Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 21 Mar 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2850829)   #1026
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Who is George and how did he come about these photos?
Old 21 Mar 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2850830)   #1027
BMWHog
Rookie

BMWHog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wishes that Audi would sign away loic duval to race with Andre lotterer and benoit treluyer.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2850842)   #1028
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Who is George and how did he come about these photos?
George Achorn of fourtidude/vwvortex has good connections with Audi NA and Audi Sport.

BTW more pictures will probably show up, because George wrote on facebook:
Quote:
More video and photos to come. We're out here with AoA shooting today. Some British press here also... spotted DailySportscarGuys out near turn 3.

Last edited by gwyllion; 21 Mar 2011 at 22:31.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2850856)   #1029
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I found some more (low quality) pictures of the R18: http://yfrog.com/user/Audi/photos

As you can see on http://a.yfrog.com/img614/6323/65622688.jpg Audi is indeed using a reflective paint/sticker on the roof (to cool down the cockpit). The drivers will have very limited view through the side windows.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2850866)   #1030
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I also noticed that the front end is different between the fenders and nose. They've done away with the small wing parts and now have just smooth panels
Old 22 Mar 2011, 00:59 (Ref:2850917)   #1031
rabbit_racer
Rookie

United States
Washington, DC
rabbit_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
George Achorn of fourtidude/vwvortex has good connections with Audi NA and Audi Sport.

BTW more pictures will probably show up, because George wrote on facebook:
Yeah, George stayed after the race from what he was saying. Believe DSC was there as well possibly(?) and others to watch the test.

I'll be interested to see what he has to say or can say about the test. I'm curious to lap times IF..IF he was able to quietly do that. Probably doubtful on that one.

Sorry..LONG-time lurker.

BTW the website is fourtitude.com. It's everything Audi and George knows a LOT about everything Audi. VWvortex is everything VW. I'll see once he gets back from Sebring if he can post any info up when he comes up for air.

Can't believe how quiet the cars are in that video.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 05:23 (Ref:2850974)   #1032
TerribleWone
Rookie

TerribleWone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like there is also some revisions to the dodywork following the front wheel..
Old 22 Mar 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2851138)   #1033
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverOne View Post
Funny, both cars have number 1 on their nose

BTW high resolution pictures of the Sebring test are supposed to appear on flickr later today: http://twitter.com/Audi/status/49855755909726208
Old 22 Mar 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2851169)   #1034
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Sounds like a mix of the R10's V12 and a really muffled Porsche boxer 6.

Of course, that leads to one detail that we don't know, but at least the V6 is about half the R10's V12 as far as mass and length. Of course, cylinder angle and turbocharger/induction configuration isn't known.

Anyone know or is able to guess why the fin/wing mount has been raised? ACO request or advice, or something that Audi have found, or a bit of both?
Old 22 Mar 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2851190)   #1035
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
After reading article 3.6.4 of the 2011 rules, I think that the previous solution was legal.
Quote:
The top edge must be straight and situated between 920mm and 1030mm above the reference plane.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2851206)   #1036
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It also appears in the front end photo that the front diffuser is either entirely carbon or is at least entirely skinned in carbon.

The changes to the panels between the nose box and the front fenders seems to be maybe an LM/low drag oriented feature.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2851208)   #1037
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
It also appears in the front end photo that the front diffuser is either entirely carbon or is at least entirely skinned in carbon.
On the pictures of the previous Sebring test, it was also black.
Quote:
The changes to the panels between the nose box and the front fenders seems to be maybe an LM/low drag oriented feature.
Looking at http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch11.html the angle of the panel seems steeper. So I would say the opposite: more downforce.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2851224)   #1038
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was reading an article somewhere in the past 2 or 3 days that said Audi is planning to run in ALMS in 2012, but I can't find that article anywhere now. Has anybody else seen this, or am I remembering something incorrectly?
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2851228)   #1039
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
am I remembering something incorrectly?
Audi AG had hoped to run this year, but Audi NA don't see the value in spending the money, and there is no significant catalyst, to change that thinking.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:37 (Ref:2851240)   #1040
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Audi AG had hoped to run this year, but Audi NA don't see the value in spending the money, and there is no significant catalyst, to change that thinking.
yah, but I thought I read this literally in the past 2 days specifically about 2012. However, this could be one of those crazy things that I dreamt after watching 12 hours of racing on Saturday! That is why I was asking if anybody else saw it.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2851245)   #1041
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Maybe you read an earlier post in this thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...27#post2850527
Old 22 Mar 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2851248)   #1042
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Maybe you read an earlier post in this thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...27#post2850527
That would be it, thanks gwyllion! The quote was "hopes" to race in the ALMS, so I guess I shouldn't get too excited. They "hoped" for this season as well.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2851273)   #1043
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Audi Sport boss Wolfgang Ullirch on Wind Tunnel said that he hopes that Audi can run in the ALMS possibly next year, and that they've been trying to find an American driver for their programs the past few years in case Audi tries to get back in the ALMS full time. So Herr Ullrich still has plenty of connections in North America.

But that's a case for the future. Anyone know if Audi of America/Audi Sport have released their photos yet, or if Fourtitude has released their photos or more videos?
Old 22 Mar 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2851276)   #1044
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Audi Sport boss Wolfgang Ullirch on Wind Tunnel said that he hopes that Audi can run in the ALMS possibly next year, and that they've been trying to find an American driver for their programs the past few years in case Audi tries to get back in the ALMS full time. So Herr Ullrich still has plenty of connections in North America.
Still has plenty of connections in North America? Of course he does.

Audi tried to get back this year, Audi NA has no interest in spending the dollars. Ullrich can say all he wants, but until Audi NA feels there is value, the probability is very low.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2851286)   #1045
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
But that's a case for the future. Anyone know if Audi of America/Audi Sport have released their photos yet, or if Fourtitude has released their photos or more videos?
On facebook George wrote that he is still travelling home from Sebring. I guess we will have to wait a bit longer...
Old 22 Mar 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2851289)   #1046
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crikey, that thing looks ridiculous from the side. All these new LMPs do.

ACO finding yet more ways to prevent people getting into sportscars.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2851311)   #1047
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
On facebook George wrote that he is still travelling home from Sebring. I guess we will have to wait a bit longer...
Some Audi twitter thing mentioned in this tread said that Audi of America would release photos from the test this morning. I've checked their Flickr page, and have come up empty thus far.

I wonder if George will even do a write up about the R18?
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2851314)   #1048
MihokS5
Racer

Quote:
Some Audi twitter thing mentioned in this tread said that Audi of America would release photos from the test this morning. I've checked their Flickr page, and have come up empty thus far.

I wonder if George will even do a write up about the R18?
I will text him and find out
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2851322)   #1049
MihokS5
Racer

George said he will have a full write up so hang in there!
Old 22 Mar 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2851354)   #1050
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I only doubted that George would have a write up because of how secretive Audi has been until very recently, and they're still regarding the R18 with quite a bit of secrecy.

I'm only waiting for AoA to release their photos, since they and Audi Sport has photo personel at Sebring as well.