Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Feb 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3369377)   #51
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
On this occasion I wonder if they have mis-read the market slightly......
Just a little! If it was the standard sort of fee £15 to £20 I may well have gone but not at these prices sorry.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 21:13 (Ref:3369465)   #52
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do we keeping knocking a great idea to see some classic cars on display, yet again it is the English mentality of putting our heroes on pedestals and knocking them down again, heh at least's give it a chance and stop whinging - please.

Bladders...
Old 17 Feb 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3369498)   #53
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
Why do we keeping knocking a great idea to see some classic cars on display, yet again it is the English mentality of putting our heroes on pedestals and knocking them down again, heh at least's give it a chance and stop whinging - please.

Bladders...

I think I will wait for the Revival.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3369527)   #54
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post

Bladders...
If a tree falls in a forest and there's no-one there to hear it does it make a noise? If classic cars are paraded but no-one is able to see them is it a display?

Bladders you have missed the point. Most contributors here agree it will be a brilliant, awesome race meeting. The comments are mostly aimed at the barriers to spectating - GRRC membership, possession of the requisite sized wallet etc.

Last year I went to the Thruxton Easter Meeting and it was a brilliant, awesome race meeting. It was also bleedin' freezin' and hardly anyone was there which rather spoiled the atmosphere. This was despite only a £12 charge on the gate.

I'd love to go and watch racing at Goodwood without the fancy dress of the Revival but it seems there is the perfect storm of potentially awful weather, being out of my price bracket and anyway I'm not invited! So we are not knocking the event but knocking the fact we can't go to see them...

Last edited by midgetman; 18 Feb 2014 at 00:27. Reason: Even I didn't understand what I'd written
Old 18 Feb 2014, 07:04 (Ref:3369579)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Bladders you have missed the point. Most contributors here agree it will be a brilliant, awesome race meeting. The comments are mostly aimed at the barriers to spectating...
Old 18 Feb 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3369780)   #56
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes it is expensive but I am confident the show will be spectacular. Good spread of races and cars along with the usual Goodwood magic..
Difficult to compare with Thruxton where its pure racing with no side shows. Hopefully I shall enjoy both for what they are...
Old 18 Feb 2014, 17:36 (Ref:3369796)   #57
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
yes it is expensive but I am confident the show will be spectacular. Good spread of races and cars along with the usual Goodwood magic..
Difficult to compare with Thruxton where its pure racing with no side shows. Hopefully I shall enjoy both for what they are...

If you are racing at the event it is a different matter. The guys making their observations on cost are doing so as pure spectators, not competitors or GRRC members. I assume included with your entry fee are some personnel passes anyway, for your team......

Old 18 Feb 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3369803)   #58
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mike, this meeting (unlike the Revival) had an entry fee so I can only think that Goodwood always assumed that spectators and sponsors would not cover the costs as they do at the Revival.
Goodwood normally read the market well and exceed expectations so I am pretty relaxed that it will be a good show. Thruxton will be what it is - a very good HSCC meeting with no frillls
Old 18 Feb 2014, 18:50 (Ref:3369816)   #59
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's an easy guess.

If it makes money it will continue.

If it impinges on the success of FOS or Revival it will stop.

It is important the Goodwood gang do not overuse their property.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3370031)   #60
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would rather race at Thruxton than Goodwood any day if we are talking purely track layout not the rest of the hype. I am so interested to see the outcome of this race and comparing times to those in period, I think it will be most enlightening!
Old 19 Feb 2014, 16:14 (Ref:3370117)   #61
simon drabble
Veteran

Al - Thruxton was modelled on Goodwood so not sure why you would be so against Goodwood as a track. Out of interest when did you last put a race car through its paces at Goodwood...
Old 19 Feb 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3370208)   #62
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I have been round there a few times I have taken both my Camaros round there and they were tested by both Art Marcos of CC & C and Mark Hales tested the later model one for the same mag. Also took one of the guys Manta's round there (nice car) and believe a full house Fiesta, all back in the 90's. BTW I am not against it as such its just all the hype that goes with it I dont understand.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 19 Feb 2014 at 22:55.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3370307)   #63
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
BTW I am not against it as such its just all the hype that goes with it I dont understand.
May I ask what it is you don't understand Al?

It's a 'pilot' race meeting, that if all goes well will become a regular fixture surely?
Old 25 Feb 2014, 09:05 (Ref:3371928)   #64
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was anyone on Tenths at the GRRC test day yesterday? And did anything interesting turn up or happen?

At least the weather was kind with a dry sunny morning and a lack of that horrible wet stuff we've been having.

There is another test specifically for this meeting on Friday 14th March, I'll be at this one if only for a seat fitting in the car I am due to share in the Stirling Moss Trophy.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3371939)   #65
simon drabble
Veteran

Brian I will see you at that one! The Jaguar fired up for the first time yesterday sadly I was not there but I gather it sounds glorious! Seen photos of yesterday on FB and it seems that the ground was shaking with the rumble of American 70's V8's! Clearly I will now be told that they were illegal engines and goodness knows what else but to the ignorant like me they look superb!
Old 25 Feb 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3371942)   #66
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I saw those as well. Hope the weather repeats for the event itself. There looked to be an ex Spice Capri among others, the Chevy is a replica and will be shared by the pilot of the original car.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3371962)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, I saw those as well. Hope the weather repeats for the event itself. There looked to be an ex Spice Capri among others, the Chevy is a replica and will be shared by the pilot of the original car.
Er yes just seen (and shared) Pirro testing a very original looking Capri or is it a nicely liveried replica??
Old 25 Feb 2014, 11:19 (Ref:3371994)   #68
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
May I ask what it is you don't understand Al?

It's a 'pilot' race meeting, that if all goes well will become a regular fixture surely?
Not the race I have no problem with that rather looking forward to see how it pans out with some of the 'Group 1' prepared cars (especially the engines that'll be interesting!), its the hype around Goodwood I don't understand. Nice enough old race track but why when the name is mentioned does everyone seem to loose all sense of reason to race there, surely not just because they are hoping it will make their cars worth much more if so pretty shallow if you ask me? A perfect example is the price being asked for spectating and the fact its only open to members and friends of competitors, what other track could possibly get away with this?
Old 25 Feb 2014, 11:23 (Ref:3371996)   #69
simon drabble
Veteran

Goodwood is a self fulfilling prophesy - it selects the best and therefore gets exactly that.
Why go to a Michelin starred restaurant when Nando's will leave you full.... because you can
Old 25 Feb 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3372000)   #70
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The Best??? I don't think so, maybe the most well heeled and those in the know but definitely not The Best!
Old 25 Feb 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3372024)   #71
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Goodwood sells a show and does it extremely well.

It is not a particularly great track and has sold the concept of its limited history very well.

Silverstone,Donington and Brands have superior histories.

It's the package that is so clever but I wonder if this extra artisans meeting dilutes the product and thus makes it less exclusive.

As far as having the best and selecting the best.That is rubbish!

They have good grids and its always a decent days entertainment if that what floats your boat but aimed a select band of society.

Al,chill the bankers stirring.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 15:18 (Ref:3372059)   #72
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes I was wondering who the great and good were. I've got an invite!
Old 25 Feb 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3372122)   #73
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Still looking forward to reading the results and reports just a shame its been retricted to members and punitively priced out the range of many would be spectators and I find that rather strange and surely a lost source of revenue for the circuit owners.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 07:31 (Ref:3372269)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes I was wondering who the great and good were. I've got an invite!
There is always a black sheep in every flock, Peter.......

Al, I agree with your point about the restrictions, and cost of spectating for those that are invited to do so. Hopefully the Gp1 cars will be racing in MRL and or PA races during the rest of the season, so can be seen elsewhere. Having said that, can't see any on the latter's season entry list so far.......
Old 26 Feb 2014, 08:02 (Ref:3372276)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
.................................Having said that, can't see any on the latter's season entry list so far.......
I noticed that too. In my case the dates don't work, but I plan to do at least three of the MRL events, subject to car reliability etc.