Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 31 Dec 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1492550)   #1
breezeblock
Rookie

Scotland
stirlingshire
breezeblock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kpi camber caster & toe

i am going to build my own front uprights and wishbones what is the optimum kpi camber caster & toe that i should use it is going to be a double wishbone set up along kinda cortina lines
Old 31 Dec 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1492573)   #2
bugs
Rookie

Guernsey
gy
bugs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
????
Old 31 Dec 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1492631)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock
i am going to build my own front uprights and wishbones what is the optimum kpi camber caster & toe that i should use it is going to be a double wishbone set up along kinda cortina lines
Will it handle like a Cortina then?

Hope not...
Old 1 Jan 2006, 01:27 (Ref:1492700)   #4
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
measure up the"kinda cortina"specs,then build something with ample adjustment available to camber and caster so you can experiment. The kpi should be such that the center of your tyre contact patch on the road is not very far outside a line down thru the centre of your two outer ball joints.Dont forget to get the Ackerman angle right if you are fabricating the steering as well...read a few books, there's some tricky geometry in there that took big car manufacturers years to explore.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1492780)   #5
breezeblock
Rookie

Scotland
stirlingshire
The only one i cant make adjustable is the kpi the cortina has a kpi 7-8 I was recomended to use no less than 5 This gives a scrub radius of 50mm the position of the top and bottom ball joints on the cortina uprights gave me 100mm and the steering was very heavy The size of the brake disc prevents me from getting the kpi line right on the centreline of the wheel
Old 1 Jan 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1493031)   #6
Goran Malmberg
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm Sweden
Goran Malmberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The only one i cant make adjustable is the kpi the cortina has a kpi 7-8 I was recomended to use no less than 5 This gives a scrub radius of 50mm the position of the top and bottom ball joints on the cortina uprights gave me 100mm and the steering was very heavy The size of the brake disc prevents me from getting the kpi line right on the centreline of the wheel
This is one very complex question where the solution is limited by practical and economical factors. As you point out yourself, the disc is setting a limit for scrub. Well, you have to use a more positive offset wheel to get the spindle and brake equipment inside the wheel. You say you are going to fabricate your own spindles and A-arms, then this operation is possible to relize. You may even be able to use less that 5 dgr spindle to kpi angle with reasonable scrub.
KPI creates steering lift, either way the wheel is turned, and it also creates positive camber on the outer wheel during turns, which we do not want. Some drivers prefer a small amount scrub for steering feel.
If you are fabricating your own spindles, you may take a close look at where to possition the steering arm in order to get a good bumpsteer.
Also the Ackermann angle has to be thought of.

Goran Malmberg
Old 5 Jan 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1495799)   #7
breezeblock
Rookie

Scotland
stirlingshire
what would be the consequences if i used 0 kpi
Old 6 Jan 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1496031)   #8
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
what would be the consequences if i used 0 kpi
You'd get no positive camber with steer, this would generally be a good thing. Problem is I'd be surprised if you could achieve zero KPI without an excessive scrub radius. I would suggest that the advantages of zero KPI would then be lost to excessive steering weight and kickback.

Ben