Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Jun 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1001106)   #1
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
330cd or 330Ci

I'm looking to change my car to either a BMW 330cd or 330ci in the next month or so and was wondering what the general thoughts are about the latest crop of diesels in coupes. I'v heard that they'r superb and when chipped chuck out serious grunt, but, I love the smoothness of the petrol and it can be had as a demo for a few grand cheaper.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 08:51 (Ref:1007642)   #2
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I am generally not a fan of diesels, but if I was to buy one it would be the 330cd.

It's quite a tricky one as the sound and smoothness of the 330ci would be superb, but the pocket might suggest that the 330cd is the better option. Id'd probably go for the ci, but I did recently read that the cd is the most well-rounded car in the world at present.

Let us know which one you pick and how it performs!
Old 18 Jun 2004, 09:43 (Ref:1007680)   #3
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a mate of mine sells bimmers, he tells me that if he can get a prospective buyer to drive the diesel variants without telling them that it isntt petrol, a large percentage are now buying the diesel.
Quite a reversal since we have not had many Euro diesels here, and until very recently were in smelly trucks and light commercials.
Badly maintained jap imports don't help the diesel image though. (which there are plenty of)
Old 18 Jun 2004, 10:59 (Ref:1007752)   #4
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Before I offer my opinion, I should tell you that I live in a particular part of Cheshire that has driven me to despise the BMW 3-series... or more accurately, the stereotypical Wilmslow 3-series driver. In that context, the 330Ci is only driven by people who can't afford an M3 and who simply treat cars like every other fashion label. (Thus demonstrating their complete automotive ignorance - everyone knows a 911 is far superior! )...

If my choice was limited to a straight pick between a 330Ci and a 330Cd, it would depend on the kind of mileage I was doing. Anything approaching 20k a year or more and I'd definitely pick the diesel. After all, it is the best diesel unit on the market.

Purely a personal choice, being old and hating 3 series drivers , I'd pick a new (ex-demo) 530d instead.

Last edited by garcon; 18 Jun 2004 at 11:00.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 22:09 (Ref:1013953)   #5
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I test drove the X5 diesel today and the 3.0 petrol X5 both of them were exellent but I think the petrol is coming home with me.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1013971)   #6
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Topwelshman, spend the extra and get an M3 - you won't regret it, its twice the car the 330 is. Even better get a fully loaded M3 a year or so old for the price of a new 330.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 03:59 (Ref:1014124)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As an Australian, i'm finding it very hard to reconcile Coupe and Diesel in the same sentence.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1016727)   #8
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
I can't afford an M3 as I am running the car privately off my allowance and do 30,000 a year. I'd have to dip into personal money which I don't want to do as most of that goes on racing BMW's..

I've been offered a June '04 330cd sport for under 29k, 4k less than a comparable new one. Problem is that it only has Alcantara/cloth seats (very nice)not leather, but it has Bluetooth, Centre Armrest, 6 CD, Metallic. I can get a similar spec 330ci sport for around 27k with leather. Any thoughts? I'm conscious that people buying the car as a second hand car will want a decent spec.

I can't see the point in buying new as in 2 years when I change the car, the petrol and diesel will only be worth around 15k, and a new one will be about the same but will have cost at least 6 k more!

I drove the 330ci and the midrange was lacking alot. I'm leaning towards the diesel as it's cheaper to run, has free servicing and more importantly has so much more grunt. Also when chipped it'll do the 0-60 under 6 secs and the 50-70 is supposed to be better than an m3,so I'm told.

Don't really give a if people think it's a car for people who can't afford an M3, cos that would be true! The 5 series is SO SO boring and I'd prefer to put my money into racing an M3

Last edited by Bluebottle; 26 Jun 2004 at 20:40.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1016940)   #9
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by topwelshman
in 2 years when I change the car,.....

:confused:
Why not look for something that will last more than 2 years? Or am I missing something?
Old 26 Jun 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1017012)   #10
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
I do 30,000 /year and from experience no one wants a 33k car that has done 90,000 in 3 years and also I don't want to keeo it 3 years as I get bored. And, there is a new 3 series out next Autumn and I expect that 2 years from now the new coupe variant will be unveiled, and we all know what a new model does to the residual values of the older model.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 10:43 (Ref:1017307)   #11
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
Drove another 330ci this am, for some reason it was better than the last one, think it's a case of having to get used to the 6 speed box and use it more - I think I've decided to go petrol as all the low mileage demonstrators/3-6 month old used cars have better spec and are alot cheaper than a new diesel. The cheaper finance will offset any savings in fuel / servicing.

So,I suppose I'm going to have to look like someone who can't afford an M3, god life is hard!

Last edited by topwelshman; 27 Jun 2004 at 10:47.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 08:43 (Ref:1018457)   #12
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

you'll only look like someone who can't afford an M3 if you come to Wilmslow... honest.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1019278)   #13
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff

I'll take your word for it!
Old 3 Jul 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1024988)   #14
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
I've finally done it. I've paid the deposit on a 330ci sport, it's an '04 demonstrator in Mystic Blue and with 4,500miles on the clock and has Sat Nav + Tv, Lt Yellow Excl Nappa Leather, Bluetooth, Harmon Kardon Hi Fi, 6 CD, Centre Armrest and Xenon lights. Just wish I could have afforded the M3!
Old 3 Jul 2004, 19:46 (Ref:1025138)   #15
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alright for some! 4 wheels and an engine and i'll be a happy man!
Old 8 Jul 2004, 05:05 (Ref:1029850)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Congrats on your lovely purchase topwelshman

Let us know how its going
Old 8 Jul 2004, 22:55 (Ref:1030758)   #17
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
cheers, will do - should be picking it up next week
Old 28 Jul 2004, 03:42 (Ref:1049409)   #18
therealdeal
Rookie

United States
Miami, FL
therealdeal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have a 98 M3 and i love it.... i have a couple mods and engine work done nothing big and im even with the e46 M3's

but any bmw is a great purchase and you will love the 330ci
Old 13 Aug 2004, 19:51 (Ref:1065361)   #19
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
The 330 is so so smooth and a really good drive but there's a fwe things I'd like to improve:-.
Low down torque is non existent - needs an extra 50hp!
Too heavy
A tad too much body roll but better than all the competition
HK Speakers are t**s for the dosh
Bluetooth is so unrelaible and nore dangerous than holding the phone to the ear!
The stealers are shocking and don't give 2 flucks about satisfaction

Apart from all that it's a great car and I'm very happy with it