Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Sep 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1415964)   #1
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
RSportRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking after your own..

now all parents want the best for there off spring.. but...

Austria u have Lauda SNR having the franchise, Lauda JNR driving
Austrailia Alan Jones and u have Christian Jones as one of the drivers
also Czech Republic u have Charouz SNR and JNR

while im on about this.. Why have South Africa not mentioned Alan Van D Merve in relationto the drive?! considering he did some development work on the chassis etc
Old 25 Sep 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1415973)   #2
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't worry too much abuot Christian Jones - he has shown that his primary experience lies in cement rendering (or tyre polishing - take your pick).

And daddy certainly won't be pleased that Will Power got to lead the 'feature' race today (albeit behind the safety car).
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1415983)   #3
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
u could prob add Piquet jnr and snr to the above. BUT atlleast jnr can drive as well as his old man!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1416009)   #4
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Jones will be pleased that Australia led the race, has he got any other reason not to? If he was taht bias Christian would have raced. But there is much better talent than Jones, like Briscoe, Courtney, Davison who are all excellent open wheel circuit drivers.

But for Eastern Creek Jones will race in the sprint race.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1417583)   #5
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSportRacer
u could prob add Piquet jnr and snr to the above. BUT atlleast jnr can drive as well as his old man!
The frightening thing (for A1GP at least) is that Snr reckons that Junior is a better driver than he was!

Obviously it's still early days but I think Piquet/Brazil could easily walk away with the title. Although he seems to have had a closer run of it in GP2.

Still think it'llbe a great series though.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1417882)   #6
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't understand the hate for Jones, I belive him to be quite a talented individual! However perhaps the Asian F3 or whatever isn't the best gauge of talent.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1417930)   #7
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
But for Eastern Creek Jones will race in the sprint race.
Although this may hinge on how he drives in round 2.

Alternatively - could we see the first use of 3 drivers? One for qualifying, one for the sprint and the third for the endurance race? Possible and intriguing.

Quote:
I don't understand the hate for Jones, I belive him to be quite a talented individual! However perhaps the Asian F3 or whatever isn't the best gauge of talent.
Tall Poppy Syndrome - very popular in Australia.

Although there is some talk about problems that happened a few years ago with Chrstian Jones and the Formula Ford team he was in 'adjusting lap times'. It isn't a secret but was never formally charged or proven.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1418244)   #8
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i always wondered how much the dads past and told to the sons..... i mean is there some big secrets that other people dont hear?? lol

just the name innit.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1418610)   #9
AlMillion
Rookie

AlMillion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only person that doesn't rate Piquet as highly as all the hype? I mean, look at his average performance in GP2! I have a strong feeling that A1 teams have not got to grips with setting up the car and that Brazil are ahead of the curve ... I think it will get far more competitive as the season progresses and we'll see a more accurate reflection of driver talents as they all learn how to set the car up.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1418698)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i didn't rate piquet *that* highly until i went out to the gp loop on saturday and watched him qualify. leagues ahead of everyone else. he will most definitely be something special. (i've seen him in bf3 for 2 years, so it wasn't armchairexperience or anything...)

you use his gp2 performance as a gague, yet that was even more of a series where one or two other teams had a better handle on the car... i wouldn't use that series as a measure of talent at all.

Last edited by bella; 28 Sep 2005 at 10:05. Reason: blonde moment
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1418707)   #11
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
Alienman_69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite the opposite... GP2 is a series where car setup is crucial, and like F1 has a lot of things to set up. If you look at Rosberg, his team obviously found something about the setup, thats why not only him but his teamate have been getting good results in GP2. Like their fathers, I think Piquet is better than Rosberg!
When in Spa, Piquet won the first race of GP2 he was driving with slicks on a wet track, that for me tells a lot about talent.
A1GP has a lot less things for teams to setup, so its much more about drivers.
I also believe Piquet is starting to mature as a driver, so we will start to see what he can really do, not only in A1GP but also in GP2.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1418714)   #12
AlMillion
Rookie

AlMillion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree he will probably improve but if you looked at the way the cars were behaving on the track you could see that Piquet's car was much better configured than some of the other 'top' drivers. To his credit it will have been his feedback that helped them get the car sorted.

Am no professional engineer but even i could see the difference (and no, it isn't all down to the driver) when watching them on track!

Anyway, I think my point will be illustrated as the season progresses - happy to be wrong!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1418739)   #13
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
Maybe Im wrong to, who knows.
Anyway if we want to talk about zero talent, lets talk about Lauda... lol
What is he doing on A1GP and GP2?? What a waste of money...
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1418770)   #14
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
have u heard the rumours about Lauda Jnr and the 2nd Red Bull team.....
Old 28 Sep 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1418813)   #15
Miranda
Rookie

Netherlands
Zoetermeer - the Netherlands
Miranda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lauda Jr.... is just a complete waiste of time. Rosberg and Piquet on the otherhand are very talented in my opinion... but well I have been a huge fan of Nelsinho Piquet for 2 years now so maybe if it wasn't for that I would have said otherwise.

I believe Rosberg has a great future in F1, but I don't think it is fair to judge Piquet for his performance in GP2 for the team and the car were horrible in the beginning of the season and when they finally got it right he won in Spa, so there's nothing wrong with his abbilities as a driver I would say.

But what's with the rumours about Lauda and Red Bull?
Old 28 Sep 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1419087)   #16
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Ive heard Lauda snr is linked to a role in the new RB Jnr team and is wanting to give his son a drive... no links im afraid just what ive heard.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1419322)   #17
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
That would be rediculous to say the least... Lauda Jr is not even a middle pack driver... his at best... the one that closes the pack! lol