Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Feb 2002, 02:51 (Ref:209328)   #1
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What version of Silverstone is the best?

What version of Silverstone do you like most and would like to see driven on for the BTCC? The current International circuit, the shorter National circuit, or the full Grand Prix circuit?

Personally I like the National circuit as it was always fast and exciting to watch, especially with the old version of Copse (the 90 degree corner) when everyone would fly over the kerbs. The older version of Copse (the faster, bumpier version) was always spectacular too but too unsafe. The GP circuit would be tough for today's cars as they're down on power and thus would take forever to get around the track unless they took away the chicane at Abbey (which would be great).
Old 3 Feb 2002, 08:34 (Ref:209421)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leaving aside the fact I think Silverstone is one of the dullest places to spectate at, I've got to say the International circuit. I've not really got an opinion about the National circuit, take it or leave it. I think that when you're actually at the track the GP circuit is too long and it seems to take an age for the cars to arrive round wherever you're watching from.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 10:00 (Ref:209447)   #3
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's the International track. With the 3 s-bends all together, that was the Island chicane.

Silverstone isn't that dull, it's prodeced great races, 1998 final round, 1992 final race, I like the racing from rounds 3&4 in '97 and the final rounds '99. Almost forgot this years races in daylight, where Plato took Muller off.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 14:33 (Ref:209586)   #4
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the Stowe Circuit? :confused:

I find that the best racing used to be on the old National Circuit which kept all the cars close together.
The GP Curcuit is just far too long for anything other than the F1's (especially the Fiesta's!! )
Old 3 Feb 2002, 15:13 (Ref:209610)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
From a spectator point of view I like Stowe/Club as you can get a pretty good view of things, the downside is that the GP layout is hopeless for anything sub-F1. The ETCC there last year was dire and even the GTs weren't exactly brilliant.

National layout is ok but there's a fair amount which is out of view for spectators. You can't really get close to the Club(?) Straight.

I'd go for the International. Abbey is always a good laugh.

That said I'd also agree with Carrie, it's not the worlds most exciting place reagrdless of layout.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 15:23 (Ref:209618)   #6
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Thanks for the opinions.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 22:16 (Ref:209846)   #7
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the International is probably the best! I have only ever seen racing on the national circuit, but hasn't got the best spectator access, and the GP circuit is too long. BTCC on the Stowe circuit......well, maybe one day!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 11:29 (Ref:210017)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't mind seeing them have a go on the GP circuit, and i have always been a fan of the national circuit. Maybe have one round on the national circuit and one on the international circuit, and i think Richard West also wants to get back on the GP supports doesn't he, meaning one on the GP circuit also.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 12:18 (Ref:210053)   #9
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going through the exit and out towards the A43 is the bit I really look forward to. It is so unimaginative and has zero atmosphere but if I had to go with one then the national. Purely for the view from ths stands at Woodcote looking across head on to the Club straight. I wish they could give us the old national circuit back - long, long, long club straight leading into that wonderful right hand hairpin at Woodcote and back across the line. That was the best lay-out.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 22:30 (Ref:210390)   #10
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Well said, Jonny. I do agree, it was more exciting, especially Copse corner and the run to Maggots!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 22:30 (Ref:210392)   #11
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Apex
Going through the exit and out towards the A43 is the bit I really look forward to. It is so unimaginative and has zero atmosphere but if I had to go with one then the national. Purely for the view from ths stands at Woodcote looking across head on to the Club straight. I wish they could give us the old national circuit back - long, long, long club straight leading into that wonderful right hand hairpin at Woodcote and back across the line. That was the best lay-out.
Those were the days! God I'm starting to get old