Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 22 Mar 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1258971)   #1
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Compact flash card problem

I'm guessing this has happened to others but is there anyway out of it...one of my 512mb cards has 2 duff frames half way through the card ie: they are somehow currupted. The 1st 60 frames or so are fine and the other 60 or so the other side of the problem frames are fine. The card reader scans but stops at the problem frame and freezes with error flashing on the camera (10D) and the card reader freezes also.
After a lot of swearing etc Iv'e managed to download the 1st 60 using the usual Canon software but cant retreive the ones after the corrupt 2 frames which I'm desperate to keep. Any ideas peeps on how to save those pictures without reformatting etc.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1258979)   #2
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can you delete the two corrupt frames individually on camera?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1258988)   #3
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No! Every time its gets to the problem frame it freezes the camera and it shuts off. Iv'e managed before to delete on the camera before with this problem but for some reason it won't let me do it this time.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1258994)   #4
A_R
Rookie

A_R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a similar problem with a CF card, but was using an external USB card reader rather than the camera to transfer files. I could copy the files before and after the dead frame from the drive in My Computer, and then just formatted the whole card afterwards. It's been fine since.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1259021)   #5
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Snapper can you see the files using windows explorer? If you are using a card reader then you should be able to see the card as a removable drive? And you should be able to copy off files from any location?

sorry just read A_R's reply and he has the same idea as me...

Last edited by Cougar; 22 Mar 2005 at 17:39.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1259038)   #6
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Iv'e done it! Using the usual Canon software I down loaded it through the normal card reader using"Copy pictures to a folder...." Every now and then it would time out and ask did I want to continue.

Pressing the continue button every 2 or 3 minutes it eventually read the whole card though it took about 8-10 minutes. Then ticked all images to copy except the corrupt 2 frames and it went through all ok and are now saved thank god!

I did think was there a way to transfer direct from the camera but was unsure-this would have been the best way but hadn't a clue how!!

Thanks eveyone for your imput as I would have tried anything in the end-unfortunately there were some great shots which I needed to send to the mags but ran out of time and had to pick others instead.

Cheers.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1259134)   #7
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
glad you got it sorted Baz.

I've still got a CF card sitting under my screen waiting for some kind of image recovery after getting corrupted by a sh*tty Jessops card reader (tip: never rename folders before they're off the card). On it are some cracking shots of Paris and a few cars scrambling about the Stade de France on a December evening...
Old 22 Mar 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1259292)   #8
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_gav
glad you got it sorted Baz.

I've still got a CF card sitting under my screen waiting for some kind of image recovery after getting corrupted by a sh*tty Jessops card reader (tip: never rename folders before they're off the card). On it are some cracking shots of Paris and a few cars scrambling about the Stade de France on a December evening...

don't worry about them mate...from what i was told only the official snapper got anywhere near close enough to actually confirm it was schumacher et al driving those dune buggy things!
Old 23 Mar 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1259402)   #9
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
my thoughts too when I saw it on the tele a while back, there seemed to be only one or two guys shooting from inside some of hte concrete blocks/wall. Logistically/physically, thelayout of the place was pretty limiting for having any sort of proper viewing/access by photographers.

gi_gav, re: image rescue software, with mac anyway, one can download lexar recovery software from their site. I had done some tests with their free "Image Rescue" stuff that comes when you buy a card, and it works. Recently got the 2.0 version of it, and while mac only, I may have kept the email from the Lexar guy with the links to the downloading page for it that may have pc versions. Can't remember, but send me a note if interested. I'm sure that there are much better/faster programs available, but this one will recover images fromformated cards, its slow, and if I remember, the file names get changed to weird long ones, and the raw files I think become tiffs. In any case, good to have around for that inevitable formating mistake that will happen one day.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1259605)   #10
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
kdr, once I get the images back I'll post a couple because they're not that bad at all! You can definitely see Schumi airborne in the buggy and Coulthard getting whupped in the Ferrari by Heikki Kovalainen. This was from the stands with my old 75-300 and the 10D.

djb, thanks for the tip and I'll drop you a PM later on. I've used the Sandisk image recovery software before (supplied with the Ultra 2 cards) and it didn't do the job - JPEGs recovered ok but all the RAW files were corrupt to the point where no RAW convertor (Canon's and aftermarket ones like C1 and Breezebrowser) is able to recognise them except as a tiny preview JPEG.