Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Nov 2000, 20:09 (Ref:48479)   #1
Katherine
Rookie

Katherine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your answer to the above question is 'yes', then I'd really love to know how the meeting came to be. Also, how long was your meeting with him and what happened? I'd love to hear all about forumers' experiences of meeting Schumi. So, get spilling the beans!
Old 15 Nov 2000, 21:47 (Ref:48492)   #2
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it is strange that me, a non TGF fan, will be the first to reply here...
I met him quite a few times (if you can call that "meet")
Always in Estoril, either in the Thursday of the GP or during winter tests. A friend of mine was a Marshall there and always took me there.

The first time was on TGF's first year in F1, he was really nice and friendly, maybe because i always tried to speak in german. then i kind of met him nearly every year till 96 or something, not sure and don't have all my photos in here to go and check the dates.

What i can say is he was a pretty nice guy, especially in the beginning, then, well, he became a bit more arrogant. but i think that comes with the Championships coz one of my regrets is that the last thing i ever said to Senna was "every year you are more and more arrogant".

Once it was fun, he was playing behind the pits with a dog, nearly got run over coz he was playing in the parking lot not paying attention to the cars arriving.

well, enough rambling for now
x
C
Old 16 Nov 2000, 03:27 (Ref:48529)   #3
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You betcha Katherine!

I was at the Adelaide GP during his time with Benetton (I think it was 94). For reasons completely out of my hands, luck fell on me at that GP - and I ended up in the "Paddock" area. After a good look around, and a tour through the Ferrari pit (also meeting the wonderful Jean Alesi), I ended up sitting on the edge of an airport travel container, which was along the main walking path in the "paddock" and watching the buzz of activity going on around me. Schumi was walking along and, of course, me being a fan of his, I said hello! He gave me a huge smile and we had a small typical chat about Australia, the weather, the usual banter etc etc.

I found him polite and very friendly, and obviously not worried about giving a fan five minutes of his time to say hello - it made my year

I hope one day you get to meet him too!!

Cheers!
Jen
Old 16 Nov 2000, 11:26 (Ref:48568)   #4
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Diabando,
are you a fan of Jean Alesi? Like me? That's great!
Well, I also met a few drivers in my life as a fan, and not only drivers. I met Alesi, Hakkinen, Frentzen, Irvine, Villeneuve, Haug and Fiorio during F1-testings in May 1998, when I had an invitation of Sauber as a"Jean Alesi Fans Club" member. I met Alesi, Trulli and Minardi at the Bologna Motorshows in 1997 and 1998. I met Jordan and Fiorio at the Monza-GP 1997. I also met Fisichella at a UNICEF-dinner in my hometown Merano in northern Italy. And with "met" I mean that I spoke to them. Not really 5 minutes each, but we exchanged some words.
Ahhh, its good to live in amotorsport-fanatic country like Italy. (Unfourtunately I study at Vienna....)
Well, as you all know, to meet a driver is a very special experience every fan has to feel in his live as a fanatic.
We where very privileged to have had this kind of experience.
In deepest respect, your Jeanburrasca81.undefined
Old 16 Nov 2000, 12:02 (Ref:48578)   #5
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanburrasca81
Well, as you all know, to meet a driver is a very special experience every fan has to feel in his live as a fanatic.

I agree. My most precious thing is my pic with Senna.
And I can also say that DC is really really nice, he was the one i talked to most when i went to Estoril. Including after he won his first race there I went with my mate to a club where they had a "F1 party" and DC was surrounded by hysterical fans, saw me, recognised me from the track and came to talk to me kind of in a "save me" way! that was cool!

my advice when you meet them is have "normal" chats, don't act all starstruck!

xxx
C
Old 16 Nov 2000, 12:15 (Ref:48580)   #6
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Hi Carla O,
you're pic with Senna? The great "Magic"? Please tell me more. How did it come to it?
Old 16 Nov 2000, 14:31 (Ref:48602)   #7
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanburrasca81
Hi Carla O,
you're pic with Senna? The great "Magic"? Please tell me more. How did it come to it?
i have pics with Senna from 90 and 91 and loads of pics of Senna as well, all in Estoril.
I also had made a reprint of my 90 with him one and got it signed... but because it meant so much to me i carried it in my purse... which was stolen in New Years Eve 98!

Senna for me was God, and i think I have said that enough in this forum

Some of my non F1 friends think i ma quite sad, but i have pic of and with most of the great drivers and quite a few stories to remember them by...
Old 16 Nov 2000, 15:09 (Ref:48616)   #8
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I advise any true TGF fans: If you are fortunate to meet the man please stay away and admire from far.

Freedom and moments of peace are what the celebrities crave for, not fanatic signatures hunters.
Old 16 Nov 2000, 15:18 (Ref:48618)   #9
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by LYM
Freedom and moments of peace are what the celebrities crave for, not fanatic signatures hunters.
I don't consider myself fanatic after things i've seen, for most of them i was fortunate to be with my freind who was working as a Marshall and some drivers just like to hang out near us and chat, DC was a bit like that, wanting to know from us what was happening to the other drivers in the track.

Villeneuve i actually had to tell him off once, he did a really stupid thing at the end of tests and he put the life of the marshalls in danger... he was surprised i was talking to him about it but actually kind of apologised

Old 16 Nov 2000, 16:22 (Ref:48625)   #10
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

To Carla O,
Senna was a god for me too, I will never forget that ****ing(sorry) 1st May. In the end it's he who fixed the standard I compare all other drivers to.
Old 16 Nov 2000, 17:39 (Ref:48648)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not met TGF nor do I especially care if I ever do meet him. However, I am hoping one day to meet Prost. He is still my idea of the perfect pilot and is reputed to be a very easy man to talk to as well.

Old 16 Nov 2000, 17:43 (Ref:48650)   #12
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I have not met TGF nor do I especially care if I ever do meet him. However, I am hoping one day to meet Prost. He is still my idea of the perfect pilot and is reputed to be a very easy man to talk to as well.

He is Liz, my mate the marshall was a HUGE Prost fan and had really cool chats with him over the years. there were times when ron dennis even let her into the motorhome to go and talk to Prost.

He wasn't my fave... never was (those were the Senna vs. Prost times, like now we have the TGF vs. MH) but he was always quite pleasant when i was standing next to my friend and she was talking to him.

oh well, those days are over for me... now that Estoril is back again I am no longer in Portugal...

Old 17 Nov 2000, 00:01 (Ref:48695)   #13
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Green?

LYM - and what is your problem?

I was minding my own business, out of the way of the hussle and bustle going on around me...I merely said Hello. It was HIS choice to stop, and HIS choice to say a few words... and I never bothered to ask for his autograph.

I would hardly call myself, or any of the other members of this forum "fanatic signature hunters".

I take offense.

Old 17 Nov 2000, 00:53 (Ref:48708)   #14
LYM
Racer

I wasn't referring to you Diabando. I was talking about all the celebrities. Not only TGF. If you really want them to enjoy few quiet moments outside the spotlight, don't surround them and attract the paparrazzi.

There was an article about TGF when he was still living in Germany, even the petrol station cashier recognised him with his shades on. He said he needs to settle down in Switzerland he are too famous in his native country(and the heavy taxation of course)
Old 17 Nov 2000, 01:02 (Ref:48710)   #15
LYM
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by LYM

There was an article about TGF when he was still living in Germany, even the petrol station cashier recognised him with his shades on. He said he needs to settle down in Switzerland he are too famous in his native country(and the heavy taxation of course)
Pardon my grammar!

I 'm not referring to anyone here(grrr..), but someone I know actually collect signatures from sportsmen and sell them to the fans.
Old 17 Nov 2000, 10:11 (Ref:48738)   #16
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by LYM
I 'm not referring to anyone here(grrr..), but someone I know actually collect signatures from sportsmen and sell them to the fans. [/B]
that is really bad!
my autographs and photos mean so much to me because they have memories and stories attached as well...
i would never sell somethng, or even buy an autograph!

a few months ago i had some monetary problems and just out of curiosity went into a little shop in Soho that sells F1 autographs and photos and asked how much a certain item i have was worth. I nearly dropped dead when i was told £1000... but even though the money would have been great i didn't sell it and i don't think i will...
Old 21 Nov 2000, 04:27 (Ref:49272)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pay No Attention To That Man In The Ferrari

If TGF wants to live in a country where he will be totally unrecognized, let him move to the United States. They will call him "Mike" and if he says he's a race driver they will ask him if he knows Dale Ernhardt.

I have no patience with people who go into a line of work that puts them directly in the spotlight and then whine because people pay attention to them. Let them eat cake.
Old 21 Nov 2000, 05:37 (Ref:49279)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Wel, I did meet John Surtees a long long time ago. He was racing at Lakeside, and his car broke down just near where we had a tent pitched above the track. It started to pour cats and dogs as it does in Queensland and he jumped the fence and ran into our tent and asked if he could shelter there. I said sure, and we started talking. His first question was whether I was from the press, and I said hell no, I was an engineering student. We traded some laughs, and I questioned his move to Ferrari the following year as Ferrari were not doing so great. He was rather quiet about it, and said that he expected them to do better. He won the championship next with Ferrari - what a fool I felt afterwards. I am not an autograph hunter and did not ask him for one, just shook hands with him when he left. Just then an ardent fan spotted him, and asked John to sign this huge motorcycle book with fantastic photos, and John signed on a great photo of himself on a bike. I'd love to see that book now, it must be one of the most treasured mementos of this guy. I remember John Surtees as a quiet gentleman.