Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Dec 2003, 22:15 (Ref:817070)   #1
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM predictions

A question to those who know more of DTM than I do - what do you next season will look like? Will Opel fulfill the promise of its new team? Will Mercedes continue to dominate?
I also wondered how you think Frentzen will adapt to the new category. Because Alesi has done well, but not as well as I had expected.

Last edited by santori; 20 Dec 2003 at 22:20.
Old 21 Dec 2003, 01:10 (Ref:817178)   #2
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Audi could prove to be the big suprise. With full factory backing, could they remind DTM fans of the Audi Evos years back in the early 80s?

I love Opel, but I'm not sure if they can improve enough to win a championship?

Surely, MB must have the upper hand? They have poured some much time and money into develping the series.

OTOH, the equalizing factor is that all 3 will be "new" to a sedan bodystyle? Let's hope that puts everyone back to drawing board?
Old 21 Dec 2003, 15:25 (Ref:817467)   #3
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Audi as a full works team next year, the title will be between them and Merc! But Opel will still win races - look at the drivers and effort they are putting towards 2004. I don't think we'll truly know until the season starts though!
Old 21 Dec 2003, 19:43 (Ref:817599)   #4
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I hope Opel will be competitive, I am affraid of saying they will charging for championship, but I think they will. OPC have signed 'star' line-up, with names onboard they're champions, but... I don't know whom I would pick as OPC's top driver at the end of 2004.

Mercedes as always will be very strong, but we have very little information from their camp. I hope Albers' staying in HWA, what he can achieve in Minardi ? With HWA he can do great things. When will Mercees release their line-up?

Audi is back as factory, and I think (sorry) they have no chance with Opel and Mercedes, but we have to wait till first tests. Opel is determine to do the job right.

DTM will be great championship next year. As ATF wrote we have to for tests, at least.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 20:20 (Ref:818455)   #5
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's going to start getting complecated. Just like every time manufactuers get involved.
It's gonna be 96 all over again.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 14:18 (Ref:819022)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I hope Albers' staying in HWA, what he can achieve in Minardi ? With HWA he can do great things.
Bruni and Baumgartner will drive for Minardi in 2004. And indeed better racing for the championship in DTM than on the last row in F1.

I think the race for championship will be between Mercedes and Audi. Opel has a very strong drivers and they need to score victories.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 23:17 (Ref:824014)   #7
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think Opel will be alot closer but the battle will be between Audi and Benz again. I reckon Audi could pip it again!!!
Old 3 Jan 2004, 13:51 (Ref:826494)   #8
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paffett could do an Albers this year I think.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 00:01 (Ref:826957)   #9
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex
Allen Mead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be nice if Opel were committed financially as Audi or MB.

Personally, I don't see any reason why Opel couldn't be as good as either Audi or MB. Come on Opel, get the cheque book out.

Last edited by Allen Mead; 4 Jan 2004 at 00:03.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 07:43 (Ref:827172)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Mead
It would be nice if Opel were committed financially as Audi or MB.

Personally, I don't see any reason why Opel couldn't be as good as either Audi or MB. Come on Opel, get the cheque book out.
Why would say Opel is not as committed financially as Audi and Mercedes? Have factory budgets been discussed or mentioned somewhere? Or do you think their poor erformance is simply the result of insufficient financial support? I've been under the impression that Opel is trying very hard, but somehow, their cars are just not as fast as the competitions?
Old 4 Jan 2004, 13:26 (Ref:827353)   #11
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex
Allen Mead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's more personal opinion than anything else. Vauxhall/Opel have always tried to dis-associate themselves with motorsport. They've never had a fully committed motorsport development programme.

I think the cars are good and reasonably well set up and as you've said, I think they're also trying hard, they just don't seem to have the financial backing.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 06:03 (Ref:827935)   #12
kmchow
Veteran

OTOH, I kinda can see your point. Opel wants to be able to "see" a return on their motorsport involvement. I think manufacturers like Audi and especially Mercedes, are in it more for the glory. Ditto for Toyota in recent years, no expense spared!
Old 5 Jan 2004, 06:56 (Ref:827966)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Paying zillions to get drivers wont cure technical issues...

Bring back Eggenberger or RML or 888!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods