Originally Posted by madmed
France is dominating
But french people are not very interested by a1gp
I am
Old 1 Apr 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1567199)   #27
madmed
Rookie

madmed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the fact that the chinese a1gp and the australian a1gp will take place in the day will not be good for a1 and it is not the first one. Berni ecclestone and sheikh Maktoum had a deal that the a1gp will take place in the off season. i hope that a1 can support f1 attacks
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1567237)   #28
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Negative stories tend to get told pretty quickly, but I think positive ones deserve to be told as well.

I have booked my Shanghai race ticket on the official web site, but on the first two attempts got an error message rather than a confirmation. Assuming that the transactions had not gone through I tried a third time and succeeded.

Before I even noticed anything amiss, the A1GP ticket office emailed me, to check whether the three transactions were what I wanted. Pretty rare I think to get this kind of proactive communication. Upon replying that in fact they were not, the next day I got a note back apologising for any difficulties with the web site and that two of the transactions would be credited back.

Makes a pleasant change to get this positive and proactive service, if this is how A1 treats it's customers then it really deserves to succeed.

BTW - I think the problem was with my credit card not with the web site, so they were not to blame in the first place.

Sorry if this post is getting a bit off topic, but I think it reflects very positively on the behind the scenes operation of A1GP. To have this kind of efficiency in the first season suggests there are a lot of things they are doing right.
(Even more off topic)

I agree. From my experience from Brands when the series had just started, I got a distinct impression that the organisers care for the spectators and want to make sure that we have a good time. The whole weekend was IMO a big spectacle with good racing and good presentation, just what is needed for something like this.

Its more than I could say for another certain single seater championship, despite my love and devotion to it.
Old 1 Apr 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1567243)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, to be fair, that was the first race so they were always going to push the boat out in that respect.

But I agree with what you say in general.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 00:45 (Ref:1571018)   #30
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if it has satisfied it's own ambitions (Sheik Makhtoum would no doubt say yes, publicly, at least) , but it has certainly met my expectations, and exceeded them.

This is no doubt partly due to the NZ team punching far, far above it's weight. But constantly close racing is always going to be entertaining.

I doubt we'll see such dominance from one team in the future, which will make the contest all the more exciting. The way the teams which struggled at the beginning of the season made up ground was very encouraging in this respect.

A very successful inaugural season, IMO.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 02:27 (Ref:1571047)   #31
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some positive sounds coming from Team Ireland's Mike Gallagher on their new official web site (www.a1teamireland.ie):

Quote:
"The success of A1 Grand Prix this season cannot be under-estimated," said Gallagher afterwards. "The 11 race championship produced some of the very best single seater racing seen anywhere in the world, with overtaking, incidents, strategy and the unique format of the weekend contributing to make A1GP something quite special. The feedback of everyone associated with the series is extraordinary and to see the enthusiasm of team bosses including former World Champions such as Alan Jones, Emerson Fittipaldi and John Surtees is very satisfying.

"With planning for the second season well advanced and the teams now concentrating on post-season rebuilds ahead of summer testing, we are straight down to business once again. A1GP will be making a number of announcements in the coming weeks which fans will have to wait for - suffice it to say it's all very exciting."
Looking forward to hearing what the announcements are.
Old 2 May 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1599731)   #32
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
looking forward to hearing what the announcements are.
How about THIS one?
Old 2 May 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1599740)   #33
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about it...? Tis PR...
Old 2 May 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1599752)   #34
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
What about it...? Tis PR...
Isn't that what everyone says the series needs?
Old 2 May 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1599754)   #35
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've sorta stop listening to be honest....
Old 3 May 2006, 01:17 (Ref:1599787)   #36
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It's excellent PR and I particularly like the livery of the Team USA car. I'm continuing to listen and to watch.
Old 3 May 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1599911)   #37
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to Team USA for taking some initiative. As far as publicity goes they couldn't find an event better than the Indy 500.
Old 3 May 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1599940)   #38
Suze
Veteran

England
Going back to thebear's question - yes it is, but it's only one team...nice move tho, but I haven't found anything for anyone else (also read - haven't looked).
Old 4 May 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1600729)   #39
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There's something like an A1GP summit going on in South Africa this week, so I hope we shall know more about the plans for the second series during the course of the next week or two.

One thing you have to the A1GP people credit for is learning from their mistakes, so I'm sure it will be better.

Ermerson Fittipaldi has come up with a neat idea, which is basically that teams should run young, prospective drivers on the Friday, presumably in their second cars. Although now I think about it, that would mean having an impossible number of cars on circuit at the same time... Maybe they should have separate sessions if the time permits, or just one session for the newcomers.
Old 5 May 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1601155)   #40
Suze
Veteran

England
Hms could be a plan. Would like to see more testing.
Old 9 May 2006, 06:04 (Ref:1603929)   #41
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am willing to bet that there will still be 22/23 cars but with some new countries entering and some of the weaker ones no longer being supported. I guess we might hear something this week.
Old 21 May 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1615829)   #42
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok, but Asian and Arabic countries should be on the series, despite most of them are weakest ones. Mostly when among A1GP purposes is to increase interest about motorsport in these regions.
Old 22 May 2006, 05:46 (Ref:1615984)   #43
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
I would hardly call Lebanon and China the weakest ones (in terms of competitiveness they are, but not financially). It seems to be the European teams that are weakest, e.g. Italy, Austria for example.
Old 22 May 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1616444)   #44
georges1
Rookie

georges1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i can say lebanon have a very good driver Beschir and he showed that in F3000 and in first race starting from 24 to 7th... but he decide it to not drive after the 2nd race cz of the politics in the team i guess...