Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 11 Jan 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1499261)   #26
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no such thing as bad motorsport!! There more there is, the better.

I like A1, and enjoyed the races so far.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1499271)   #27
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Go-Pakistan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
If the race had beens cheduled for last weekend it would have been understandable, but after such a long wait for the series to ge tunderway you can't cancel races for reasons like this. I know the Sheikh has invested a lot of money into setting the championship up, but he's riskign the long-term prosperity by cancelling races for this type of reason.

I agree, cancellation was a bit of a shock, what will happen to all those people that booked flights and hotels to go see the race? out of pocket.

Still, who do I expect to represent Pakistan? A Pakistani, rather than a half-Pakistani Englishman.
what does it matter? he's still eligible to race for pakistan.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 16:50 (Ref:1499330)   #28
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Here is a simple idea - if you don't like it, don't watch it!

What is the point of posting here that you don't like it? Nothing better to do?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1499549)   #29
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just people airing their opinions, kiwi3, thats what these forums are for.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1499562)   #30
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Good thing he didn't write: yew !
Yew talkin' to me?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1499573)   #31
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh my....the jokes get worse!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, thats the joy of the internet. Turning the "rubbish" drivers thing on its head, Piquet is a fine driver, but he hasn't exactly done too well for several reasons of late. Just because of that i don't rate him lower than i did when he started the season tho....
Old 12 Jan 2006, 07:01 (Ref:1499671)   #32
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Old 12 Jan 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1499720)   #33
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, lets take the bull by the horns and get this thread back where it is supposed to be.

Doh!
Old 12 Jan 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1499735)   #34
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Go-Pakistan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP is a brilliant idea, and a great series, it's surprising no one thought of it before...so well done to the management.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1499736)   #35
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!

This thread is getting far too silly. Certain people are intent on destroying this thread, like a bull in a china shop.

When A1GP started I was full of pessimism. And the first race at Brands did little to lift that wonder if we needed another series like that. But since then, things have only got better and better - close racing, good format, good action, and always something to watch on the track.
Yes, things have been quiet for the moment, but I'd ask those that haven't seen any races yet, or only one of the ones that wasn't at the usual standard, to tune in in a couple of weeks time. And I'm entirely optimistic, if you watch it ignoring all any preconceptions you have and just watch it as a race, you'll really enjoy it.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1499876)   #36
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The photo, presumably of a yak, was quite funny actually, but let's move on.

When the racing started, I thought it was fantastic and still do, but in a different way. I don't know exactly how, but the organisers have come up with a set of regulations that provide amazingly entertaining racing for a single-seater series. I love single-seaters, but, let's be honest, the racing is not usually exciting, even in F1, which most people watch religiously, even if they fall asleep halfway through.

The A1GP qualifying format is great and very exciting to watch, I suspect much better than what they are going to have in F1 this year.

The random nature of the results (apart from three or four teams at the front) is part of the entertainment and makes the racing good as well. All without artificial devices such as weight penalties and back-to-front grids.

To be honest, I do have my doubts about the long term future of A1GP, but that's for another thread and I sincerely hope I'm wrong. For the moment, I'm going to enjoy watching a Series that has really brightened up the winter months for me.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1499941)   #37
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's some basic things that need to be addressed re: the reliability of the cars, and the pit-work, but A1GP is pretty damn promising. The feature race in Dubai was excellent, one of the best single-seater scraps I've seen in years, and the grip/downforce/horsepower balance of the cars is just about right for the level they're racing at. Inevitably the teams that are either from established racing nations or that can afford to buy expertise will be near the front; but right now that's the only way you're going to get meaningful participation from the countries that don't have any top-level motorsport infrastructure. At the moment, France are walking away with the series - what do you expect from DAMS (who are able to capitalise on the experience of running multiple cars) and relatively highly-rated drivers?

If A1GP works - and right now I see no reason why it won't continue to do so, as a 'winter alternative' to GP2 or World Series by Renault in particular - we should start seeing some real growth on the engineering and management side behind the drivers - ideally, we'd be in a position where the teams themselves featured more "local" staff. Give it a few years, let it keep building up, and I think that's what should start to happen.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1500141)   #38
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My humble opinion is that concetta didn't mean to be too negative about A1, he even wrote that he doesn't understand it (the championship). Maybe he should have left the tumb-down out of the title, but he is "only" a novice and presumably foreigner (like me and therefore not able to make every word make sense), remember that.
Maybe if he would have been able to attend an event, his ideas about A1 would be different.

I, for one, was not that optimistic about it, lots of never-heard-of drivers, but being at the first ever race at Brands changed my mind. There were flaws, but that is to expect when a new championship hits the scenery.

If this very first race had taken place at a bleak Magny Cours or a far away eastern track, our thoughts might very well differ.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1500167)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A1 GP, for me is a fabulous concept. And I have enjoyed it largely.

Yes, France have won practically every race. I know the series visited Dubai, the worst track in the history of the world. And I know some of the worlds most talented engineers still haven't worked out how to make a wheel gun that works properly. But apart from that it is smashing.

It does need a better spread of talent though. But that will come in a few years, I'm sure. We will still have Ethiopia and the Man From The Moon at the back of the pack, ten years off the pace, but the racing up front will be so good we won't care.

A hearty well done to A1 GP I say.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1500415)   #40
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's entertainment. That's what racing is supposed to be. It's the anti-F1, in that it directly addresses many of F1's flaws. It shows just what is possible with lower-budget, lower tech cars.

I used to think all racing was subordinate to F1. Then I began broadening my perspective with series like Outlaws and a couple forms of motorcycle racing. It really has changed my opinions. A1 is a great fit for what I like in racing. Others see it differently. Cest la vie.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1500449)   #41
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like it to I think it can only grow and get better I think its main bonus for me is its timing being a late start season just means we have motorsport nearly all year
Old 13 Jan 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1500526)   #42
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I absolutely love it and would be devastated if it didn't continue long into the future.