2014, 12:09 (Ref:3400328)   #473
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Lots of interesting shots by Laurent Chauveau (endurance-info.com), including this one:

I am told that the Rebellion Racing logo will be illuminated at LM, but that this not currently the case on the Spa version.

And the side pods look definitely very low:

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 1 May 2014 at 12:18.
Old 1 May 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3400330)   #474
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will be giving Rebellion my full support. Can't help thinking it needs some better rims/wheels though.

I haven't really noticed the smaller wheels on the works cars. To me it seems pretty glaring on the R-One. Minor gripe though.
Old 1 May 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3400340)   #475
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the r1, it does seem a little more subdued than the factory cars.