Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Oct 2004, 04:34 (Ref:1127937)   #1
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besnard in with Walker at Surfers

I'm glad to see a lot of new talent getting a shot at a Champ Car under race conditions. Click here for story I'm not very familiar with Besnard but if enough teams can give these young guys a shot some real talent is bound to rise to the top. It also appears to me that some money is freeing up to help the teams in the coming season.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1128148)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope he does well, though it will be difficult for him. Especially in a Reynard.
On a side note Max Wilson a former CART driver is now racing V8 Supercars.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Oct 2004, 11:51 (Ref:1128164)   #3
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Besnard in with Walker at Surfers

Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
I'm glad to see a lot of new talent getting a shot at a Champ Car under race conditions. Click here for story I'm not very familiar with Besnard but if enough teams can give these young guys a shot some real talent is bound to rise to the top. It also appears to me that some money is freeing up to help the teams in the coming season.
The drive should have gone to Josh Hunt, but he elected not to take it because he wanted to focus on securing his drive in the Toyota Atlantic series for next season.

As a result Besnard was invited to test the car and impressed enough to secure the drive.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1128197)   #4
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^^ Josh Hunt wasn't even competitive in Atlantics so imo, he's not ready for Champ Cars quite yet.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1128206)   #5
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Josh Hunt deal was something arranged earlier in the year and linked to his TA campaign - its mentioned HERE.

Last edited by Matt_S; 19 Oct 2004 at 12:28.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 13:01 (Ref:1128258)   #6
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it this means that PK will still be runnign Gonzales - at one point I think he idea was that Besnard would take over the second PK entry?
Old 19 Oct 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1128284)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Besnard in with Walker at Surfers

Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
Flatspot I started a thread about David Besnard a while back , gives a brief outline on his racing career to date
Old 19 Oct 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1128291)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and yes Besnard was originally slated to take the second PKV car and in fact tested for them , but things changed pretty quickly and he ended up at Walker.

I also believe this car will be the car Valiante will drive in mexico
Old 19 Oct 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1128315)   #9
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably Marcus - lets hope David keeps it out of the wall!
Old 19 Oct 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1128330)   #10
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Marcus
Old 19 Oct 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1128585)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having 19-car grids for Surfers and Mexico is a real positive for the championship. Besnard seems unliekly to look towards doing a full season in CART at this stage (and in any case he'd probably need a season in Atlantics first), but Janis and Valiente could reasonably bring full sponsorship packages (and considerable talent) to the 2005 field full time. The worst case would mean that it's 3 new drivers getting a ChampCar chance, two of them from countries with no other 2004 invovlement.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1128855)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going slightly off topic: Regarding Max Wilson, I was really disappointed when he left the series, he had a couple of really good performances. I was surprised that he hasn't done better in the V8s. (granted I haven't payed any attention to the series this year)
Old 19 Oct 2004, 23:54 (Ref:1128942)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
in regards to max , right teams at the wrong time in the V8's.

His time will come next year is looking very promising , he has a new teammate in craig lowndes , he will either learn alot from craig or be demoralised , I hope he learns alot.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 02:17 (Ref:1128977)   #14
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll have to be brutal and say either Besnard will be mind blowing, or he'll be in the wall in turn 2. But its great that an Australian has been given a chance to race in the series. Apart from that the race will be a crcker!
Old 20 Oct 2004, 08:22 (Ref:1129115)   #15
fobi0
Rookie

fobi0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
^^ Josh Hunt wasn't even competitive in Atlantics so imo, he's not ready for Champ Cars quite yet.
When you have drivers that wasn't even competitive in Barber Dodge being proclaimed as ready by members of the media, I don't think it matters.

It probably came down to whether Besnard or Hunt handed in their checks first.
I can race in Champcar today."
- JohnSSC
Old 20 Oct 2004, 08:47 (Ref:1129141)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
actually no Fobio , because both of them are funded by the exact same person , it was the sponsor that decided to give Besnard the shot over Hunt not a matter of cash.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 16:49 (Ref:1129677)   #17
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Re: Besnard in with Walker at Surfers

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_S
The drive should have gone to Josh Hunt, but he elected not to take it because he wanted to focus on securing his drive in the Toyota Atlantic series for next season.

As a result Besnard was invited to test the car and impressed enough to secure the drive.
The drive was SUPPOSED to have gone to Josh Hunt, but I wouldn't say the drive SHOULD have gone to him. Also I don't think Hunt elected not to take the ride, so much as he was deemed not ready for the ride.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 05:14 (Ref:1131438)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
what I have found odd if you have a look at this picture http://www.champcarworldseries.com/C...1022P_0016.jpg it clearly states PKV racing , but Besnard is driving for Walker ?

anyone know why this could be ?
Old 22 Oct 2004, 05:15 (Ref:1131439)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Great detective work!
Old 22 Oct 2004, 05:19 (Ref:1131442)   #20
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is he running a Lola ? Probably a PKVR car cause they wanted a Lola, even though it's under the Walker Banner. Purely a guess.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 05:22 (Ref:1131445)   #21
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Na, he's running a Reynard according to timing and scoring, so my guess is wringing with wrongability.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 08:45 (Ref:1131595)   #22
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
yeah its a Reynard , I guess the original deal was done with PKV , the drive was meant to replace Gonzalez for one race but i guess PKV pushed them into the Walker deal and thus wanted a sticker on the car ?
Old 22 Oct 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1131654)   #23
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus,

No it wasn't to replace Gonzalez, it was always supposed to be a third car. Perhaps PKV realised they could not not run three under the cirsumstances and sublet the contravct to Walker, or it was re-negotiated by Gore.

Considering team and car, Bezzie has done rather well. Has had no chance to test push to pass however, and has yet to source a strategy on how to use it.

All drives have an extra 15 seconds of push to pass this weekend.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1131659)   #24
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Having 19-car grids for Surfers and Mexico is a real positive for the championship. Besnard seems unliekly to look towards doing a full season in CART at this stage (and in any case he'd probably need a season in Atlantics first), but Janis and Valiente could reasonably bring full sponsorship packages (and considerable talent) to the 2005 field full time. The worst case would mean that it's 3 new drivers getting a ChampCar chance, two of them from countries with no other 2004 invovlement.
Besnard has been stating regularly throughout the weekend this is a one off and he is committed to V8Supercar next year. Committed but not contracted it should be pointed out.
Old 23 Oct 2004, 09:41 (Ref:1132774)   #25
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
what I have found odd if you have a look at this picture http://www.champcarworldseries.com/C...1022P_0016.jpg it clearly states PKV racing , but Besnard is driving for Walker ?

anyone know why this could be ?
Because although he is running a Walker Reynard, Kevin Kalkhoven has also put in a fair whack of cash to get this ride up and running.