Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Mar 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2851365)   #1051
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I'm only waiting for AoA to release their photos, since they and Audi Sport has photo personel at Sebring as well.
If you look on http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiusa/ you will see that some of these pictures are taken by independent photographers, for instance Johnny Petrina of Quattroworld. So perhaps they will just repost the pictures of George Achorn...
Old 22 Mar 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2851376)   #1052
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
They also have the Audi Sport Press photos of the R18 presentation and January test, and George said that some of the photographers were from Audi of America and Audi Sport.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2851407)   #1053
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
gwyllion, have you come across any other pics? I can't find ANY and i'm getting impatient haha
Old 23 Mar 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2851808)   #1054
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
George wasn't the only guy who snagged photos and video of the R18s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZXwd9colDs

Bill from the video reports that the R18s ran consistant 1:47s, which the Audi R15s and neither variant of the 908 couldn't run consistantly (granted, Audi had the track to themselves, the 908's pole time was a 1:46.6 and a 908 ran a 1:47.6 and a R15 ran a 1:47.9 last Monday) and those times were close to the Pug's pole time, with an aero package that may or may not be entirely what Audi would run at Sebring (see below).

Also, the R18s have grown some louvers on the engine cover below the fin, possibly to extract heat away from the turbochargers.

I also like the way that Audi did the silver reflective decal treatment--makes the car look like a supercar coupe from the future in side profile.

It also seemed that the from the rear at least that the R18s were in low downforce configuration and have grown added tail lights in the "cheese wedges" that follow the outside contours of them.

Last edited by chernaudi; 23 Mar 2011 at 12:21.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2851816)   #1055
MihokS5
Racer

Great find chernaudi!
Old 23 Mar 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2851832)   #1056
fabian eeckhout
Rookie

fabian eeckhout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still the question is are these changes to the audi made by the aco or are audi still experimenting with new aeroparts. and if that is the case isn't that already very late too make these changes, its only 3 months till le mans.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2851833)   #1057
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Also, the R18s have grown some louvers on the engine cover below the fin, possibly to extract heat away from the turbochargers.
This suggests that they had overheating issues with the debut version.

Are this flames coming out of the back? That is not supposed to happen with a diesel engine

Some encouraging news from the fourtitude facebook:
Quote:
We'll be catching up on news today having been out of the offices in Sebring for the 12 Hours and the R18 test.

Last edited by gwyllion; 23 Mar 2011 at 13:10.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2851838)   #1058
MihokS5
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
This suggests that they had overheating issues with the debut version.

Are this flames coming out of the back? That is not supposed to happen with a diesel engine
Where do you see flames? In the video footage or stills?
Old 23 Mar 2011, 13:12 (Ref:2851839)   #1059
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihokS5 View Post
Where do you see flames? In the video footage or stills?
Click on the link. It jumps the youtube video to 0:36. Anyway, I think my eyes are misleading me
Old 23 Mar 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2851842)   #1060
MihokS5
Racer

You must mean the dirt in the backround at the edge of the track
Old 23 Mar 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2851849)   #1061
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Only thing I see behind the car is the dirt on the inside of the curb, which does appear to be of differing colors.

And for the engine vents, that seems to again point towards the R18's rumored "turbos in the V" induction arrangement. It also seems to be a "better safe than sorry" arrangment, because James reported that there were a couple of very brief occasions during the January test that the engines for short periods of time weren't running smoothly.

My father had a turbochaged 2.3 Ford Pinto inline 4 in a Ford Ranger that would overheat and the ECU would try and kill the engine or put it in a limp home/default mode (it also didn't help that he changed the turbo from the standard Rotomaster to a larger Garrett--the engine was in a Ford T-bird Turbe Coupe orginally). In a new truck with that engine in it, it has a larger intercooler, larger radiator, and twin electric fans.

Even if the turbo's themselves weren't causing issues, with them being in the engine's V, they're still close to electronics and maybe the heat was messing with the electronics until they cooled. Again, better safe than sorry seems to be the apporach here.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2851859)   #1062
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
You consistently talk about turbos. I fail to see the advantage in swapping the intake and exhaust but still using one (small) turbocharger per cilinder bank. I still bet on a single VTG turbo.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2852042)   #1063
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_6695.shtml has another picture of the R18. I hope it will not be long before George will put all his pictures of the test online...
Old 23 Mar 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2852047)   #1064
MihokS5
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_6695.shtml has another picture of the R18. I hope it will not be long before George will put all his pictures of the test online...
I just saw that too. I'm getting so impatient already
Old 24 Mar 2011, 00:17 (Ref:2852206)   #1065
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
44 high resolution photos of the Sebring test on http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiusa...7626335484102/
Old 24 Mar 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2852212)   #1066
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Audi is using a new front fender solution: http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiusa...n/photostream/

BTW I love the look of the R18 from this angle: http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiusa...n/photostream/
Old 24 Mar 2011, 01:24 (Ref:2852223)   #1067
MihokS5
Racer

Thanks for the find gwyllion. Great stuff!
Old 24 Mar 2011, 01:54 (Ref:2852230)   #1068
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quite a few changes. See the site for details.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2852312)   #1069
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Very interesting developments.

Cheers Mike!
Old 24 Mar 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2852410)   #1070
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Only things I'm wondering about are the vents in the rear fender extensions on the rear deck that are covered--mantainance hatches or some type of supplmental intake that Audi has tested (like possibly at the front of the car) but aren't now using?

And there's that hole in the front fenders behind the headlight cluster. I could say that it's some type of aero device, but with it being so small, that's unlikely. It could be an apature for adjusting the lights without removing the nose from the car, but we also must remember that the R18 is running with all LED headlights, so it could be a cooling vent.

And the airbox intake has a collared extenstion like what McLaren are using on the current F1 car, and the only advantage I see with it is syphoning off excess air to encourage more airflow into the intake by speeding up the syphoned off air.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 11:52 (Ref:2852418)   #1071
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi is really preparing themselves with all details.

Comparing to Peugeot the R18 is very much elaborated.

I think that Acura is between the two(AUDI and PEUGEOT), in terms of details.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2852421)   #1072
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post

Hello, Mike.

I am at any time to ask you a question about R 18.

why the Audi has the nose of the car as wide compared to other cars?

Aerodynamic, or other reason?
Old 24 Mar 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2852423)   #1073
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The louvers on the front wheels might be a pretty smart design, I can't see how these can be blown out by tire debris, and considering that this might have cost Peugeot the win at Sebring this might be really helpful at LM.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2852432)   #1074
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Tire debris isn't as brutal at Le Mans as it can be at Sebring or Road Atlanta--just look at the Champion Racing R8s from '03-05--Road Atlanta was nasty as far as tire debris, but again, if they can't be blown out and can also produce some good areo figures, more power to Audi. Even the 908's LM aero is conservative compared to this setup, which appears to be almost an LM package so far, as the front fenders still have attachment points for larger/more numerous diveplanes.

Also, in the few front end photos at Flickr, it seems that the front diffuser has changed slightly, and not just the outboard section that's been shaved down--it looks like it might have an extension that takes the "humped" sections back to the front wheel centerline, or it could be something else entirely or an illusion, as the photo isn't close up.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2852553)   #1075
MihokS5
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Hello, Mike.

I am at any time to ask you a question about R 18.

why the Audi has the nose of the car as wide compared to other cars?

Aerodynamic, or other reason?
I wonder the same thing. Can you shed some light Mike?