Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1247602)   #1
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen Factoid

This may need to be moved but as part of the commentary the very lovely and competent James Allen said this was the first all Italian front row since 1984 - and then did not say who it was - anyone here care to enlighten my wife ?
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1247611)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brazil 1984 - Elio de Angelis was on pole - Michele Alboreto was 2nd on the grid.

By coincidence it was also the first race of the season - neither driver went on to win the title.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 9 Mar 2005 at 12:11.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1247613)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whle we are on the subject - what other drivers from the same country have occupied the front row in the past.

Both Schumachers have (IIRC).
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1247617)   #4
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd be more than happy to enlighten your wife Jos, but what's that got to do with F1?

As for single nation front rows, I can't think of any recently - apart from the Schumachers. When ws the last time we had an all British front row? Did it ever happen with Coulthard & Hill?
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1247620)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its a possibilty that Senna and Piquet could have done it in '86. US Gp?

Mansell and Hill in france '94.

I can't think of anything else at this moment sorry! I'm mentally searching or race winners who are from the same country so I could have missed an obvious one...

Have Prost and Alsei ever shared the front row, In say 93?

edit: Clark and Stewart in the 60s?

Last edited by Hazza; 9 Mar 2005 at 12:27.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1247622)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Coulthard and Hill - 1995 Argentina.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1247623)   #7
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I contened that Coulthard is Scotish!

Hey! Did Mansell and Hill share the Australian GP front row in '94. Or was Schumacher in 2nd?
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1247626)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Prost and Arnoux shared the front row several times in the Renault turbo days - including British GP 1981.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1247627)   #9
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Scottish is still British! Just...
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1247628)   #10
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about all those Prost/Arnoux front rows when they were at Renault in 1981-82?
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1247629)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
I contened that Coulthard is Scotish!

Hey! Did Mansell and Hill share the Australian GP front row in '94. Or was Schumacher in 2nd?
It was France 1984 where they shared the front row.

In Australia it was Schumacher 2nd on the grid, Hill was third.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1247631)   #12
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Yeah I mentioned that I just couldn't be bothered to walk upstairs to get my Autocourse to see if they did it in Adelaide also

Last edited by Hazza; 9 Mar 2005 at 12:39.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1247636)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Here's a Brazilian one for you.

Senna and Piquet - European GP 1985
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1247637)   #14
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The great British drivers of the 60s will have been on the front row together a lot. Fangio and Gonzalez peraps in the early days, or Farina/Ascari/Fagioli? Schumacher beat Frentzen to pole in France 1997 (probably the last one-nation front row), but I don't think Frentzen and Ralf have shared it.

We've got pairings from quite a few countries - what about New Zealand - any 2 of Hulme, Amon and McLaren? Or Peterson and Nilsson for Sweden?
Old 9 Mar 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1247651)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Nilsson and Peterson didn't as far as I can make out - the closest they came was some 2nd row starts together.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1247740)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
France 1997 was a German 1-2-3 - Ralf was 3rd in the Jordan. I suspect that's the only time any country other than the UK has swept the first 3 races (not counting the Indy 500s, of course).
Old 9 Mar 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1247747)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
There's a challenge for our stat fans!

Last edited by Super Tourer; 9 Mar 2005 at 14:39.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1247771)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre
This may need to be moved but as part of the commentary the very lovely and competent James Allen said this was the first all Italian front row since 1984 - and then did not say who it was - anyone here care to enlighten my wife ?
I haven't seen the race yet - who was on the front row with Fisi? Is there another Italian racing in F1? Oo-er...I'm losing my mojo out here in Germany.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1247794)   #19
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
Here's a clue : he drives for a German based team with a German team mate - good luck trying to find your mojo.........actually thinking about it good luck to this team trying to find their collective mojos too

Last edited by josvandeperre; 9 Mar 2005 at 15:33.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1247798)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah, that Jarno bloke. Forgot about him since he went off chasing paychecks.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1247831)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Scottish is still British! Just...

It has no plans to be anything else!
Old 9 Mar 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1247890)   #22
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
It has no plans to be anything else!
Hey this is my thread and I'll not have it hijacked by politics unless I can have the final comment and say the reply is : as long as the southerners keep paying for it
Old 9 Mar 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1247892)   #23
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire