Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 29 Oct 2003, 12:46 (Ref:766877)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pontiac withdraw

GM have decided to withdraw Pontiac from the NASCAR series in 2004, so they can concentrate their efforts on Chevrolet and the Monte Carlo. GM say that they'll work with Pontiac on a new motorsport venture in the near future. Its expected that very few, if any, teams will run the Pontiac next year without factory backing. Shame they've decided to withdraw as the Pontiac has been getting some good results this season and has 2 of the last 3 championships to its name. And it not like Chevrolet are doing badly, they hold 4 of the top 5 places in the standings.....
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:45 (Ref:766954)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well it doesn't surprise me because I don't know much about NASCAR's workings, but I reckon it is a shame.

Still won't they be back to three manufacturers when Toyota joins
Old 29 Oct 2003, 14:23 (Ref:766995)   #3
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew Nissan were trying to break into Nascar but Toyota too!!!
Where will it all end. (sound of hair pulling and teeth gnashing). The bottom fell out of my world on learning of the impending Jaguar estate (station wagon) now this!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 14:30 (Ref:766996)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Toyota already has its truck racer for next year! Do you mean that you don't want a Mondeo, sorry, Jaguar front wheel drive diesel estate?

Will the Pontaic teams automatically go to the Monte Carlo or will some go to Ford?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 14:37 (Ref:767002)   #5
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Still won't they be back to three manufacturers when Toyota joins
They presently have:

Chevy
Ford
Dodge
Pontiac

So next year- WITHOUT any Pontiac's they will still have three. When Toyota comes in- it will bring it back to 4.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 14:49 (Ref:767011)   #6
oily oaf
Racer

Adam:the Monjaguo oil burner estate is an abomination, I am however keenly awaiting the much vaunted new Ferrari 800cc 3 door hatch and the Lambourghini Caravanette with it's own washing machine capable of 300 spins on its drying cycle.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 15:24 (Ref:767038)   #7
oily oaf
Racer

Sorry I'm going off topic again (sound of wrist being slapped).
Old 29 Oct 2003, 17:11 (Ref:767147)   #8
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bit of a shame to see Pontiac go, I guess, but it does make perfect sense for GM to concentrate it's efforts on Chevy. Hopefully we'll see Pontiac turn up in some other category that could do with GM's support.

It's not a foregone conclusion that the 5 existing Pontiac teams will switch to Chevy:
Quote:
"GM plans to honor any deals still in place with Pontiac teams, but not all of them will have the option of moving to Chevrolet.

``We do have some contractual commitments, which we will uphold,'' said Doug Duchardt, director of GM Racing. ``We're going to evaluate the rest of those teams on how they can help us win manufacturer and driver's championships."
Old 29 Oct 2003, 17:25 (Ref:767163)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really understand the loss of pontiac, arguably the better looking of the GM cousins, it really is great looking racer, and when it won this year what a finish, GM should offer the Pontiac at a bonus to some established teams to get them to work better, after all doesn't pontiac 'build excitement?"
the Monte Carlo is a laugghable (like my spelling) passenger car and really not fun at all, front drive V6 with or without supercharger, they should use the new GTO or something. this whole thing is really sad.
2 of the last three championships are pontiacs what gives? are they going back to trans-am or something?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 17:50 (Ref:767191)   #10
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Stewart, amongst others, spent most of last year complaining about the aerodynamics of the Pontiac (with good reason, by all accounts). The 5 existing Pontiac teams are not front-runners, so I think the decision would have been fairly easy. Ricky Cravens's win WAS amazing, but it was only 1 - Chevy's have won 17 times so far...

Interesting that you should bring up the issue of the road cars, gt. What do they have to do with Nascar - apart from the name? "Stock cars"?

I wonder if something is in the works with the Monaro/GTO in another series?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 18:36 (Ref:767237)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
it will bring it back to 4.
oops Thanks
Old 29 Oct 2003, 19:06 (Ref:767273)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know there is no relation to road cars, but i couldn't see where they might be going with all this. unless as you said the Pontiac GTO will enter the Pony wars with the mustang, and hence go GT racing
Old 9 Nov 2003, 22:25 (Ref:778254)   #13
Megatron
Rookie

Megatron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GM did not like the idea of common templates, that may have someth9ing to do with it. Aside from some minor alterations to the front and rear, this years "pontiac" was essentially a clone of the Dodge, Chevy, and the Ford Taurus, which is what NASCAR based it on. Of course, this isn't reallly a Ford Taurus.

How they can continue to call them stock cars is beyond me. Maybe
Nascars" would be a better term now.

Sad to see Pontiac go, though.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 15:23 (Ref:779927)   #14
24thunder
Veteran

24thunder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Toyota already has its truck racer for next year! Do you mean that you don't want a Mondeo, sorry, Jaguar front wheel drive diesel estate?

Will the Pontaic teams automatically go to the Monte Carlo or will some go to Ford?
3 of the 5 Pontiac teams have already announed on TV that They will go to Chevrolets in 2004,while the other 2 teams are still weighing Their options.
#24,1995,1997,1998,2001 Champion,1991 Busch ROTY,1993 Nextel Cup ROTY,3 Daytona 500 victories,5 Southern 500 victories,4 time Brickyard 400 winner,3 Coca-Cola 600 wins,8 road course(record)victories!
Old 15 Nov 2003, 02:33 (Ref:783921)   #15
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevy has been cutting back on the Pontiac line completely, just last year they stopped producing the thunderbird. Anyway a lion is a lion anyway you paint him.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 20:21 (Ref:784501)   #16
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean FIREbird? T-bird is a Ford. And the new GTO is coming to fill the spot of powerful rear-driven coupe.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 17 Nov 2003, 23:18 (Ref:786634)   #17
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When they stopped making Firebirds, they also stopped making Camaros -- it wasn't just a Pontiac thing. I hope they do go back to Trans Am & GTO's replace the Camaros that were being raced this year, but are no longer in production. (And the way Jaguar dominated the series this year, GM needs to do something.)

Meanwhile, Pontiac won the manufacturer's championship in the NHRA....
Old 24 Nov 2003, 06:07 (Ref:792640)   #18
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "Pontiac GTO" The Holden Monaro just won the Bathurst 24hr endurance race, for the 2nd year in a row
Old 25 Nov 2003, 01:05 (Ref:793449)   #19
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by billiaml
Meanwhile, Pontiac won the manufacturer's championship in the NHRA....
Yeah, but thse are hardly Pontiacs. They just have Sunfire or Grand Am headlights put in.

I just hope some car owner will be cool enough to run some races next year with a GP just to keep the marque in the sport.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 25 Nov 2003, 14:41 (Ref:794069)   #20
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True. But you could say that about a lot of race cars, couldn't you?

Based on 24's post, it looks like there are 2 chances of that happening -- the 2 that are still weighing their options. Of course you might also say "slim" and "none." Nowadays, a team needs factory support; and that's one thing Pontiac teams won't get in NASCAR.