Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 May 2008, 07:11 (Ref:2214414)   #1
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshal Training / Pay

I was just wondering what sorta training one needs to become a marshal at say regional races.

What qualifications are necessary to marshal at bigger series like the ALMS or CART or F1? Previous marshaling experience and a specific training program I would guess?

Are the high level marshal jobs paid or volunteer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29 May 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2214427)   #2
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo
I was just wondering what sorta training one needs to become a marshal at say regional races.

What qualifications are necessary to marshal at bigger series like the ALMS or CART or F1? Previous marshaling experience and a specific training program I would guess?

Are the high level marshal jobs paid or volunteer?

Thanks in advance.
You have just opened (accidently) quite a large can of Stand back and watch the fun!!!!

To be more helpful....

Not nessararily (sp) any qualifications needed in Australia for the big meetings, just a willingness and an acceptance letter. Previous marshalling does help, so does having a license.

AFAIK, all Australian officials are volunteer.

Hope I helped you a bit.

Mick

Last edited by bludvl_x19; 29 May 2008 at 07:37.
Old 29 May 2008, 07:36 (Ref:2214429)   #3
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ultimo, where in the world are you as requirements vary greatly
Old 29 May 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2214454)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
At a guess North America from the phraseology, acronyms and spelling
regional races, ALMS, program...
So one of the USAsian's or Canadians will be along later hopefully.

Local SCCA group is the usual starting point in US. You've mentioned Toronto in previous posts, CART's Toronto "Grand Prix" was/is BARC Canada
www.barc-oc.com/links
is a very good starting point until somebody tells you otherwise (MMS, Mosport still seem to have training day running at the end of June)

Still, no qualifications required to begin with, unpaid and for F1, you're right, experience counts.
(what's CART?) joke!
IRL(v2.0) isn't it?

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 29 May 2008 at 08:29.
Old 29 May 2008, 09:21 (Ref:2214491)   #5
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
Ultimo, where in the world are you as requirements vary greatly
Located in Toronto, so the only track around here that I know of is Mosport which is about 45 minutes away.

So if I read you guys right, not even F1 marhsals are paid?

I have a always apprecaited marshals as they are quite literalyl putting thier life on the line at some times for thier love of the sport and to make sure things run smoothly and safely.

Props to all you marshals and thanks for the expedient replies, look forward to hearing more.
Old 29 May 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2214499)   #6
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've marshalled at the Montrael Grand Prix and wasn't paid.
Given lots of goodies but no cash, the only place I've been paid cash was the Nurburgring in Germany.
Old 29 May 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2214507)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo
Located in Toronto, so the only track around here that I know of is Mosport which is about 45 minutes away.

So if I read you guys right, not even F1 marhsals are paid?
Coconut for the spare parts man!

Ultimo, as I said above, if you follow the link I gave (look under region clubs) to the MMS forum (Motorsport Marshalling Services), you can find the details of the 2 day training weekend that they're holding at Mosport end of June. Looks to be well organised.

As for F1, nope, no pay for those as far up as corner captain/observer/Post chief. Not Montreal, not Indy, not Silverstone. Volunteers all.

Only ever been paid an allowance - say 15-20 dollars US per day at Silverstone. Same sort of rate at "new" foreign tracks where experienced marshals are brought in to supplement/train locals.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 29 May 2008 at 09:51.
Old 29 May 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2214576)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless you count getting in free to watch the sport you love as "payment"
Old 29 May 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2214633)   #9
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ultimo - for TO we are your guys/gals!!

MMS - Motorsport Marshalling Services is based at Mosport, and we had the contract for marshalling at the Toronto GP - so IF that comes back next year, and IF the organisational structure stays the same, then we should be doign it next year as well.

As for training, you need to attend a new marshal's school, over a 2 day weekend. These are held at regional (CASC-OR) race weekends. First day is a classroom session, punctuated by field trips to see cars in the paddock, visit corners, race control etc. Second day, you are out on a corner with an instructor all day. The chief instructor is my dear lady wife, so I can assure you you will be well looked after.

After that, you have probationary status, and are elegible to work any MMS contracted event (including the Pro events - ALMS, NASCAR etc...). Each day you work, an evaluation is filled out by your corner senior, and your progress is monitored. After about 5 events, you need to take phone-op training, and then practise as a communicator.

After a minimum 15 days, if performance is satisfactory you qualify for your full licence. You can then start to work up through the grades, get Captain's training etc....

It is all volunteer. A bunch of us are going to Montreal next week for F1 - in fact here you have to pay to get in (not much, and you get a golf shirt). Qualification for F1 is usually aournd 30 events experience - other events are at the discrtion of the (local) flag chief.

For further details, see out website MMS, and drop me a pm and I can put you in touch with our {press gang} recruiters.

Next school is June 28/29, at a BARC regional race weekend. Hope to see you there. (I'm easy to find, usually some from of British Flag flying at my trailer)

Last edited by Rich D; 29 May 2008 at 13:17. Reason: numerous typos...