Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3414453)   #651
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Which is more petulant/childish/pouty? Being grumpy after losing a race in a season where every single point is going to count, or cheating to win the race in the first place?

Get some balance.
Cheating to win the race? Are you talking about Lewis turning his engine up in Spain to beat a team mate he couldn't deal with otherwise? I wouldn't really call it "cheating" but I guess it was unsportsmanlike.

Or are you talking about the mistake made in Monaco Q? It would need to be deliberate to be "cheating" and in any case was not to win a race but to come out on top in Q. Come the race, it was clear that Nico had better pace than Lewis (even before LH had something in his eye) so the Q "cheat" doesn't seem particularly relevant. I'm with most though, looked like a genuine mistake to me.

Nothing wrong with being grumpy at losing a race but much of the LH petulance was before the race (talking about upbringing & then the reaction to the Q mistake). After the race, I can understand grumpy as they all want to win but when your team mate has driven away from you through the race in the same car, it would be the mark of a grown up to congratulate them on a job well done.

Nothing wrong with my balance thanks mate!
Old 2 Jun 2014, 21:07 (Ref:3414479)   #652
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Interesting when you say, you shudder to think what would have happened to your childhood if you truly knew what your favorite sports heros thoughts on race or gender. Maybe that's a facet of being a good sportsperson, all that's kept under wraps, no one is any the wiser and it isn't allowed it interfere with the task at hand. In that respect then and despite what was going on in Lewis's head, a hand shake would have sufficed and it would have been left at that but as you rightly point out there's the human element and it got the better of Lewis as it has done in the past.
really well said!
Old 2 Jun 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3414508)   #653
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
really well said!
Much appreciated, .
Old 3 Jun 2014, 03:13 (Ref:3414568)   #654
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
really well said!
Ditto ....
Old 3 Jun 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3414704)   #656
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Cheating to win the race? Are you talking about Lewis turning his engine up in Spain to beat a team mate he couldn't deal with otherwise? I wouldn't really call it "cheating" but I guess it was unsportsmanlike.

Or are you talking about the mistake made in Monaco Q? It would need to be deliberate to be "cheating" and in any case was not to win a race but to come out on top in Q. Come the race, it was clear that Nico had better pace than Lewis (even before LH had something in his eye) so the Q "cheat" doesn't seem particularly relevant. I'm with most though, looked like a genuine mistake to me.

Nothing wrong with being grumpy at losing a race but much of the LH petulance was before the race (talking about upbringing & then the reaction to the Q mistake). After the race, I can understand grumpy as they all want to win but when your team mate has driven away from you through the race in the same car, it would be the mark of a grown up to congratulate them on a job well done.

Nothing wrong with my balance thanks mate!
In two cars the same, at Monaco, the man on pole will almost always win (It's not a race per-se, more a procession of fast cars with the fastest at the front). So you come out top in quali, you are more than likely to win. LH was on a faster lap at the end of quali -he was possibly going to get pole and therefore the win. His slightly slower race pace is fairly irrelevant since NR would be unable to overtake given the almost perfectly matched cars.

Note, I am NOT saying the NR stopped deliberately. Just that I can see LH point of view and why he might be upset at what happened. He likely lost that race because NR stopped, not because he was slower. I think that is cause for being a bit cheesed off, and not a reason for the slagging he is getting.

People should appreciate that LH is LH and not Justin Beiber.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 11:20 (Ref:3414705)   #657
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guy is a champion for so many reasons outside of any race result.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 11:21 (Ref:3414708)   #658
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't agree with you about the global 24hour news necessarily affecting sporting conduct. There are many modern sports men and women who live up to 'my standard'.
Of course there are, because there are a hell of a lot of sportmen and women out there there are bound to be some chilled ones.

But how many of those are right at the very top of their sport, and get the sort of attention people at the top of F1 get? And are under the same pressure?

You can afford to be magnanimous when you are not competing at the very top...
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3414712)   #659
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Cracking bloke that one. When someone has a talent for talking, it really shows, as it does when you don't have one...Guy is lucky in that he certainly has a talent for riding as well as talking!
Old 3 Jun 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3414714)   #660
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...cheating to win the race in the first place
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
I am NOT saying the NR stopped deliberately.

Old 3 Jun 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3414730)   #661
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Of course there are, because there are a hell of a lot of sportmen and women out there there are bound to be some chilled ones.

But how many of those are right at the very top of their sport, and get the sort of attention people at the top of F1 get? And are under the same pressure?

You can afford to be magnanimous when you are not competing at the very top...
I can think of a number of sportsmen and women who are at the top of their sport and who get far more media attentrion than F1 drivers do. F1 is not the most popular sport in the world.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 13:28 (Ref:3414762)   #662
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Note, I am NOT saying the NR stopped deliberately. Just that I can see LH point of view and why he might be upset at what happened. He likely lost that race because NR stopped, not because he was slower. I think that is cause for being a bit cheesed off, and not a reason for the slagging he is getting.
Only cheesed off with himself (!)

Putting aside the allegations of cheating, by his own admission, Lewis should have set his fastest lap first. He didn't, which meant that he had to try again... which in turn meant that he was exposed to yellow flags, red flags not to mention the chance of a mistake he might make. To say he was on a faster lap is direct from the book of racing drivers' excuses... because you only know whether or not it's a faster lap when you've crossed the line !
Old 3 Jun 2014, 14:12 (Ref:3414782)   #663
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Putting aside the allegations of cheating, by his own admission, Lewis should have set his fastest lap first. He didn't, which meant that he had to try again... which in turn meant that he was exposed to yellow flags, red flags not to mention the chance of a mistake he might make. To say he was on a faster lap is direct from the book of racing drivers' excuses... because you only know whether or not it's a faster lap when you've crossed the line !

i agree completely. i also agree that drivers making excuses is such a common thing that a joke reference to there being a book of such excuses is plausible given how useless and transparent their explanations usually are.

in other words it implies that drivers moaning about stuff is in fact such a common thing that one is left wondering why this particular common and banal moan has drawn so much ire.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3414815)   #664
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I agree too, davyboy; nothing is guaranteed; he could also have gone down the escape road and finished 'parked' next to NR.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 05:55 (Ref:3415089)   #665
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yeah, I agree too, davyboy; nothing is guaranteed; he could also have gone down the escape road and finished 'parked' next to NR.
Now that would have been funny!!!!
Old 4 Jun 2014, 06:43 (Ref:3415096)   #666
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Only cheesed off with himself (!)

Very true mate, very true. No guarantees in sport - the whole idea of needing to put in a gun lap near the end of Qual in Monaco is fraught with risk. In this case, his team mate overcooked it but it could have been any other car or LH himself - "if" or "if only" doesn't win you anything.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3415185)   #667
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Very true mate, very true. No guarantees in sport - the whole idea of needing to put in a gun lap near the end of Qual in Monaco is fraught with risk. In this case, his team mate overcooked it but it could have been any other car or LH himself - "if" or "if only" doesn't win you anything.
I must admit that I have never understood this last minute qualifying nonsense!
Old 4 Jun 2014, 12:57 (Ref:3415190)   #668
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the question of whether NR could have engineered the incident with sufficient skill to allow officials to give him the benefit of the doubt, I would say absolutely yes.

At the 2008 BGP I was stationed at Copse Exit which gave me a perfect line of sight on cars going wide at Copse. Michael Schumacher (God help him) was going just wide enough on every lap for me to radio it in. After a number of laps I told race control he was doing it every lap. They told me they would get the Race Director to have a word with his team.

On the very next lap Michael went wide - but not wide enough for me to be certain. And every lap thereafter, he went wide, but not wide enough for me to be assured of making the right call.

I was a masterpiece of driving. At 130mph he was judging a slide to within an inch - every single time.

The best F1 drivers are like fighter pilots and in complete command of their machines to a level we will probably never comprehend. On that basis I would say NR had both the skill and motivation to pull off this bit of gamesmanship to the point where the Stewards, or anyone else, would not be able to make the call. Maybe that's what got LH into a huff.

One thing is certain - it's got LH's dander up! And we could do with a lot more dander in F1. Canada will be interesting.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3415226)   #669
Cookie85
Rookie

Cookie85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree with numbersix here, whether he did it deliberately or not only he knows, but he definitely had the skill and ability to be able to pull it off.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:10 (Ref:3415235)   #670
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Two differing takes on the Hamilton/Rosberg situation.

Toto Wolff thinks he can control it,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114243

and Robert Kubica thinks tensions will continue.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114263
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3415253)   #671
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Wolff has it sussed. If there was another team biting at their heals, the balancing act would be trickier but that really isn't the case unless Ferrari or Red Bull have some astonishing mid season revolution in form.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 15:53 (Ref:3415283)   #672
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pretty much right. In fact, given the dominance Merc have right now, a feud between the two drivers is actually a good thing. It keeps the spotlight on the front whereas otherwise attention would be diverted to the battle for third. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the whole thing's been staged !
Old 5 Jun 2014, 08:33 (Ref:3415630)   #673
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I must admit that I have never understood this last minute qualifying nonsense!
Really? The tracks beds in with every second an F1 car is on it running at speed, and gets faster as the grip levels rise due to the increased level of rubber on the track. Rubber sticks to rubber much better than rubber sticks to tarmac.

That said, I'm a firm believer in getting a banker lap in before the last few minutes of qualifying, but because of the above, it's not going to be the fastest lap if the session completes without incident.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 12:57 (Ref:3415718)   #674
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Really? The tracks beds in with every second an F1 car is on it running at speed, and gets faster as the grip levels rise due to the increased level of rubber on the track. Rubber sticks to rubber much better than rubber sticks to tarmac.

That said, I'm a firm believer in getting a banker lap in before the last few minutes of qualifying, but because of the above, it's not going to be the fastest lap if the session completes without incident.
You are correct, I don't however believe that the track gets that much better in the last seconds of the final session, however this is usually when the fuel load is the lightest so the times are the quickest.
I would have just moved the whole process up a little, so if someone does get a yellow and the session is stopped you could still sort out the mess and put in the banzai lap.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3415728)   #675
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:

This is less relevant at Monaco though... and is heavily outweighed by the risks I indicated earlier.