Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jul 2014, 08:26 (Ref:3432091)   #1226
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Changing the subject, I was reminiscing the other day to an old mate about the time we were daring each other to go as fast backwards as forwards in an old mot failure 340 volvo auto, I believe it's the only car that you could do this in ? well apart from a 2 stoke engined car that the engine will run either way .
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jul 2014, 08:48 (Ref:3432097)   #1227
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An old friend of mine used to have a Daf Variomatic many years ago and would drive around backwards sometimes - you should have seen the look on some peoples faces, especially drivers of following cars
Old 9 Jul 2014, 09:03 (Ref:3432100)   #1228
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Don't suppose anyones got a spare ticket ?
PM me your address Joe.....
Old 9 Jul 2014, 09:13 (Ref:3432101)   #1229
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
THanks Mike . . .I'll get the TinCorner out for a blast, doubt I'll beat my PB of getting there in 55 minutes with the 'breadknife' on board
Old 9 Jul 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3432125)   #1230
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
An old friend of mine used to have a Daf Variomatic many years ago and would drive around backwards sometimes - you should have seen the look on some peoples faces, especially drivers of following cars
I had one apart years ago and changed the belts, and the centrifugal clutch, very simple system.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3432152)   #1231
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a mate of mine had one of these, 4 gears in each direction. terrifying backwards at 30 mph!

and no I'm not referring to the big bird on the bench !
Attached Thumbnails
vespacar.jpg  
Old 9 Jul 2014, 13:20 (Ref:3432165)   #1232
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
a mate of mine had one of these, 4 gears in each direction. terrifying backwards at 30 mph!
I assume it was a stroker as some of the old 3 wheelers like the Bond you just turned the engine off and advanced the ignition timing and bingo !
I wouldn't do it now but it was easy to turn the car over as rear wheel steering is a bit frightening at speed as we found out !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jul 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3432229)   #1233
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... not to mention the discovery that twin trailing shoe brakes are considerably less effective than twin leading shoe...
Old 9 Jul 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3432250)   #1234
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Back in the early 80's my Delta shed got booming cold, so I went to work for Volvo in a nice warm workshop. Anyway we also serviced the old Daff's and they went as quick back words as they did forwards. They were great fun in the snow on road test.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 20:40 (Ref:3432280)   #1235
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first truck, a Mack, had 5 reverse gears. Good for about 50mph which with a trailer on the back was exciting to say the least, anything over 20 was uncontrollable. We used to have trailer hitching races at truckshows - 100 yard dash, hook up the trailer, then reverse it into a garage back at the start line. Everyone else had to spin it round, I'd just go straight back the way I came, won every time
Old 9 Jul 2014, 21:04 (Ref:3432285)   #1236
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
... not to mention the discovery that twin trailing shoe brakes are considerably less effective than twin leading shoe...
I doubt if they could be much worse than on some of those contraptions !
Years ago I hired a Moke in Barbados as it was the cheapest thing I could find, the guy said "de brakes aint de best" as I soon found out, only one rear brake worked as the other three had been blanked off !
Old 14 Jul 2014, 18:27 (Ref:3433877)   #1237
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hired a Moke in Corfu on my first holiday with Mrs Moose, the thing cut out in the middle of nowhere, traced to a faulty electric fuel pump (standard??) that was hidden away in one of the side lockers. Problem was locker was locked! Found a universal key on the hillside (big rock) and promptly open locker and fixed pump. On return to the shady rental place I promptly handed over the rock when quizzed on the missing locker panel.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 14 Jul 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3433899)   #1238
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

you all talk about braking.... whats going wrong with you!!!!
Old 14 Jul 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3433905)   #1239
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going soft in old age Esper.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 20:43 (Ref:3433929)   #1240
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hope to see you at Spa this weekend Esper.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3434219)   #1241
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ten Tenths gavering at Super  Prix 2014 002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	42962
Did not realise Gordon was so tall. We had a brilliant day with some great laughter with Gordon's stories. Time to write that book mate. Glad you stayed over .
Old 15 Jul 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3434229)   #1242
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Did not realise Gordon was so tall.
Eeh.... you'll not be the first person to have been amazed by Gordon's size.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3434242)   #1243
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Eeh.... you'll not be the first person to have been amazed by Gordon's size.
All the women say that !
Old 16 Jul 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3434635)   #1244
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm taking Mrs R to see the original Italian Job at a drive in movie they are holding at Brent Cross tomorrow night - how sad am I
Old 16 Jul 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3434697)   #1245
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have a good time - hope it "blows the bloody doors off"!
Old 17 Jul 2014, 06:36 (Ref:3434771)   #1246
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
What a lovely morning, just walked into the bathroom half asleep and stood barefoot into a nice cold cat puke complete with hairball !!!
Old 17 Jul 2014, 08:03 (Ref:3434794)   #1247
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karma Gordon Karma.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3434803)   #1248
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
Karma Gordon Karma.
Is that cold chicken or cold cat karma ?
Old 17 Jul 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3434818)   #1249
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could have been worse-winters morning and puke warm-with worms!
Old 17 Jul 2014, 09:46 (Ref:3434832)   #1250
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Could be Cat Korma if bought at the local Indian Take-a-way.