Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Nov 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3326895)   #351
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He sounds demotivated judging by his comments on the BBC website. Prost, who we can ignore if we wish, suggests he will need to change his approach next year.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 10:18 (Ref:3326932)   #352
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'll find his confidence again once he has a winning car. That's all he needs in my opinion, to be sure he can fight for the WDC.

When he got those poles in Silverstone, Germany and Hungary he was driving better and better and seemed fully motivated. Then after Spa when Vettel won the race and halted Lewis and Merc's momentum, Lewis went backwards again.
At least that's how I see it. His best result since Spa is 5th, whereas Rosberg has scored a couple of podiums, finished ahead of Hamilton in 5 of those 6 races, and outscored him 63 to 36. So it's not the car.

But to be fair, I think that's just part of the problem. His driving style is too aggressive for these tyres and he is struggling to adapt. And add to that the fact that he is the only top driver to change teams and he has had to adapt to a new car too, which is very different from the stiff McLarens he used to drive his entire F1 career.

We can expect a better season for him next year I believe. He'll know the team better, he'll know the car better, and according to Pirelli the tyres will be more durable so he won't struggle to maintain a consistent pace throughout a whole stint.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3326936)   #353
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I hope Nico does overhaul Lewis' points total. He's had more pace throughout the season, with a mid-season blip not being his fault, and without the car breaking on him at Hungary and Australia he'd already be ahead in the points.
How is Nico's 4-race Canada-Hungary slump not his fault?
Old 4 Nov 2013, 10:55 (Ref:3326947)   #354
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
He'll find his confidence again once he has a winning car. That's all he needs in my opinion, to be sure he can fight for the WDC.
So all the time he doesn't have a winning car he's just an "average" driver? What he needs to be doing is beating Nico whatever the equipment they have at their disposal.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3326993)   #355
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'm not making a definitely pronouncement, but is this perhaps indicative of a fundamental psychological frailty in Lewis? Some of the best have it - Alonso spitting the dummy at McLaren, Reutemann choking at the last race in 1981 - and it doesn't diminish his speed or ability, but it does look a little bit like Hamilton needs everything to be going well, personally as well as professionally, to get the very best out of himself. Of course, Lewis at 95% is still pretty damned good.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3327014)   #356
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
So all the time he doesn't have a winning car he's just an "average" driver? What he needs to be doing is beating Nico whatever the equipment they have at their disposal.
He is one of the best drivers no matter what car he is driving, no doubt.
But maybe his motivation/confidence is affected when he knows he can't win. Or maybe it's Vettel's run that is depressing him, or maybe he misses that girlfriend he had.
I don't know, I'm not trying to make excuses for him, but it's strange how his mood swings from an extreme to the other so easily, and how that seems to show in his results, isn't it ?

Nico is praising the development of the car lately, telling the media he is very happy and everything is improving, Lewis OTOH can't find an explanation for his lack of pace in the race.
Hamilton was in traffic most of the time, but the difference is big. 20s in the last 20 laps.

Old 4 Nov 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3327053)   #357
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
He is one of the best drivers no matter what car he is driving, no doubt.
But maybe his motivation/confidence is affected when he knows he can't win. Or maybe it's Vettel's run that is depressing him, or maybe he misses that girlfriend he had.
I don't know, I'm not trying to make excuses for him, but it's strange how his mood swings
I'm not saying he isn't one of the best, trouble is, the team pays him to deliver his best no matter what the circumstance. It would appear that stuff like his separation from Nicole has affected him but compare that with Fernando and Kimi, who have both, as I understand it, recently gone through divorces, but their on track performances haven't suffered as a consequence.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3327128)   #358
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Rosberg was very impressive in yesterdays GP. Pity that he had some bad luck with reliability at the beginning of the season.

Hamilton's probably beginning to wonder if Rosberg is just any other team mate.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3327144)   #359
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hamilton has been pretty average since Italy really and Rosberg has continued to plug away and is impressing again after his lull, especially on the run of Tilke tracks which he seems to enjoy so much (he is ace at all the twiddly technical stuff).

On the balance of the season I would say Rosberg is starting to edge ahead, but it has been a pretty good season for Hamilton all the same. It is just a shame he seems to have tailed away at the end.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3327145)   #360
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd be surprised if Lewis ever thought that Nico was 'just any other team mate'. I'm sure he thought he could beat him most of the time but I doubt that he expected to lord over Nico like Vettel has over Webber.....
Old 4 Nov 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3327158)   #361
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I'm not saying he isn't one of the best, trouble is, the team pays him to deliver his best no matter what the circumstance. It would appear that stuff like his separation from Nicole has affected him but compare that with Fernando and Kimi, who have both, as I understand it, recently gone through divorces, but their on track performances haven't suffered as a consequence.
I don't really know about the status of the driver's relationships because it is thoroughly disinteresting, but it is obvious that people will react differently to such things. And separations aren't all the same; whilst Lewis is possibly devastated, another man may be delighted to be free of his marriage and reinvigorated. It isn't really a character weakness, even if it is somewhat unhelpful at times.

But I don't think his performance of late is down to lack of focus, it is just one of those little periods of time where a driver seems to struggle with things whilst, at the same time, his teammate seems to have found a groove. It happens to them all. Heck, even Fernando has looked less than impressive at times compared to Massa this season, unthinkable twelve months ago.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3327222)   #362
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe it's more to do with Nico than Hamilton, Nico's always been hot and cold. His time with MS sometimes he was dominant, then other times MS was way in front.

Another season as teammates if Nico can prove he's as good as Hamilton, and MS proved he's pretty equal to Nico in 2012, then that means a 40yo MS is = to Nico/Hammo in their prime. Which means MS in his prime is > than Nico/Hammo in their prime. yay
Old 4 Nov 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3327223)   #363
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No matter how many times you look at them, some sums just do not add up, do they.... Bloody maths.......
Old 4 Nov 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3327225)   #364
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I don't really know about the status of the driver's relationships because it is thoroughly disinteresting, but it is obvious that people will react differently to such things. And separations aren't all the same; whilst Lewis is possibly devastated, another man may be delighted to be free of his marriage and reinvigorated. It isn't really a character weakness, even if it is somewhat unhelpful at times.
Sh-t if Nicole Switchenburgerwhatever dumped me, I'd be devastated as well. But did she dump him, or was it mutual? Maybe it never did affect his racing like everyone thought it did.

Remember when Schumi's mummy died just before a race weekend, then he goes and wins the race. If you can still win under that condition, then Hammo having a multiple race slump because he misses his gf seems a pretty weak character. I'd use the dumping and turn it into aggression to improve my race speed, not be driving around with tears in my eyes.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3327232)   #365
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Sh-t if Nicole Switchenburgerwhatever dumped me, I'd be devastated as well. But did she dump him, or was it mutual? Maybe it never did affect his racing like everyone thought it did.

Remember when Schumi's mummy died just before a race weekend, then he goes and wins the race. If you can still win under that condition, then Hammo having a multiple race slump because he misses his gf seems a pretty weak character. I'd use the dumping and turn it into aggression to improve my race speed, not be driving around with tears in my eyes.
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Why do people find Nicole Whatsherface attractive?

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 4 Nov 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3327234)   #366
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whether it's woman trouble or something else, Lewis doesn't appear to be in a good place right now... and he seems to be unable to compartmentalise it away from his driving.

In terms of the root cause, I wonder whether the management upheaval taking place at MB, and in particular the uncertainty over Ross Brawn, has anything to do with it. Brawn was pivotal in attracting Lewis there.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3327236)   #367
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've been impressed by Nico's driving, a win at Monaco is a big win.

Hamilton's one of the fastest drivers in F1... when he's on his A-game. But if all the stars don't align he loses a bit of his edge.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 4 Nov 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3327246)   #368
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post

Well yes, but people are different as I said.

When my father died last year I went back to work a couple of weeks later as if nothing had happened (although emotion caught up many months later). Whereas someone else would be a wreck and have to use their entire holiday allowance for the year before they went back to work and still be in bits after that.

Does that make them weak? Does that make me cold? No, we're just people.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3327257)   #369
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Well yes, but people are different as I said.

When my father died last year I went back to work a couple of weeks later as if nothing had happened (although emotion caught up many months later). Whereas someone else would be a wreck and have to use their entire holiday allowance for the year before they went back to work and still be in bits after that.

Does that make them weak? Does that make me cold? No, we're just people.
Well said that man.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3327291)   #370
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... oh yes. If there's one thing that can turn the life of a man upside down, make him out of his mind, push him down and spin around, make him feel miserable, lose his dignity and feel like the last human being on the planet... that's a woman.

And I mean in both ways, good or bad.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3327299)   #371
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Uhn... oh yes. If there's one thing that can turn the life of a man upside down, make him out of his mind, push him down and spin around, make him feel miserable, lose his dignity and feel like the last human being on the planet... that's a woman.

And I mean in both ways, good or bad.
I agree.

I think that is one reason Dario had a winless season in Indycar this year, a 4 time Champ with a great team. He's been separated from his wife.

It affects different people differently.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 7 Nov 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3328556)   #372
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I will admit that I do kind of prefer hot/cold drivers like Hamilton who only have a thin veneer of professionalism but are probably only just containing an inner core that's nuttier than an explosion in the Snickers factory. They're the ones that tend to have the most entertaining flashes of brilliance. See Senna, Hunt, Hakkinen etc for details.
Old 8 Nov 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3328946)   #373
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
I will admit that I do kind of prefer hot/cold drivers like Hamilton who only have a thin veneer of professionalism but are probably only just containing an inner core that's nuttier than an explosion in the Snickers factory. They're the ones that tend to have the most entertaining flashes of brilliance. See Senna, Hunt, Hakkinen etc for details.
Very good point, these drivers have much more mass appeal than the automatons and pure PR media factory spawned bores. The Lewis's Ayrton's, Gilles and Montoya's of this world are far more likely to have some kind of flashpoint at some time or other that will either enthral us with on track genius moments, or some off track indiscretion!

Should drivers where their hearts on their sleeves? Heck don't even bother with the sleeves!!
Old 9 Nov 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3329297)   #374
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Why do people find Nicole Whatsherface attractive?

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
The Venison was delicious and I generously tipped the waitress , so can I make an off topic remark ? I don't understand why people find Nicole S@@tslinger attractive either
Old 9 Nov 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3329332)   #375
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
The Venison was delicious and I generously tipped the waitress , so can I make an off topic remark ? I don't understand why people find Nicole S@@tslinger attractive either
Venison ? I don't like Veal ! During Abu Dhabi when Massa made that great move around Hammy and he shouted down the radio "I have no grip " . There has to be something affecting him at the moment , not very often you see Lewis lose 2 places like that . Nico is looking the stronger driver at the moment .