Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 May 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3410045)   #501
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis was heard singing Drake's "Started from the bottom now we're here" in the garage during qualifying in earshot of Nico. I guess it didn't work.

Last edited by F1Pete; 24 May 2014 at 23:01.
Old 24 May 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3410050)   #502
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
I don't think it's so much a weakness, more that Hamilton believes he is better than/deserves to win more than Rosberg because of where he came from.
Exactly. Just meaningless chit chat really, isn't it?

I personally think his point about his background is complete nonsense, it is doubtful that it has any bearing on his hunger relative to Rosberg. Even though he hasn't been born into privilege like Nico has, it was a privilege brought about by Keke's gutsy determination and drive, something I expect he will have drilled into Nico.

But is it a window into the psyche, will it affect anything? No. Hamilton will continue to emit hot air, Nico will continue to ignore it, both will continue to drive to exactly the same excellent standard.
Old 24 May 2014, 22:57 (Ref:3410052)   #503
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Things need to be cleared up. He didnt say he was hungrier. He answered a question on a formula1.com interview- http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...4/5/15845.html
Quote:
Q: It looks almost certain that it will be you and your team mate Nico Rosberg fighting for the title. One German publication asked last weekend whether Nico is too soft for that fight - because you have more killer instinct. Is that so?
LH: Let me tell you this: I come from a not-great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad’s apartment - and Nico grew up in Monaco with jets and hotels and boats and all these kind of things - so the hunger is different. I want to be the hungriest guy in the cockpit from all 22 of us - even if every driver has to believe that he’s the hungriest - because if I were to come here believing that Nico is hungrier than me then I might as well go home. So I’ve got to be the hungriest - to win the world championship you need to be the hungriest.
All hes saying is they have different motivations. His hunger is motivated by his past hardship, Nico is different. Maybe his hunger is to better his dad Keke and live up to the expectations from having "all the best" in his childhood.

People and journalists like to make more of it than it really is. All this about he should just let his driving do the talking- well he has! 4 wins in his 4 finishes. Cant ask for more than that.

As for todays qualifying, I believe Rosberg pulled a Shumacher '06 move and got away with it.
Old 24 May 2014, 23:01 (Ref:3410054)   #504
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As for todays qualifying, I believe Rosberg pulled a Shumacher '06 move and got away with it.
Absolutely not! This no way compares to what Schumacher did. Total error by Rosberg.
Old 24 May 2014, 23:21 (Ref:3410058)   #505
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Absolutely not! This no way compares to what Schumacher did. Total error by Rosberg.
Were suppose to believe it was a mistake because "he was pushing", if that were the case why was he already over a tenth off his best in S1? He blew that first sector and started swerving, taking a totally different line than the lap before. Nico wasnt caught off guard.
Old 24 May 2014, 23:45 (Ref:3410064)   #506
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You've not really got any compelling evidence there. Or, indeed, any at all.

The most likely explanation is that he made a mistake. Maybe because he was down on his spilt, maybe just because racing drivers do, more so in these cars.
Old 25 May 2014, 00:05 (Ref:3410068)   #507
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He wasn't taking a different line. The BBC showed a replay of his pole lap and the mistake lap side by side, he takes the same line.If you want to be pedantic then you could argue he was a couple of centimetres off, but you can't expect him to be 100% on the same line throughout the whole lap. Also in regards to the comments about someone telling Nico on the radio that Hamilton was going faster, the only person who would talk to him during qualy would be his race engineer, and because Rosberg was on a flying lap he wouldn't have interrupted him just to say Lewis is going quickly.
Old 25 May 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3410072)   #508
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toto Wolff was interviewed prior to Monaco qualifying and was asked if Hamilton and Rosberg will clash. He replied:

“The question is not if, but when. They are both very intelligent and talented and they have raced each other for decades. So they know each other much better than everybody thinks.

“I am still hopeful that the ‘when’ will not happen. If it happens we will wait to see whether it complies with our philosophy. Do we let them race, and leave it as their responsibility, or do we have to step in and recalibrate our strategy, in terms of how they race each other.”

Read the rest HERE.

Recalibration time is very nearly here I would think. But I hope Toto waits untill it actually happens before moving to. Everyone is waiting for carbon fibre from #6 and #44 to be left on the track!
Old 25 May 2014, 00:30 (Ref:3410073)   #509
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Hamilton says he'll sort this out like Senna.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114110
Well Lewis is just making himself look like a bit of a tool with all his 'tough background' and 'I'll drive like Senna' rubbish.

I have the utmost respect for what Senna could do in a car. But his antics on the racetrack were were just plain dangerous, the fact he hardly ever got pulled up for it helped in the degeneration of F1 driving standards. Something which got lost in his martyrdom after his untimely death. To say you'll sort things out on the track like that is just plain stupid.
Old 25 May 2014, 01:14 (Ref:3410078)   #510
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You've not really got any compelling evidence there. Or, indeed, any at all.

The most likely explanation is that he made a mistake. Maybe because he was down on his spilt, maybe just because racing drivers do, more so in these cars.
If we are talking evidence, Mercedes decided to explain away his erratic steering. He was in fact slower on his last lap through sector 1, live timing confirms that. Theres no investigation that will show it wasnt a mistake, thats probably impossible to prove. But that doesnt mean its impossible to happen. I think it was a clever move. Watching the replays there was definitely a difference between his two laps in that area. He could have just waited at the escape road, but he didnt. He backed up on track with traffic coming.
Old 25 May 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3410082)   #511
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This battle is going to get ugly for sure. When, not if...Hamilton is talking like he's going to war and he sounds like a total egomaniac. I enjoy him thrashing Rosberg but how can I continue to be a fan when he has an attitude like that...
Old 25 May 2014, 01:57 (Ref:3410091)   #512
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Who thinks that Hamilton and Rosberg will take each other out?

Hamilton will try to push through, and Rosberg will hold his line?

Vettel and Ricciardo too?
Old 25 May 2014, 02:09 (Ref:3410095)   #513
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think pit strategy will dictate who wins the race and the rest of the order since no passing will occur.
Old 25 May 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3410161)   #514
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Who thinks that Hamilton and Rosberg will take each other out?

Hamilton will try to push through, and Rosberg will hold his line?

That isn't 'taking each other out'. That's fighting for the corner with no intention of giving best to the other. Hamilton could win the 'psychological battle' today if he gets past Rosberg and stays there. I just hope the race isn't won by supposedly 'clever' pit stop strategy.....
Old 25 May 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3410167)   #515
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
If we are talking evidence, Mercedes decided to explain away his erratic steering. He was in fact slower on his last lap through sector 1, live timing confirms that. Theres no investigation that will show it wasnt a mistake, thats probably impossible to prove. But that doesnt mean its impossible to happen. I think it was a clever move. Watching the replays there was definitely a difference between his two laps in that area. He could have just waited at the escape road, but he didnt. He backed up on track with traffic coming.
So there is no concrete evidence either way. Surely it is more likely he just made a mistake.

Taking the there is no evidence, impossible to prove assertion, you must just think Rosberg did it on purpose because you think he is the sort of person to cheat. I wonder why, is it his background?
Old 25 May 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3410173)   #516
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
This is incorrect. 321Go posted an excellent analysis showing Davidson and Herbert analyzing Rosberg's off, he was in fact faster than his previous lap until he got it wrong.
Old 25 May 2014, 08:59 (Ref:3410174)   #517
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So there is no concrete evidence either way. Surely it is more likely he just made a mistake.

Taking the there is no evidence, impossible to prove assertion, you must just think Rosberg did it on purpose because you think he is the sort of person to cheat. I wonder why, is it his background?

Or just a powerful desire to get the advantage over Hamilton - on a track where that advantage is more crucial than anywhere else?

I'm not suggesting that, by the way, but it falls short of the inherent cheat philosophy, which I don't believe for a moment.
Old 25 May 2014, 09:02 (Ref:3410177)   #518
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
I wonder why, is it his background?
Can't be. He's background is Finnish. Only Germans are known for their foul play.
Old 25 May 2014, 09:22 (Ref:3410188)   #519
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is what I can't get my head around.On a track where qualifying position is the most crucial, why would he risk getting a penalty that would send him back to the field? If he starts second he still has a chance to win, starting from the back he's got no chance. Being so close to Hamilton in the points, I don't think he'd do something so risky.
Old 25 May 2014, 09:30 (Ref:3410192)   #520
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
This is what I can't get my head around.On a track where qualifying position is the most crucial, why would he risk getting a penalty that would send him back to the field? If he starts second he still has a chance to win, starting from the back he's got no chance. Being so close to Hamilton in the points, I don't think he'd do something so risky.
Very good point!
Old 25 May 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3410196)   #521
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This is incorrect. 321Go posted an excellent analysis showing Davidson and Herbert analyzing Rosberg's off, he was in fact faster than his previous lap until he got it wrong.
You might want to watch it again wnut. He was down and trying to make up time by the end of sector one, which is just before Mirabeau (T5), which is where he had his off.
Old 25 May 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3410230)   #522
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
You might want to watch it again wnut. He was down and trying to make up time by the end of sector one, which is just before Mirabeau (T5), which is where he had his off.
49 secs takes the curb, gets up on the previous lap, does something odd with the gears, back steps out?

I think Nico is the only person that will ever know the truth!

Tucky's post above regarding the risk of being found out and sent to the back of the grid however would seem to obviate anyone trying it on!

"This is what I can't get my head around.On a track where qualifying position is the most crucial, why would he risk getting a penalty that would send him back to the field? If he starts second he still has a chance to win, starting from the back he's got no chance. Being so close to Hamilton in the points, I don't think he'd do something so risky." Tucky
Old 25 May 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3410233)   #523
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One thing I do agree with Lewis on... he should have nailed pole on his first lap. Everyone knows that the risk of a yellow at Monaco is very high and when you've only two chances to get pole you can't afford to waste either of them. Regarding the other rubbish he's spouting... he'd be well advised to keep it zipped !
Old 25 May 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3410243)   #524
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Or just a powerful desire to get the advantage over Hamilton - on a track where that advantage is more crucial than anywhere else?

I'm not suggesting that, by the way, but it falls short of the inherent cheat philosophy, which I don't believe for a moment.
As was pointed out a few years ago doing that on purpose is despicable cheating. Powerful desire to cheat then. So that is simply what people are, quite easily, accusing Rosberg of doing. As you can tell I find it a little unfair that it is done so easily.
Old 25 May 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3410358)   #525
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The relationship is fomenting quite well now. A couple more races should get it up to the necessary simmer before boiling over in the second half of the season.