Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1406927)   #1
shiftup
Rookie

shiftup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull to slash Minardi, let's do something

Hi guys

I don't know whether there are any Minardi fans in here but I've heard that Red Bull are about to slash the Minardi name and turn it into some "Red Bull Juniors" or god knows what.

20 years of F1 history are about to be flushed down the drain.

I've spotted a petition on a Minardi fan site. I've signed it. Please consider doing so as well.
petition click here

shiftup
Old 13 Sep 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1406930)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just don't.

Red Bull have ensured the future of a team.

Names come and go - we all still have fond memories of Lotus, Brabham, Tyrrell etc but times do change.

The team won't be "Minardi" - so why should it use that name?
Old 13 Sep 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1406937)   #3
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if I have to choose the Stoddard's Minardi as now or a future team with a different name but with better prospects . i'll choose the latter

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Sep 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1406940)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Like k-b said, teams come and go, there's names we all miss but that's life...

I'd rather the name went but the future of the team with better prospects survived.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1406942)   #5
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite funny...I remember a press release saying 'the team will stay in Italy'. Yet today Red Bull says the team will be based in England from 2008 on.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1406952)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
Quite funny...I remember a press release saying 'the team will stay in Italy'. Yet today Red Bull says the team will be based in England from 2008 on.
Yes, on the ITV coverage before the Belgian GP they stated that the team would remain in Italy, and would "save the workforce" there, heh heh, gotta love PR speak.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1406955)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They committed to keep it in Italy for 2 years, which is what Stoddard was asking.

Beyond that, it makes sense to move.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1406960)   #8
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember though that Tom Walkinshaw (BTW can anyone tell me what happened of him. Did he go bankrupt?) needed the unanimity from the other teams to get rid of the Arrows' name. He could not get it IIRC such that the team was named TWR Arrows. Does that rule still exist?
Old 13 Sep 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1406969)   #9
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Shame. Signed the petition, noticed only 1 Italian has signed. Where are they all?
Old 13 Sep 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1407002)   #10
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who gets upset about a trivial little matter like this obviously has very little else to worry about in life. I envy you!
Old 13 Sep 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1407003)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Off topic: Louis B. do a search about Tom on the F1 forum and the Aussie TC forum. They'll be quite a bit on him.

It haven't been Minardi for years in some ways. If the team is going to change more then the name should go because it won't be Minardi.

I wasn't bothered when the Tyrell name went. It had gone anyway. It became a new team, a different team, to call it Tyrell would have been wrong. A similar situation exists with the comedy return of the Team Lotus name we keep hearing about every now and again. It isn't Lotus, so what is the point?

The team remains, Red Bull seem to like racing, so I am not too upset. I am a little suprised, but not that much. Onwards and upwards (?).
Old 13 Sep 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1407012)   #12
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Onwards and upwards (?).
Indeed!

Red Bull have lots of funding. They will be able to build a reasonably competitive car and run a couple of talented young stars. I doubt they will need to top up the coffers by offering middle-aged Isreali guys drives in exchange for cash.

I've got a lot of time for Paul Stoddart, but these changes are for the best. As for the Minardi staff, i imagine they will be overjoyed that they are going to be part of a well funded outfit, with a good future ahead of them.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1407017)   #13
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Anyone who gets upset about a trivial little matter like this obviously has very little else to worry about in life. I envy you!
I don't think you have any reasons to envy him
Old 13 Sep 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1407028)   #14
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
What are the rules though on name changes for f1 teams. Is assent from the other teams required in any way? May Red Bull have two teams with the name "Red Bull" in it. If not, what will be the name of next year's Minardi team?
Old 13 Sep 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1407061)   #15
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Come on guys, we all know life goes on; BUT, spare a thought for present and past owners, pit crew, truckies who have fought for 20th or worse place in F1 history. They survived in business by the skin of the teeth. Yes; its good that monies are being injected; it hasnt been Minardi since PS had it, but we all love a little bit of nostalgia? Go forward, lets hope they keep most of the staff, so they might taste a bit of success. Youre a hard faced lot!
Old 13 Sep 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1407063)   #16
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
A "trivial" little matter?

Don't you realise that this brings the number of Non-British competitors to the "World" championship down to 5?
Old 13 Sep 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1407064)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta
Come on guys, we all know life goes on; BUT, spare a thought for present and past owners, pit crew, truckies who have fought for 20th or worse place in F1 history. They survived in business by the skin of the teeth. Yes; its good that monies are being injected; it hasnt been Minardi since PS had it, but we all love a little bit of nostalgia? Go forward, lets hope they keep most of the staff, so they might taste a bit of success. Youre a hard faced lot!
Don't get me wrong. There is history and emotion there. Somethings do have an end though.

On that note, the biggest concern is the potential move.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1407086)   #18
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta
Nobody passed away, no one is injured, nobody lost their job, Minardi's creditors stand a chance of getting paid, we are less likely to have "pay drivers" in the future, cars finishing three laps behind the leader, etc. And you call us hard faced???

You're right, we will all miss PS' weekly outbursts of temper ...
Old 13 Sep 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1407088)   #19
shiftup
Rookie

shiftup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
we are less likely to have "pay drivers" in the future
I can't believe what I'm reading here. This is the team that gave us Alonso, Trulli, Fisichella, Webber, Gene and Badoer we're talking about

All you'll get now is people who are paid by Red Bull and they have supported Bernoldi in the past and made him a pay driver for Arrows.

Quote:
well if you're such a nihilist, what are you doing on a motor sport forum

go save the whales...

shiftup
Old 13 Sep 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1407099)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When did Friesacher or Yoong last overtake Michael Schumacher?
Old 13 Sep 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1407101)   #21
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
This Team has started SO many minnows that have become BIG fish. Fine; its sold; just have due respect for its Staff that TRIED to kick ass for years, and are STILL kicking, with no negative thought. They will fight on the last race and give it all, theyre proper people. Id love some Staff like that. Fine; Life goes on, thats great; just dont rejoice too much. Youre losing the last minnows in F!. And no crap. If you believe theyve all got jobs soon, join cuckoo land.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1407103)   #22
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Boots; life is about TRYING, not winning.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1407104)   #23
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Apart from that; when did Fernando last past Kimi?
Old 13 Sep 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1407119)   #24
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
OK Shiftup & Dijivincta,

I take it that you are members of the Minardi fan club and that you are sad about the news. I understand that (I was myself very sad when Tyrrel disappeared).

However, It had to happen some day. Minardi and PS fighted as long as they could to a point that, at the end, it became pathetic.

While Minardi contributed to the introduction of Alonso, Fisico, Webber and Gene to F1 (BTW & IIRC, it is Prost which introduced "Trulli" to F1), Red Bull has been keeping up with the tradition of developping new talent from its very first year in f1 such that this aspect should not worry you too much. Minardi, on the other hand, also "gave us" a good deal of unwanted people for financial reasons. This is less likely to happen with Red Bull's deeper pockets.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1407130)   #25
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Louis B yes go with you; its good for F1. Ive been brought up hard. There are some good guys and females that need some thought in Minardi. Well done Red Bull, hope it progresses well..