Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 13 Nov 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1765239)   #26
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think any reasonable person would assume that Kerr's WSR season was not just down to his driving - and anyone who actually watched the races would know that for a fact. Its unusual for him not to be at the sharp end of a series (part-season or not). Rossiter also was massively disappointing for some reason (and earned himself a reputation for taking people out of races!).

I doubt Plato could hack it in A1 GP to be honest - he's certainly talented but I think it'd take him too long to get used to a single-seater again.

I think Gaz is spot on, Kerr needs a whole season with a good team to really show his true stars. I believe Arden made him look bad last year. Judging by Canada the car & team should not be the issue any longer.

Put Jarvis and Kerr in full-time and let Manning talk rubbish on TV.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1765265)   #27
dizzy_izzy
Rookie

dizzy_izzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its really sad that most of you sit here and slag the drivers off but when actually, could you sit in front of a camera at 6 o'clock in the morning and even though your not a tv presenter your a racing driver and do a great job? i don't think so.
Regarding Robbie i don't think any of us are really able to comment on his year in WSR as he spent more time in the gravel due to James Rossiter or in a weekend he had up to 3/4 engine changes his luck wasn't really going his way. Again we can't comment on Oliver jarvis' performance as it was really a fantastic race track to judge a driver on and Darren, well im not his number one fan but all i can say is they only put him in the car last year to cover a race and they did it again this year as Robbie had other commitments but he did an OK job.
The problem with people is we're all too quick to judge but none of us have any data, none of us know what happens in teams and none of us should be so unsupportive of drivers.

You don't decide who goes in the car so why bother all argueing over it. I think your comments have been rude and unfair.

I shall leave you to tear my post apart!
Old 13 Nov 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1765280)   #28
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that the team has a good balance of abilities with the experience of Manning, the youth of Jarvis and the undoubted fighting abilities of Kerr. Keep it as it is, rotate them,it is keeping them on their toes, the team is also learning from this as Kerr mentioned during the commentary. Only 4 points behind after 3 rounds can't be bad.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1765284)   #29
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I think we should get Jason Plato in there. He has talent and experience.
Are there enough spare parts for the A1 GP series to cope with the Plato meister?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1765329)   #30
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think it is a shame Scott Mansell isn't involved, he has a wealth of experience driving big single seaters and is very quick..........
Old 13 Nov 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1765343)   #31
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
y'know, it's always someone elses fault with certain drivers, isn't it?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1765349)   #32
Kebab
Racer

Just as often its always the driver's fault with some judgemental observers ...
Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1765422)   #33
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports
I still think it is a shame Scott Mansell isn't involved, he has a wealth of experience driving big single seaters and is very quick..........
Oh dear
Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:26 (Ref:1765424)   #34
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
y'know, it's always someone elses fault with certain drivers, isn't it?
especially when he was taken out in the pit lane, i mean what did he think he was doing, i mentioned to Robbie that he should have waited till all of the other drivers had finished before he dare share the same tarmac.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1766237)   #35
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
especially when he was taken out in the pit lane, i mean what did he think he was doing, i mentioned to Robbie that he should have waited till all of the other drivers had finished before he dare share the same tarmac.
Which A1GP race was that? Or have you perhaps understeered way off topic?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1766501)   #36
Kebab
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Which A1GP race was that? Or have you perhaps understeered way off topic?
Other people were mentioning Kerr's WSR season - I believe nev's comment is in response to those posts.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1766673)   #37
Penguin
Rookie

Penguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When A1GP started Surtees said he would give the seat to quick drivers that have struggled for funding or a drive which is a superb idea. Ok at the start of the A1GP season Kerr had no drive but he got the drive for WSR so maybe this season it should of been a chance for someone else. We got that someone else and it was Jarvis! He's a good driver but has just had a full season of Brit F3 and will be off to Euro F3 next year.

Manning is the only driver with no full time ride out of the 3. Why don't they test people like Scott Mansell, Alex Lloyd. People who are good drivers, they just don't have the finances to go off and do whatever?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1766683)   #38
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
you raise a fair point there, penguin. if the drive was meant for underfinanced drivers, who would people suggest be tested for the role? who is at the right point in their career?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1766781)   #39
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Unfortunately, the system doesn't really allow for that. They have the two days of official pre-season testing at Silverstone and after that they go straight into the racing season. Somehow this year Team GBR managed to get a couple of days down at Pembrey with Oli Jarvis, but I'm not sure how they did it.

So I think we (or rather they) have to stick with the existing trio. Kerr only got his WSR drive through Surtees. Manning has just announced that he is returned to the IRL full-time next year, but luck didn't run his way at Zandvoort so he probably deserves another chance.

Jarvis was given his chance in Beijing and, I would say took it very well. He may be going Euroseries F3 or even WSR next year, but you can't hold that against him.

You can even make a reasonable case for saying that Kerr should drive in Malaysia, but since his two supporters on here haven't worked that one out, I'm not going to do it for them.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1766805)   #40
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
you raise a fair point there, penguin. if the drive was meant for underfinanced drivers, who would people suggest be tested for the role? who is at the right point in their career?
Probably Gary Paffett after today's events.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1766828)   #41
Kebab
Racer

The question is, how much power does Surtees really have ... i would imagine its more down to the owners of Team GB? I think Lloyd should get a chance, he was treated badly last year
Old 15 Nov 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1766952)   #42
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
You're certainly right about Alex Lloyd. He was treated shockingly last season, but I don't know if he would be interested in coming back, now that he's established a toehold in the States.

At least this season we've had 3 events and each of the drivers has had a chance to race.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1767040)   #43
nev
Racer

Quote:
Somehow this year Team GBR managed to get a couple of days down at Pembrey with Oli Jarvis, but I'm not sure how they did it.

Kerr only got his WSR drive through Surtees.

You can even make a reasonable case for saying that Kerr should drive in Malaysia, but since his two supporters on here haven't worked that one out, I'm not going to do it for them.
Didn't surtees say Robbie will be back in the car anyway.
Also i think the test at Pembey was for all rookie drivers not just team GB

I dont know what bad luck Manning had in Zandvort, i thought that it was luck that got him up into a good position with the pit stops then it rained and he fell back into the field then into the kitty litter. I dont htink he drove a bad race and it was the weather that forced his hand. I do however believe that having qualified 4th then placed back to 10th was bad luck for team GB at the next meeting. Seeing as they would have been behind Malaysia on the grid who went on to win.
I think they should measure robbie and Oliver in the test sessions and then choose which driver to race, now the ban on rookie only testing has been lifted, or has it !!
Old 15 Nov 2006, 18:03 (Ref:1767044)   #44
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
Also i think the test at Pembey was for all rookie drivers not just team GB
The Pembrey test was closed to just GB and Canada (who used the GB car). That said, there may be a rule somwhere that says that teams can test away from the offical events if a rookie is in the car.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1767046)   #45
nev
Racer

Quote:
You're certainly right about Alex Lloyd. He was treated shockingly last season, but I don't know if he would be interested in coming back, now that he's established a toehold in the States.

At least this season we've had 3 events and each of the drivers has had a chance to race.
Alex was treated badly, from what i heard anyway.
Now Manning has got a drive for next season, why risk it by potentially looking average in A1, ot can only be a negative thing to do when your next year is almost in the bag.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1767049)   #46
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
Alex was treated badly, from what i heard anyway.
Getting paid good money to travel to all manner of exotic locations being bad?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1767064)   #47
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Getting paid good money to travel to all manner of exotic locations being bad?
I dont think he went to that many of the race meets and i dont think he would have been paid that much either. I think the carrot seemed quite big to him at that time until he got somehing better.
it was a bit off especially when Robbie couldn't be there and they got someone else in, bit of a pie in the face after all the blerb about him being the reserve driver.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1767230)   #48
Penguin
Rookie

Penguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Jarvis was given his chance in Beijing and, I would say took it very well. He may be going Euroseries F3 or even WSR next year, but you can't hold that against him.
I'm not holding it against him at all he's a class act.

But what about drivers like;

Westley Barber
Scott Mansell
Alex Lloyd
Ben Clucas

All good drivers who in my opinion, going on what Surtees said at the start of A1GP, should be given a chance.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1767685)   #49
Mr Happy
Rookie

Mr Happy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been good points raised here that it should be under financed young British drivers who should be getting the chance to drive for team GBR as that is what surtees initially said when setting up the team.

However im a pretty new fan to A1 and i think what the series desperately needs is some more established names to take it from being a 'feeder series' into a world class series of motorsport.

I'm not saying the rookies shouldn't be given the chance (i like the friday rookie session idea) its just that A1 needs to gain a reputation as being at a higher level than say GP2 to ensure its long term future.

A1 has a lot of potential to be a popular sport in the UK, it could be very appealing to the more casual motor racing fan, but I think to grow in popularity it needs to gain an image of being more top level than it currently is.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1767693)   #50
Mr Happy
Rookie

Mr Happy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must also say that i think some of your posts about Robbie Kerr are rather unkind.
I went with my young family to the A1 demonstration in Manchester earlier in the year and we were extremely impressed by him. He was every bit the show man in the car, he really knew how to get the audience going. Afterwards he spent over an hour politely signing autographs and talking to the kids, it seems he's more comfortable and relaxed whe he's just chatting casually. He made the day for our kids, who are now gradually becomming big motor racing fans themselves!