Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Jan 2024, 09:05 (Ref:4193278)   #1276
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Silverstone security team is very small and it is 3rd party companies who are brought in by the event organisers are the people who you typically see around. Silverstone is also a much bigger site than any other circuit with lots of other interests around (other businesses, etc).

That is true, however you do not encounter their attitude if you walk around a trading estate, which in essence Silverstone has become with a racing track in the middle. I would suggest that if those businesses are concerned about their security, then it is up to them to ensure that their buildings and property are kept secure.
Old 25 Jan 2024, 11:03 (Ref:4193289)   #1277
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Silverstone security team is very small and it is 3rd party companies who are brought in by the event organisers are the people who you typically see around. Silverstone is also a much bigger site than any other circuit with lots of other interests around (other businesses, etc).
However go to Goodwood and one is greeted with nothing but politeness and helpfulness
Old 25 Jan 2024, 11:28 (Ref:4193293)   #1278
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
[UPDATES] Despite the season being nearly 3 months away, there have been a few announcements for competitors across the four main TOCA support series (PCCGB, F4, MINI JCW, Sprint Challenge) - some of which have already been discussed on here. We'll no doubt have some competitive grids once again.

There's definitely a few announcements I've missed, but these are the ones I remember coming across.

PCCGB:

Dan Lloyd - Toro Verde GT (Pro)
Jack Butel - Toro Verde GT (Pro-Am)
Hugo Ellis - Team Parker Racing (Pro)
Sid Smith - Team Parker Racing (Pro)
Stephen Jelley - Team Parker Racing (Pro) - racing Justin Sherwood's car, official reason for PCCGB due to a downturn in business in the house-building market and cost of BTCC drives. Not completely confirmed yet, but reported in Autosport 25.1.2024
James Wallis - JTR (Pro) - Porsche GB Junior for 2024/2025
Josh Stanton - JTR (Pro-Am)
Andrew Rackstraw - JTR (Pro-Am?) - former South African Global Touring Car Championship racer

British F4:

Rowan Campbell-Pilling (GBR) - Argenti
Yuanpu Cui (CHN) - Argenti
Bart Harrison (GBR) - Chris Dittmann Racing
Nina Pothof (NED) - Fortec
Mika Abrahams (RSA) - Hitech Pulse-Eight
Deagen Fairclough (GBR) - Hitech Pulse-Eight
Reza Seewooruthun (GBR) - Hitech Pulse-Eight
Chloe Chong (GBR) - JHR
Leo Robinson (ALG) - JHR
Alex Ninovic (AUS) - Rodin
Abbi Pulling (GBR) - Rodin
Jack Sherwood (GBR) - T.B.C.

Porsche Sprint Challenge GB:

Will Jenkins - Team Parker Racing (GT4 RS - Pro)
George Jaxon - JW Bird
Darelle Wilson - JW Bird

MINI JCW:

Max Hall - EXCELR8
Autosport magazine today reporting that Stephen Jelley will be racing for Team Parker Racing in Porsche Carrera Cup GB. He will likely be racing Justin Sherwood's car as Sherwood is supporting his son Jack's British F4 campaign.

From Autosport magazine - "the downturn in the house-building market, in which his family's business operates, has forced him to readjust his horizons."
Jelley quoted in Autosport magazine: "The BTCC [budget] figures are just so crazy these days at a time when the building industry, where a lot of my sponsors come from, is on its knees. I just have to keep responsible with my racing and offer the best value for money. I thought about whether stopping motorsport at this level was the thing for me, but I decided I'm a bit sad really and didn't want to! And I really wanted to drive again for a team that I've got such a long relationship with."

Last edited by SSmith; 25 Jan 2024 at 11:38.
Old 25 Jan 2024, 12:24 (Ref:4193298)   #1279
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems like Carrera Cup is becoming the BTCC retirement home this year!

Worrying again to hear it’s too expensive.
Old 25 Jan 2024, 12:29 (Ref:4193299)   #1280
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Seems like Carrera Cup is becoming the BTCC retirement home this year!

Worrying again to hear it’s too expensive.
Or just a justification- his long time Engineer retired after Brands Hatch - has hardly set the World on fire in BTCC Maybe its just time . Andrew Watson?
Old 25 Jan 2024, 12:47 (Ref:4193300)   #1281
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Or just a justification- his long time Engineer retired after Brands Hatch - has hardly set the World on fire in BTCC Maybe its just time . Andrew Watson?
Jelsons (Stephen Jelley's family business) is a large building company in our area. They have a new building estate very close to where I live and actually stopped building any more houses on there quite a while ago, laying off the relevant employees as the demand for new homes had dropped off. Maybe there's also an element of not wanting to be seen to be blatantly spending money on his BTCC hobby factored into the decision as well?
Old 25 Jan 2024, 12:47 (Ref:4193301)   #1282
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Speculation!* (While waiting for announcements)

With this 'exodus' to PCCGB (rather than TCR UK) I wonder how many other BTCC drivers from last season have looked at that route. And who would suit it? Also, does anybody have figures for what a season costs?

Bobby Thompson? If he can't get the backing for BTCC or GT (after his recent test) then would Porsche be a viable option? He'd be a race winner at least.

Crees? He looked far better in a GT car than a Tin Top, and his Supercup experience would count well.

DeLeon. Certainly has the backing (apparently) and was far better in the Porsche GT3 Cup car than any FWD he's raced.

Edwards? I have an inkling that TCR might be her next step or the Porsche Sprint Series, but would it be worth her looking in that direction?

If some of those went and joined Lloyd/Butel/Jelley then it's also good for BTCC for two reasons. First it bring some real interest to a support championship from BTCC only fans (even more so than havng DanCam there in 2021) and would halt those drivers looking at TCR. I don't think TCR is a threat to BTCC right now. I don't really think (as much as I enjoy it) it's a viable alternative if a load of drivers head there, but three years from now it could be a viable alternative, and the BTCC can't afford that!

Like I stated - speculation to fill the time!
Old 25 Jan 2024, 13:24 (Ref:4193308)   #1283
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing always has been and always will be expensive. The margins between 1st place and 10th have gotten even smaller in BTCC so you have to spend more if you want to be at the front - 'no stone can remain unturned'.

As for TCR - Lines has been vocal many times that it is a lower cost alternative to BTCC, not a direct replacement. The 2 championships can quite happy co-exist. Once they start to gather a bigger fan base, the commercial proposition becomes much better and therefore it becomes 'easier' to get sponsorship. Consistency in the format (ie headline act at meetings, along with the support races), consistency in the drivers and team along with close racing will naturally gather more supporters.
Old 25 Jan 2024, 14:02 (Ref:4193311)   #1284
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
*Speculation!* (While waiting for announcements)

With this 'exodus' to PCCGB (rather than TCR UK) I wonder how many other BTCC drivers from last season have looked at that route. And who would suit it? Also, does anybody have figures for what a season costs?

Bobby Thompson? If he can't get the backing for BTCC or GT (after his recent test) then would Porsche be a viable option? He'd be a race winner at least.

Crees? He looked far better in a GT car than a Tin Top, and his Supercup experience would count well.

DeLeon. Certainly has the backing (apparently) and was far better in the Porsche GT3 Cup car than any FWD he's raced.

Edwards? I have an inkling that TCR might be her next step or the Porsche Sprint Series, but would it be worth her looking in that direction?

If some of those went and joined Lloyd/Butel/Jelley then it's also good for BTCC for two reasons. First it bring some real interest to a support championship from BTCC only fans (even more so than havng DanCam there in 2021) and would halt those drivers looking at TCR. I don't think TCR is a threat to BTCC right now. I don't really think (as much as I enjoy it) it's a viable alternative if a load of drivers head there, but three years from now it could be a viable alternative, and the BTCC can't afford that!

Like I stated - speculation to fill the time!
It'll be interesting to see if anyone on here has an estimate for the cost of PCCGB - I always thought it was comparable in cost to the BTCC given how expensive a Porsche 992 GT3 Cup car is, but for teams who own cars (or are borrowing/loaning from someone who does) it seems it must be cheaper.

Given the amount of announcements made for the series already (including in the past hour or so, the first Am entry of the year - the very experienced GT racer Lee Mowle at Team Parker Racing), PCCGB seems in good health across Pro and Pro-Am and potentially Am as well. Entries were strong last year although tailed off towards the end. I wouldn't be surprised if there are around 26 entries at Donington Park in April.

I'd imagine a few drivers from the BTCC and other series would look at PCCGB. PCCGB offered prize money for the top 3 in Pro and in Pro-Am at every race which if still the case in 2024 would no doubt an incentive. Plus the cars are fast and reliable, drivers and sponsors can still be part of the wider TOCA/BTCC family and all that brings, and it can act as a springboard to other racing in the UK or globally.
Porsche are adding the new Cayman GT4 RS to Sprint Challenge this year (with a Pro and Am class) alongside the old-spec Cayman (again with a Pro and Am class) so there is probably going to be additional interest there, and this revamp is probably a good jumping on point for drivers new to that championship. Their season doesn't start until Snetterton in late-May.
Old 25 Jan 2024, 14:27 (Ref:4193316)   #1285
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Given the amount of announcements made for the series already (including in the past hour or so, the first Am entry of the year - the very experienced GT racer Lee Mowle at Team Parker Racing), PCCGB seems in good health across Pro and Pro-Am and potentially Am as well.
I was amazed to read that this would be Mowle's Porsche debut. With the amount of experience he has, I would have put money in him racing in PCC before.
Old 25 Jan 2024, 14:40 (Ref:4193317)   #1286
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do wonder how much of the lack of news is due to deals not being done, and how much is the championship/PR team having a far tighter grip on the news agenda this year and actively having a comms strategy for how these announcements will be released in the coming weeks/months.
Old 25 Jan 2024, 14:42 (Ref:4193318)   #1287
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I was amazed to read that this would be Mowle's Porsche debut. With the amount of experience he has, I would have put money in him racing in PCC before.
Exactly! I'm surprised its taken him so long to appear in PCCGB. In some respects its a shame Justin Sherwood likely isn't competing this year as I think that the Am class would be quite competitive between the two of them.
Old 25 Jan 2024, 20:03 (Ref:4193347)   #1288
cameronpoe
Rookie

cameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if anyone on here has an estimate for the cost of PCCGB - I always thought it was comparable in cost to the BTCC given how expensive a Porsche 992 GT3 Cup car is, but for teams who own cars (or are borrowing/loaning from someone who does) it seems it must be cheaper.

Given the amount of announcements made for the series already (including in the past hour or so, the first Am entry of the year - the very experienced GT racer Lee Mowle at Team Parker Racing), PCCGB seems in good health across Pro and Pro-Am and potentially Am as well. Entries were strong last year although tailed off towards the end. I wouldn't be surprised if there are around 26 entries at Donington Park in April.

I'd imagine a few drivers from the BTCC and other series would look at PCCGB. PCCGB offered prize money for the top 3 in Pro and in Pro-Am at every race which if still the case in 2024 would no doubt an incentive. Plus the cars are fast and reliable, drivers and sponsors can still be part of the wider TOCA/BTCC family and all that brings, and it can act as a springboard to other racing in the UK or globally.
Porsche are adding the new Cayman GT4 RS to Sprint Challenge this year (with a Pro and Am class) alongside the old-spec Cayman (again with a Pro and Am class) so there is probably going to be additional interest there, and this revamp is probably a good jumping on point for drivers new to that championship. Their season doesn't start until Snetterton in late-May.
PCCGB budgets are well north of £200K to do it properly , it was £160K back in 2015/16 however there was more races than now.

You have to factor Crash damage a bit as well , a lot of the AM drivers own the GT3 , Tom Oliphant owned his in PRO , ours was I believe owned by Tim Sugden who made the rental income , this is a good way to make more money than having the money sat in a bank as say you pay £180K for the car , you can charge the team £40000 rental a season so recovering around £160,000 , after the 4 year cycle you sell it for around £80-100K and you have a nice profit, it’s a really good racing series , probably best in World which is why it’s so popular ..

Supercup budgets are north of £600K for dual program of Supercup and German PCCGB , with Lechner it will be quite a bit more, however if they want you for the sponsored team then the numbers are really low and some drivers can get paid out of there careers.

If your fully sponsored and win a lot then PCCGB is good for sure.

On the BTCC guys then could be a good year to be in it if there aren’t many year two/three guys in it. Dan has 35 wins in PCCGB but one didn’t count as he was a guest .. so needs 1 or 2 to overtake Tim Harvey .. bit of an ambition that at some point before retirement he tries to get them 2..
Old 25 Jan 2024, 21:59 (Ref:4193361)   #1289
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
and how much is the championship/PR team having a far tighter grip on the news agenda this year and actively having a comms strategy for how these announcements will be released in the coming weeks/months.
The teams make these decisions, not TOCA.

However, TOCA are keen to work with the teams and will advise the best day/time to release an important piece of news, so that it doesn't clash with another announcement.
Old 26 Jan 2024, 15:02 (Ref:4193423)   #1290
mphplastering
Rookie

mphplastering should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ricky Collard Instagram post. Picture of him signing photos with caption all good things come to an end.
Leaving btcc?
Leaving Speedworks?
Wsr bound?
Old 26 Jan 2024, 15:05 (Ref:4193425)   #1291
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphplastering View Post
Ricky Collard Instagram post. Picture of him signing photos with caption all good things come to an end.
Leaving btcc?
Leaving Speedworks?
Wsr bound?
He was meant to leave for Australia last year wasn’t he? Perhaps a return to those plans, although it seems he has been strongly linked to the WSR seat.
Old 26 Jan 2024, 15:44 (Ref:4193428)   #1292
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Leaving btcc?
Leaving Speedworks?
Wsr bound?
Looking at it I would hazard a guess he's leaving Speedworks? Whether that's for WSR or something completely different who knows. I'd expect to know either way soon.
Old 26 Jan 2024, 16:34 (Ref:4193432)   #1293
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Leaving btcc?
Leaving Speedworks?
Wsr bound?
Speedworks. Huff, Cook, Butcher , Gamble? Just sayin
Old 26 Jan 2024, 16:34 (Ref:4193433)   #1294
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
There have been rumours that Speedworks would have an all new driver line-up, so not Collard leaving isn't a huge surprise.

I'm sure there will be a news flash flash flash flash flash flash flash when he has something to announce.
Old 26 Jan 2024, 20:10 (Ref:4193462)   #1295
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
There have been rumours that Speedworks would have an all new driver line-up, so not Collard leaving isn't a huge surprise.

I'm sure there will be a news flash flash flash flash flash flash flash when he has something to announce.
Old 26 Jan 2024, 21:54 (Ref:4193474)   #1296
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Speedworks. Huff, Cook, Butcher , Gamble? Just sayin
If Speedworks are going with an all new line up as has been rumoured, then I'd expect Butcher & Gamble to be replaced as well, possibly with Moffatt & Thompson.
Old 26 Jan 2024, 22:02 (Ref:4193475)   #1297
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not going to be many Jack Sears competitors with the departures we’ve seen already and the regular names in circulation for the remaining seats.
Old 26 Jan 2024, 23:18 (Ref:4193479)   #1298
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
If Speedworks are going with an all new line up as has been rumoured, then I'd expect Butcher & Gamble to be replaced as well, possibly with Moffatt & Thompson.

The lineup I've got in my head if it's all new is Watson and Huff as Toyota Gazoo Racing and Moffat and Bobby T as something like Euro Car Parts with Speedworks.

No idea where Butcher would go out of all this.
Old 27 Jan 2024, 08:03 (Ref:4193502)   #1299
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm gonna wait and see which other teams actually enter before speculating anymore. See who takes Moffat and Boardley's TBLs
Old 27 Jan 2024, 09:47 (Ref:4193510)   #1300
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Huff, Watson, Moffat, Cook is my prediction.