Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Apr 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3389733)   #26
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
James,
In your HRS race, what happened to the De Tomaso and Adam Simmonds Mustang. I listened to the live MST commentary on the web and they both disappeared off the lapcharts on the same lap ?

Congratulations on the result and see you at Thruxton.
Thanks !
Nick
Nothing untoward ...

Adam's Mustang died on the run down through Craner Curves and he coasted to a stop opposite the bridge ... something electrical, he needs to investigate.

Mike's De Tomaso died at Mcleans, but clearly coasted to the top of the hill before running out of steam completely ... leaving some poor marshals a long old push of a heavy car on grass for quite a distance until they got it to a safe spot ...! Took at least two of my laps for them to clear it. Paddock gossip says he ran out of fuel, but there was still a few laps left to run ... I didn't see him after the race.

James
Old 7 Apr 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3389735)   #27
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Sorry but only got this start line pic.
Great photo Peter ... it does show the nice variety of cars in HRS (well after the leading cohort of Elans has disappeared!)
Old 7 Apr 2014, 12:35 (Ref:3389736)   #28
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Looking at the results I notice a car was excluded from Guards under reg 14.4.4 - was this the first casualty of track limit enforcement?
Someone else got a time penalty added too - One of the Cortinas in HTC.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3389756)   #29
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon & James,
Thanks for the update on Mike and Adam .... pre-season woes !

On the Live Commentary feed on the web, the man with the mic noted quite a few race-number warning flags about track-edge misdemeanours ... I can see these being a feature of the 2014 Season as we all expected.
Nick
Old 7 Apr 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3389790)   #30
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great mix of cars - this was a really good season opener for the HSCC and how the rain stayed away for the racing I don't understand.

I was in my Elan (#8) for Guards and had a splendid time. Only blemish was when I turned into the chicane while passing an E-type and received a hefty tap on the back wheel from a G16 (sorry George, didn't see you) trying to come up the inside. I lost 10-15 seconds reversing out of the gravel i'd been spun in to.

However, it was a busy day as my exhaust manifold ruptured during qualifying - it is several hours of work to wrestle the manifold off an Elan and back on again. Many thanks to John Smirthwaite and Jason who took it back to his engine shop and repaired it in time for the race.

But roof stayed on, nothing fell off the car, and we finished 3rd in the GT's just a few seconds behind the two mighty Griffiths of Whitaker and Brooks.

Exclusion of car 16 (Chevron B8) is related to reg Q14.4.4 - which itself relates to not keeping ones car on the track.

Roll on Thruxton.

Paul
Old 7 Apr 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3389823)   #31
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Simon & James,
Thanks for the update on Mike and Adam .... pre-season woes !

On the Live Commentary feed on the web, the man with the mic noted quite a few race-number warning flags about track-edge misdemeanours ... I can see these being a feature of the 2014 Season as we all expected.
Nick
Nick,

I thought you were entered for this one. Hope nothing too untoward pevented you attending.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3389883)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Formula Juniors were good value for money once more.

Mr. Methley did a bit of a runner to the flag but behind him fortunes fluctuated and second was in doubt through most of the race. Even those who looked like they may have got away and created some free air found themselves back in a 4 or 5 way battle involving some very regular winners.

That seemed to be repeated through the field. No wonder the grid was oversubscribed.

Westie Mitchell missed out on front running but the first outing for the lovely little De Tomaso, which looked superb in the metal, seemed promising despite a late race DNF.
Attached Thumbnails
750Px_Web_750_96_HSCC_Donington_20140406_ONED9227.jpg   750Px_Web_750_96_HSCC_Donington_20140406_ONED9312.jpg   750Px_Web_750_96_HSCC_Donington_20140406_ONED9316.jpg  

750Px_Web_750_96_HSCC_Donington_20140406_ONED9334.jpg   750Px_Web_750_96_HSCC_Donington_20140406_ONED9348.jpg   750Px_Web_750_96_HSCC_Donington_20140406_ONED9353.jpg  

Old 7 Apr 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3389898)   #33
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grant,
I had to scratch due to a last-minute hitch in the engine rebuild ... no-one's fault, just too many people in the queue .... good machinists are chokka with work at the beginning of the season.

However, I will be at Thruxton sporting an engine rebuilt for the first time in 12 years according to the paperwork that came with the car. Yippee ! and hope to see you there : if not, perhaps at Snetterton or Croft ?
Nick
Old 7 Apr 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3389909)   #34
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Grant,
I had to scratch due to a last-minute hitch in the engine rebuild ... no-one's fault, just too many people in the queue .... good machinists are chokka with work at the beginning of the season.

However, I will be at Thruxton sporting an engine rebuilt for the first time in 12 years according to the paperwork that came with the car. Yippee ! and hope to see you there : if not, perhaps at Snetterton or Croft ?
Nick
Ah! Good to hear it was nothing worse. I have heard of others whose season will start later than they had hoped for similar reasons.

On another positive note after a time of disappointment the estate preparation at Donington seems to be making an impression.

In addition to the Formula E HQ development next to the paddock entrance the perimeter road from there to the Exhibition centre and the other side of the EC towards the Museum has been rebuilt with some lovely smooth tarmac. A very welcome development I would say.

If that's the way things are to go once the infield redevelopment and the Formula E campus are complete it should make for a great facility once more.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3390083)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Aided and abetted by people who put their cars away in September and don't start the following years prep until February!!!

(I'm guilty, I didn't touch my wreck until December so its unlikely to race this year)

Quote:
Grant,
I had to scratch due to a last-minute hitch in the engine rebuild ... no-one's fault, just too many people in the queue .... good machinists are chokka with work at the beginning of the season.Nick